Growing in the closet

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Chronitron, Sep 22, 2013.

1. This first post is just the explanation and the request for help. Pictures and progress will be posted as made and taken. I thank everyone in advance for all input and advice.

I rent a house with 3 other room mates (one on the side, one in the room above). There aren't any good spots in the house other than my closet where I would trust a grow to either go unnoticed or go right. I want to grow just enough to pay for the nutrients and electricity and to have enough to smoke during each cycle (12-16 weeks including dry time).

The space is about 6 feet long and just under 2 feet deep. There is a bar going all the way acorss the closet (to mount a light to). Being that the space won't hold an ebb and flow table, I will be forced to either build my own or go with a DWC grow, so I'm leaning to DWC. However, I have never attempted a DWC grow. While I am doing my research on past topics here as well as through some books I've kept as my own growing bibles, I would love to have some direct input and suggestions, tips and tricks that have worked for others in the past. 

To maximize yield, I will be going with a SCROG grow with 4-8 plants (pending use of either half or all of the closet space - assuming I can find room for everything I have in there to be moved somewhere else in the house) each in it's own 5 gallon bucket. 

(Per Half) I will be using a 400watt HPS (if I feel I can get away with it, I will bump up to 600 next cycle). 

So here's where the need for advice comes in...

* With a room mate above me, and renting the house, I am wondering about installing the exhaust fan and keeping it stealth. Every wall either leads to another room or to the exterior brick wall, so mounting it straight to the wall is out. However, If I install it to the half of the closet that won't be in use, if I leave that half cracked or open (or somewhere in the middle) would that be enough to help keep the temperature down?

* I've never done a DWC. Can I get someone with proven success to gimme a few pointers on starting out and keeping a well maintained grow?

* I also need to be able to keep the smell down during and after the grow during harvest time. While I know a carbon filter will help during the grow, what are some good closet techniques to help with odors during and after? (this is my first grow in a house not owned or not in a warehouse)

Again, thanks in advance to all who decide to gimme a few words. 

2. Hey man best of luck to you on your grow. I see your looking to go with dwc, not sure if you have heard of using the hempy bucket method but I would definitely suggest it. It's easy and very effective however the only real drawback is you would have to hand water, unless you come up with some automated watering system.

I would need to see some pictures to make comment on odor and exhaust issues.

Goodluck!