Growing in soil- really green beginner

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by juallan, Nov 16, 2016.

1. I want to grow inside in soil. I know soil it's hard to describe but I can feel the essence of soil. I have been successful with flowers and vegetables in a mixture of dairy cow manure, top soil and peat moss. Will this be successful. As far as growing inside with soil, will I have to give supplements? Any advice is helpful. I have black sugar honey seeds.

• Like Like x 1
  2. don't go mixing a bunch of shit and hoping it works ...Go buy some Organic cannabis friendly soil and mix in 20% Perlite for better drainage and know for sure you are starting with a good solid grow medium

3. If it works for your outdoor containers it will work indoors. No need for extra additions just because it's cannabis. Just make sure the potting mix has set for several weeks before you plant.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm just going to go with peat moss to aerate. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. Thanks so much! I will. Someone suggested perlite but I trust mosses unless specifically unfavorable.

6. Peat moss and aeration provide different benefits. You'll need to use perlite. You are using this for potted plants?

Peat moss retains moisture and aeration makes sure there's not too much moisture. You may find you'll have better results adding perlite or pumice stone. Faster growth for example.

There's a beginning soil thread at the top of the organic forum. It has a good recipe and explains how to make potting soil.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you, that's the kind of specified information I needed. And with a kind tone as well. I will do exactly that. Julie

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easy Organic Soil Mix for Beginners

you're welcome! here's the link just in case. the first page has the basic outline and then it goes into more detail as you read. most of your questions will be answered in the first fifty pages or so and if anything doesn't make sense after that, quote the posts that are confusing and ask some of the guys on there. they're a friendly bunch if you can put forth a little effort into getting an idea of what they're trying to teach. :)

9. Funny, I couldn'tfind it. Thanks for the help!

10. Drainage is the big thing with the soil mix you grow indoor with. I suggest you spend the money and buy some good formulated grow soil. We have been using Roots Organics Original here for many years now. It's expensive, but such a good product that I consider it worth it. You can grow one of these plants from clone to harvest with the soil alone if you understand how and when to repot a plant. It's specifically designed just for growing the MJ plant, so the mix is the right level of light and arid that works best. Growing these plants inside is different than growing veggies in the garden or flowers. You need to really read up on tending the plant with a soil indoor grow. Most mess up in the beginning by giving too much water. So, just make sure you have good solid info to work from in the beginning. TWW

11. Thank you for taking the time to answer that thoughtfully. Mistakes are paramount to my learning style. I have no expectations for the first few attempts. So, my plan is to try and grow as basic as I can and slowly add more modern techniques or ideas and if something goes wrong or right, It'll be easier to pinpoint what factors attributed to it. I don't want to invest a lot of money into something I'mnot passionate about. However, I do want a quality result not so much qauntity. If you have any middle of the road suggestions, that would be great!
    Sorry I had to copy and paste this, I'm really tired. I'd like to try and avoid using a formulated soil. The experience and appreciation I'll have should I succeed It'l be worth the extra attention. I'm looking more for an experience than product. Thanks again

12. if you want to learn about making your own soil take a look at the beginner thread as ML posted above and also the No-till Revisited thread for more up to date info on a simple yet effective soil mix recipe that you can reuse over and over again.

13. That's crazy! The No-till soil is exactly what I want to work with. A lot of his ideas I was trying to convey seemed lost on a couple people who suggested the pre-made stuff. I want to share this with friends and family. I want it to be the best that I am capable of providing. Not about, short cuts, qauntity or harvesting faster. The tortoise won the race after. Thank you so much!

• Like Like x 1
  14. in that case you could also skim the old No-Till thread, lots of good info there as well, some of which is missing from the newer one.
    its a pretty long thread though so you can use my notes compilation as reference for most of the vital information.
    All Organic Recipes and Notes Compilation

• Like Like x 1
  15. Oh yeah, you're good to go. You are way ahead of most new pot growers. Don't be afraid of perlite, I use about 25% perlite in my mix along with about 25% peat. The perlite is good for container growing, it makes the soil a little lighter which makes the plants dry out faster instead of sitting in soggy soil. Yes, If you are not hardcore organic you can add something but you don't need to, but most don't have soil that doesn't need a little something. But you'll find pot less challenging than all vegetables I can think of except maybe zucchini. You know, same deal, some like to grow tomatoes and some like to fertilize right up to the breaking point to get a picture of a really big tomato.

16. I'm also about to venture into organic growing and am going the premixed route. Just curious if this is sufficient or do I need more?
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any info. Peace

Sent from my SM-N900T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

17. #17 Talkative, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    yeah that looks good, I was going to say to add perlite but I see they are using pumice instead. There is some good basic explanations on their web site which will eliminate some of the organic growing confusion, especially the part about growing the soil and the plant will take care of itself, and happy plants create good pot.