Growing in my new house

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by ImRipped, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Hey guys I hope I'm doing this right (first post!) but I was wondering if anyone could ease my mind on my strategy for this coming fall. Im going to be moving into a pretty large house and we have a 2 car garage that is not being used. I want to grow weed in a corner of it that is walled in. I want to grow hydroponically because that seems to be the way that pays off the most but I'm really concerned about the smell. Basically I want to be able to eventually be harvesting 1/2-1lb every 3-4 months which seems doable in a 5'x5'x8' space but I just want to be sure that my neighborhood/house isn't wreaking of weed. I know about carbon filters and ozone generators but are carbon filters dependable and built into a grow tent? Or do I have to spend thousands on those crazy ass grow boxes online to do this? Is the ozone generator going to poison me or my plants? Long story short I want this:
    A) 1/2-1lb harvests
    B) No odor inside my house or anywhere that a living soul will smell it :)
    C) Can I pull this off and use hydroponics? with a grow tent? If so what one would you recommend?
    D) Do I need to know any serious details to set up/operate a grow tent? Will the carbon filter just do its job (assuming they come with one installed hopefully since Im willing to spend up to $1000 on getting my growing set up) and will the ozone generator make my house toxic or make the weed dangerous?

Thanks in advance...sorry again if this is a dumb post :/
    Enlighten me! :D

2. hey bro, going for the gold huh?, get over to my gas chamber for some ideas for sure, i'll give ya a hand..

A....1/2lb? a lb? easy..
    b...this will take some dusscusion and detail's to work out but we can get it done for next to nothin...not thousand's of dollar's..those pre made supercab's are crap anyway..lol

c..yes all day....ebb and flow system and sea of green methos is about perfect..efficient and easier than most system's to use..i have a diy on a
    400$ ebb and flow system for under 200$ (gas chamber) ..thats half the price bro..pot's and all..
    and you will find my pro tent amazingly effective and nice to boot..it's a 6.5' square..very nice, 40 square foot..

D..na, there setup for use and putting them together is pretty easy..they even have double waterproof flooring that you can pull out and wash then toss back in..f'kn sweet, carbon filters are great, ozone generators are good to..but have to be set up slightly different..

3. Thanks for the reply! So a pound is easily discreetly done? Awesome! What can I do about the smell though? I'm kinda trying for the easiest quickest way to have it set up as neatly as possible. Even if its a little more expensive than DIY (I'd rather have something I know works than risk beginners mistakes). Could you maybe give me a shopping suggestion? Something like this if you don't mind helping a newb:
    A) What tent to get (What size do I need to be sure to be able to harvest somewhere between 0.5-1.5 lbs and what specific ones do you recommend? I saw one with viewing windows but it was rated lower than the Secret Jardin ones that lacked a window. Any advice there?)
    B) How do I combine that with hydroponics? Im sorry if that sounds dumb but all this info is kinda overwhelming. Do I just order a specific name of a hydroponics kit and I have all my stuff I need to grow and I just put it in the tent under the light in my garage?
    C) If I were to get the carbon filters would that be a complicated add-on? I feel that it is necessary for discretion and as for the ozone generator, does that also need to be "installed"? I thought it was just like a humidifier you left in the room and it could run in cycles to neutralize the odor.

So basically to summarize without being too repetitive can you tell me what tent, ozone generator, hydroponics kit, strategy for carbon fiber and how I will have to run it all? Im aiming for something as hands free as possible...kinda like set it up get the chemicals I need and bulbs and then just refill chemicals as needed and replace bulbs and make sure no like crazy disasters happen before I harvest.

PS - Any strain suggestions? I was looking at Avalanche before...looked pretty dank...I want to start with something colorful and just badass looking that I dont usually (or ever!) see. Like pinkish/purplish big hairs, mad crystals and orangey hue. Just some exotic alien lookin shit...lol Thanks in advance for suffering my curent incompetence in growing!

4. I just want to jump in here and say while a pound per harvest is certainly possible. You likely wont get that at first and it will take some investment.

I agree that the super cab things suck.

One way to look at it is that if you were a super awesome grower with super excellent strains and plants, you might get 1g per watt.

You can count on something like 1/4g per watt in the beginning.

That will help you "guess your yield"

however, and excellent lesson that applies all throughout life and especially in growing weed is...

"focus on the process, not the result."

5. #5 I have this, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
    A. secret jardin are excellent tents, maybe the best. HTG supply has a good selection, they are all over the net, just shop around. Keeping in mind what I said in my other reply, if you're dead set on focusing on the result, you're gonna need 1000w to get a lb. So I would get at least a 4x4 tent with that size light. I was in an HTG store recently and they were advertising a 6x6 tent for 150 dollars. I dont know if that is availible to order or not. You dont need a viewing window. If the lights are on, oper her up and look and play around, i usually leave mine open while the lights are on to better ventilate, if the lights are off you leave them alone.

B. There are a million different hydroponic setups. One of the simplest would be to go with the waterfarm setup and 5 gallon buckets, I like this setup. Another version of it that works very well and many people use it is rumpleforeskin's bubble buckets. There is a great DIY thread around here that shows you how to do it. In addition, you will find many of rumps threads to be very helpful to you.

C. You have some stuff to learn here, but it's no big deal. Yes you can easily add on a carbon filter later. You are going to need a good fan and ventilation system for the 1000W light, (or any HID for that matter), so it will just be a matter of placing the carbon filter inline with that system. Typically it will go something like this.

Carbon-->>fan-->>air cooled light hood--->>out of tent

6. not really...i just pulled 7oz's out of 13 1 gallon's..i could have put about 50-60 of them in there..growing many more small plant's in a tight space yield's big time..
    a 4 x 2 flood table will hold 18 1.5 gallon's thats over half a pound right there.. thats only one square meter, my tent is 40 sqaure feet..the math say's many oz's:D;)

7. #7 custom280Z, Jun 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010

most tent's are made the same...some with a mylar or reflective inside, some white..
    almost all of them have the double waterproof floor...
    the difference is the nylon material, roof framing and door design, thats it..
    those jardin tent's are great, but wayyy overpriced for what they are...
    i got mine from LED wholesaler's for 202$ shipped! 6.5 x 6.5 x6.5H, 40 square feet..
    thats about what your going to need to pull the kinda yield you want..
    HTG sell's good tent's as well...you never want one with a viewing window...it's just asking for problem's during flowering..
    light can easily get to your plant's during the dark period's with a viewing window in there...

for lighting i would stay away from 1000watt lamp's....a 600 watt is more efficient power wise and lumen output wise..
    i run 3 x 400watter's in mine 1200watt's total..more smaller wattage light's break down the inverse square law rather than 1 big light..
    the further your light is away from your garden the less it's doing..1 1000watter need's to be 2'-28" above your plant's but 2 600's would allow you to not only get your light's closer, it would be a huge jump in lumen's for only 200 extra watt's..
    3 400's are more efficient than 2 600's..i get a full spread of light from 3 light sources rather than one a few feet away..
    i'd go 2 600's man...htg sell's there digi setup's for 199$ bulb and all...2 600's would run you right under 400$ the tent 200$ and still give you 4 bill's to work with for dro, nutes and vent..

i personaly use no carbon filter... i run my exhaust to the above attic/crawlspace were it's really hot and insulated well...by the time that air get's outside, the heat and insulation will filter it all on it's own...no one ever smell's a thing...
    i use a backdraft damper to keep hot air coming down my line when the fan shut's off..really simple design..work's perfect..lot's of folk's do this..
    either way though, carbon filter or inline ozone generator, this is were your exhaust need's to go...it hides the flir sig exhaust gives off if you run it up into that crawlspace..i'd go with the hydrofarm 6" 400cfm blower...i love mine..paid 117$ shipped ..really bad ass blower and quiet compared to some..
    and a small 100$ window a/c unit for a cool intake..

A diy system is super simple..rump's bubble bucket's are ok..it's something that was done on other tread's and forum's years ago already...those things are bottom rate dro and not a true hydro system..
    it's water, in a bucket, with bubbles...wow:p
    constant water changes and you end up using as much nutes for one plant as a small actual hydro system does for multiple plant's...lol
    not to mention how many pump's you would need for all those bubble bucket's..wow at the power cost that would be vs one air pump, one water pump in a system..
    ebb and flow's are proven to be the easiest, most efficient system there is..it is the ideal hydro setup for the sea of green! it was built around the ebb and flow..
    it takes water from your res and flood's a table...then drain's...thats it! how complicated is that? i think i even used same # of elbows and gromet's for an 18 plant system that one bubble bucket does for 1 plant! lol
    i'm sorry but to many new folk's here at GC blow rump's 5 gallon bucket up like it's a hydro miracle..it's old news ...something my folk's showed me how to do 20 years ago..it's called dwc! :rolleyes:

if you want a real strain, get some TGA/Subcool querkle, jillybean or space bomb or next gen's grapegod,grapefruit diesel,purple diesel, or dynamite..all of these flower big, colorfull as all hell, flavor that you can chew on, power like no other..they all finish fast to!

8. I wouldn't mind going ebb and flow for next grow.

I was looking at some of the systems and they are a bit pricey.

Did you make your own?

9. yes sir gas chamber in my sig...theres a diy there i just did..pic's and all..
    easy system to build ..i got like 160$ in a 400-500$ system..
    good vibes on this thread...giving input is key and your doing a fine job bro..:D
    cheer's

10. Not to hijack the thread here, but let me ask you this. I have 4 plants under 400W in waterfarm/bubbly buckets in a 2x3x5 tent. I am ready to add on. I am looking at getting 600w (maybe the dual ballast if I can swing it) for a 6x6 or 4x4 tent. I was thinking 6 plants in there.

Could I have a res outside the tents that floods them both or will I need independent systems?

Also, can I use the ebb and flow for only flower, as I dont have any sort of setup for veg, they just hangout in the closet under 24/0 with the clones until there is a space for them.

TIA.

11. well yes if your growing the same strain say in two tables...put a 55 gallon drum outside that joker and flood them both at the same time...but you would need 2 pump's still..
    one to flood and one to force drain ..
    the system's i make are pretty much the exact same thing they sell just with a $$$ res under it..
    my res sit's under my tray so it takes up no more room then the table it's self..really the ideal way to go is two seperate res underneath two tables..
    you could do two different strain's this way (since some feed different then other's) and it would take only two pump's and gravity drain..either way it's the same # of pump's..two to flood the tables from two different res..or one to fill both and one to drain both..
    plus with two res and two tables..you can alway's experiment with one or the other..and if a pump fail's, timer etc...you still got half a crop going ya? don't want to put all those egg's in one basket with any dual table system..

12. htg's 600 digi will strike both but i recomend something brand new to the market..
    get there 400 watter, regular magnetic ballast hps system...
    google search "ceramic Metal Halide" it's a brand new bulb out now...they have a superior spectrum output, and is beating out 1000watt hps lamp's from only a 400watt..they only run off a 250watt or 400watt hps magnetic system(non digital) but wow! there spectrum is crazy...if your rocking a 400 already just get an htg 400 to match it for 119$
    i pay 145$ shipped!
    then get the ceramic MH bulb's for them..that would give you 800watt's and a better light pen than a 600..it will spread that light out great with two 400's instead for around the same price..
    those new bulbs are start to finish as well, like i said they are the closest thing to sunlight spectrum i've ever seen yet....
    there only 36,000 lumen's but that relly does not matter...lumen's are a measure of light to our human eyes, not how a plant see's light..

13. Whoa! Thanks for the awesome help guys! This is where Im at now:
    Seeds from marijuana-seeds.nl (was liking the White Widow Max and Ice strains)
    Any comments on that site/the strains? Im not sure what sites are reliable...its really confusing!
    As for my tent I like the Secret Jardin Darkroom 120 48x48x79 - Thats should be enough room right?
    Ozone Generator/Carbon Filter - Im guessing that I can just make those up pretty easily once I have all my other shit and then put em to work after I figure out the core stuff. Was thinking like a small one that cycles on/off every 10 min (does this go inside my tent? Do I basically modify the Ozone Gen and install it in my tent or can I just sit it in my garage and it'll do its job?)
    As for lights tytyty custom Im deff down for doing 2-3 600/400W lights - Will these suck serious power/give anything away? Will I need to like change out the lights in my tent daily to give my plants the red/blue light? I kinda am looking to not do so much of a DIY thing but just customize a kit to fit in a walled in corner of my garage stealthily and as automatically as possible (atleast considering what im doing ha).
    I saw the Ebb & Grow Multi Pot system. Is this thing self sufficient? Or a waste of money for a overkill system that would do the same thing as a $200 set up? I'd rather just buy a simple kit like that and just throw it in the tent in the corner, hook up fans, odor neutralization, lights and let her do her thing.
    Am I missing any thing? I spent a good while last night shopping and I think that the above stuff combined with the right seeds would accomplish what I want. In that tent will I be able to fit like 6 good size plants? Or should I be trying for a large number of smaller plants? I just want max yields/quality so whatever I gotta do Im down for. :D
    Thanks again for being so great guys! If this works out youre gonna have to come to the east coast to try my new treats!

PS - I HATE COCKROACHES! They wont be attracted to my weed/infiltrate my tent right? Ewwwwwwwww

14. No you dont need to change bulbs, when you're in veg run blues, when you're in flower run reds. combinations work too, some people say better, remember the veg and flower cycle are dependent on the darkness hours.

You're still missing a lot, lol, but you're getting there. I dont use an ozone generator and I dont know anyone who does, but they are supposed to be awesome. I dont know about that particular system. There are some "turnkey" type systems out there where you just change the water out weekly, but that is as maintenance free as you will get.

That tent should work well for 6 plants. shoot for 100W of light per plant, so a 600w would do fine. Other people measure by square feet and say 50w per square foot I think, so 4x4 is 16x50=800, so by that rule 800W.

You're gonna need a good inline fan to keep that cool.

I dont know about cockroaches, but I doubt it.

15. Ok so I just flip a switch and the bulb emits the different light? Or should I just get the combination? Am I missing big parts of my set up or just all the little details and like $5-$20 random shit I need? Changing water and refilling chemicals is exactly what I want to have to do only! I just wanna go in occasionally and say hey to my babies n see that they arent infested with aphids n make sure their nutes and water is running right! :D As for the ozone gen; that can just chill in the room or do i need to modify it to like morph it with my tent? lol
    For the lights I wanna run 3 400's as custom said or atleast 2 600's. Is this overkill?

16. We are disconnecting somewhere on the lights, I am confused and you probably are too.

When a plant is young, it is in vegetative state. This is 18+ hours of light a day, here you use blue.

WHen you flower it, you go into flowering state, you do this by cutting it to 12 hours of light a day. When you do this, you will want to switch your bulbs unless you have gone with a multisepctrum bulb or some people veg and flower with HPS which is considered "red".

I dont know about ozone generators at all.

seems like over-kill, yes, i think you will have a hard time keeping them cool. But if you can keep them cool I am pretty sure there is no such thing as too much light.

17. Ohhhhhhh so im gonna not have to f with the lights like daily...itll be like weed #___ and i switch to the other color? Thats pretty simple and as for lights any suggestions on what I should buy to put in the Secret Jardin 120? I wanted to do what custom said with the 2 or 3 separate lights. Any suggestions on specific ones to put in? I want them to grow to full potential...or atleast as much as i can reasonably fit.

18. shit i am east coast my man! lol

19. 2 600's would be narley bright in there...i'd go with this...

2 x 400watt hps system's from htg for 119$ each....then google the "ceramic MH bulb's" you get two of those bulb's...
    you put those ceramic MH bulb's in your 400 hps system's and you don't have to ever switch them...ever...just light cycle only when you want to flower..

they are really really close to a full spectrum start to finish light..

as for strain's bro...its all about the company not the name of the herb..
    next generation
    mandala seed's
    dj short
    sensi seed's
    female seed's
    serious seed's
    TGA Subcool
    DNA
    are the best..if you want the best go to attitude and order something from these companies and you cant go wrong....i swear i've done research for years to find the best of the best..

you might get a lb out of 6 big ass plant's, but...a ton of 1.5 gallon's and square pot's will seriously yield a ton and be easier to manage..

20. How do you feel about Greenhouse Seeds?