Growing in garage

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NotoriousCheech, Jan 15, 2010.

1. This will be my first atempt at growing and i have been researching quite a bit. i was planning to grow in a corner of my garage where my mom wont notice it(my dad smokes), was planning to start with 1 maybe 2 plants at first. I have all the seeds i need that i collected from bags way back during the dry times :eek:. Just asking for any advice you guys could give for a first time grower, any recomended setups for 5x5 area hopefully less, if im only growing 2 plants i will only need 200 watts? any help is appreciated :smoke:

2. Don't grow in a house with other people who don't know about it. It's just not right. How would you like to wind up on the hook for something you had zero idea about? She's your mother man, don't put her in that spot.

3. thats not what i was asking help with. anyways i smoke with my dad and he would be down for it because he is always working in the garage.so..back to the original questions

4. I have to agree with sprucegoose - you would not be growing in a home with other people who are unaware.

However - I would encourage you to do your research if you plan on moving forward, as a 5x5 space is extreme for 2 plants, and 200-watt light will certainly not be edequate for 25sq ft, regardless of how many plants you have.

5. #5 Bak Alchisk, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
    First, it is winter. I don't know where you are, STL could stand for a lot of places or ideals.

Did you want to go soil, hydro, or aero? Soil means you have to heat the area more, as they will be sitting on the garage floor. Hydro or aero means bigger electric bills. (The nutrient solution is generally heated up by the pump to a good temperature except in extreme climates.)

Lighting doesn't really depend upon watts...it depends on lumens. Different kinds of bulbs give a different amount of lumens per watt. HSP is the most effecient, generally converting a watt into 110 lumens. The problem with them is that they are mostly in the cool spectrum (around 2500 to 3200K), which makes them ideal for flowering, but can cause stretch in vegetation.

Metal Halids are popular, and almost as effecient as HPS when it comes to watt conversion. The good point is that you can get MH bulbs in nearly every temerature. The bad point is that bulbs are damnably expensive.

Now, both of the light systems above can run you hundreds of dollars. If you have that amount to spend, great! If you don't....

There are the flouros. CFL's are what people use when they need light on the cheap. Although, you can get a high bay, T-8 fixture that holds 8 bulbs for about $150, and that would be plenty of light for your 5x5 area.

For what you are growing them IN....well, first I need to know how you PLAN to grow. Lots of folks on here grow in soil. I grow in hydro and aero. If we know how you WANT to grow, and your climate conditions, we'd be better able to advise you on how to do it.

Peace,
    Bak Alchisk

P.S. For those coming down on the kid, would you be coming down as hard if it were his father posting and saying how he wanted to grow in his garage where his wife wouldn't know? Or would you consider the garage the man cave and he should do what he wants? He has already stated he has permission from his father to use a corner of the garage.

6. I have a garage grow. Believe me, you will never be able to hide it from your mother. You will have fans making noise, you'll need heaters this time of year also making noise (and it will get too hot in there in the summer to grow, I have to take a hiatus those months), you'll have extension cords running across the floor, and you will stink up the entire garage quite easily. Even with heaters running I find it very tricky to maintain temps, I have to check on the temps and the heater placement/settings at least once a day, usually more than that.

And besides, the others are right, do not grow in a house without the explicit knowledge and consent of everyone living there.

7. #7 NotoriousCheech, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
    i stay in Missouri.i was planning on going soil because that would be the most reasonable depending on my budget, probly around 100 or more if i get serious with this. My dad might have lights that i could use for growing i just need to look around a little.right now it is pretty cold but in the garage my dad constantly has heaters going so it isnt to bad, i could probly move the 2-3 heaters closer to where im growing to help temperature conditions?
    thanks for the help so far alchisk :D

-If you think it would be that noticeable in the garage i really dont want to grow inside my house so the only other option would be growing outdoors once the temp cools. The only time my mom is ever in the garage is when she is getting in her car or parking it and she has never said anything about smelling it because i cherb in there.

8. Yes, actually.

9. you realize there is no point in going to a thread and saying "dont do this" will make any difference on what i do or not.foreal stop wasteing your time im asking for help not if i should do it or not

10. The advice not to do it is the best help you can get in your situation. It may not be what you want to hear, but it is the best help. It would be a bigger waste of our time to tell you how to do it, and then you get caught, you go to jail, and your parents' house gets sold at sheriff's auction...

11. lol? i feel you on what you trying to say, if i have to i may just wait until times are right to grow outside

12. It's no joke. In some jurisdictions they have the authority to seize any and all property associated with the illegal activity and sell it in order to pay for your prosecution.

LOL all you want, but don't forget that growing MJ is a very serious undertaking. In many places it's a felony, so right up there with bank robbery, embezzlement, big-time stuff. Including in Missouri, check this: Missouri - NORML.

I think waiting is a smart idea.

13. i have been researching quite a bit

if im only growing 2 plants i will only need 200 watts?

probly around 100 or more if i get serious with this

might have lights that i could use for growing i just need to look around a little

Ok, I hate to be "this guy" but I Must. To the original poster : Most likely the reason people are concerned about your proposed grow and "hiding" it from your mom , is your obvious lack of even the basic knowledge of growing MJ.
    It scares some people when you ask a question like "if im only growing 2 plants i will only need 200 watts?" after you state that you have been doing alot of research.
    And sorry, but 100$ if you get serious? thats not even a realistic amount of money to start even the most rudimentary grow with.

And , of course, your mind is made up and your going to grow regardless, but what people are saying is true. Maybe you get away with it, and your mom never knows , great. But maybe your neighbor sees or smells something as your garage gets opened one day, and the cops get called, oops, mom and dad go to jail, how do you feel now.

Just go spend some money on a grow book, and do WAY MORE research before you do anything.

And after you understand some of the basics , then get started , but be careful and good luck !

14. Dont grow until you own a home. This way no un wanted guest comes in. You can not hide a grow from someone you live with. Also I doubt that you will be able to keep your mouth shut about your grow. Lose lips sink ships and its hard not to tell your best friend or show them your grow. Then your buddy tells someone and rumors start floating around about your grow then somebody gets picked up and drops a dime on you to save there ass. Then you get the knock on the door and thats all she wrote bud. I think you should grow up and do a lot of research on growing before you attempt to start.