Growing In Closet

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by Pentar343, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Hey I'm new here and also new to growing. I'm planning on doing my first grow soon and I'm pretty sure I know all the steps for the grow process itself but I'm having some trouble figuring out what the best setup would be for the space I have. The floor's measurements are 3'5"x1'11" and it's 4'5" tall. What should I be looking for for lighting and how should I regulate the temperature in there, my fear is it might get too cold. I'm just looking for some help, I know I could have looked at videos or looked at other set ups so sorry for making a random thread on this site but I figured asking for direct advice for my first time would be the best. Thanks ahead of time :). I'm thinking 2-4 plants (I know 1 sq ft per plant but I feel like I have the space available for the 4th)
    If pics would help I can add those

2. 1 sq foot per plant for a SOG grow is the absolute minimum amount of space. You will not have room for 4 plants, even if you would flower them as soon as possible. Even 3 is really pushing it.

3. And that's why I'm happy I came here, already getting advice, thanks. I'm probably going to go for two now. Any ideas about what I should be using for my setup itself? Like what lighting and that stuff

4. What's your budget?

5. I'm trying to get a build that's going to be able to last for a while, I don't really have a budget but I'd prefer on the cheap end. I'm a COMPLETE noob to this so I'm not even sure what I should be looking at for a price range

6. Gotta give me a number to work with lol. $75-100? 250-500?

7. Okay let's say 300s? Somewhere around there? I know it's hard to give advice when you don't know much about the situation so I'll try to give as much as I can

8. Besides lighting, you need a fan for exhaust, a fan for air circulation, hygrometer, thermometer, pH/TDS meters, nutrients and a couple other things.

Is 300 or so for everything or only lights?

Is smell a concern or no? (You'll need an inline fan+carbon filter unless you don't mind the smell)

9. Mars Hydro 300 x2 130$
    4" inline fan 40$
    4" carbon filter 40$
    3 gallon fabric pot x2 4-5$
    Soil (fox farms is good) 20$
    4 quarts Perlite 5$
    Nutes (I use dyna gro) 30$
    Seeds 25-40$
    Oscillating fan 15$
    4" ducting 10$
    Ph solution kit 12$

That all would be well under 300... the lights would be 130$ for both the 4" inline can be had for 30-40 bucks on eBay... the carbon filter too.. I personally use an ipower carbon filter it works well and costs 40$. Fabric pots are chump change.. the soil can cost around 20 bucks and nutes can cost 20-75+ I use dyna gro they offer samples for decent prices... I got more than enough nutes for plenty of grows for 29$ by emailing and asking. The ph solution kits can be purchased at pet stores and comes with ph up and ph down as well as the solution and vial to test the water.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 300 for everything, thanks for the help. Now to get the cash, you've been a lot of help guys. Is the mars hydro for hydroponics or is it just the name?

11. It's just the name. Tho I personally do not recommend them.

12. If you do decide to purchase from Mars, @smokesara would likely be able to give you a discount code. (I don't remember them off hand, "Marshydro" maybe?)

13. Is there anything else about generic's post that you'd change aside from that? And what would you use.

14. The mars hydro 300 and 600 are the older more reliable models that are only sold on eBay and amazon there are no discount codes for them as they aren't listed on the site.

• Like Like x 2
  15. No, he's correct on all of it. (Tho I'd also include a speed controller for the fan if it doesn't come with one)

The only difference is brand. I'd recommend Meizhi (for a low budget led). They're the same lights. Same wattage, same price, same warranty, etc.

I personally use fox farm trio nutes (same price as he listed)

Neither works better than the other, it's just personal preference.

• Like Like x 1
  16. My brain stopped working for a second. :) Yeah they're about $65/ea on Amazon i think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well thanks a lot guys, I think I've got what I need to know. Any last word of wisdom or just general tips for when I start the grow?

• Like Like x 1
  18. #18 generic98547, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    I've heard good things about meizhi too though like you said it doesn't really matter all these older blurple budget lights are about the same. Hell OP could get one of each and decide which he prefers first hand haha

Just make sure you use well known genetics OP... don't try to use bagseeds from weed you bought because you really want to grow Feminized cannabis seeds preferably photos your first grow. that away there is no guessing and hoping it's female after 2 months of caring for it. Also www.growweedeasy.com is a good place to read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. I don't mind helping people through their first grow, so feel free to send me a message if you want help.

20. I'll make sure to keep you updated, I'm probably not going to be able to get started for a little bit because I need to get the cash rounded up. I'm planning on finding something known for being a little more "resistant", my buddy knows of a pretty good site for finding just the right seed. Again, I know I've said it a lot, but you guys have been a HUGE help, thank you.

• Like Like x 1