Growing in clay

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Brizzl, Apr 4, 2013.

1. So there are a couple of areas that I have decided have good possibilities of being plots. The one closest to my house and closest to a source of water is basically a red sand and clay only soil. Is there anything I need to do specially to the soil while planting? Will I have to bring my own soil in?

Thanks everyone

2. Yup get smart pots and soil.

Or be prepared to add lots of organic materiel, like peat moss or coco coir. Then also add the nutrients. Clay sucks and is the reason I switched to pots.....maybe in a decade, I will of worked the soil enough to back in ground..but till then, the density combined with the high iron & ph just create lock outs no matter how much lime is added.

3. So instead of planting directly in the soil grow in pots in my plot or grow in pots planted in the ground? Also how many gallons do the pots need to be for a mature plant?

4. Get pots, beds, bags etc. You need something. Oh, and bring your own high quality dirt clay is no good.

5. I got a different spot chosen, thanks for the help guys.

6. I grow in clay condition, i dig a 2x2x2 hole and fill it with my own organic soil, no bags or pots

7. Well that is always an option.

8. Depends what kind of clay. My clay is acidic. at about 6.3 . But yeah... Microbal life lives better in the ground so they say. And i dont water very often

9. You grow directly in clay? What supplements do you use?

10. Oh not directly no way haha. I just add some soil to it.
    If there are alot of dead plants you could rake up top soil and simply bury it. just dont make obvious plots

11. Okay thanks bro.

12. dig 2x2x2 hole atleast and fill with quality soil. dont mix the clay in with your soil... clay is marys worst enemy

13. Alright. Where do I put the excess dirt? Just spread it around?

14. yup, and then kick some extra leaves and debris over it to hide it better:smoking:

15. Can I fit more than one plant in the 2x2x2?

16. Check out my old thread I started in a 5 gallon bucket and look what happened to my plant when I transferred it to a nice big hole. Its under 5 gallon kush grow

17. Last year I did not dig a hole. Just put down tons of soil and planted on top. It worked really well as the plants never became over saturated.

18. You mean just putting a layer of soil down and planting?

19. Yes, I just put down like 6 bags of soil and my grow was amazing last year.

20. I don't think I have enough soil for that. I have 6 plants I plan on getting, I'm pretty sure I have just enough to dig a couple of 2x2s