Growing in a fridge??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ArianaTowell, May 16, 2009.

1. I am currently researching the best way to set up my first grow and i came across this site amsterdammarijuanaseedbank.com and it shows a way to grow in a fridge.I was wondering if anyone had ever heard of/done this and if it is possible how efficient this is as far as smelll.That's my biggest concern second to that is getting my seeds.
    i have my own house , the problem is my neighbor 2houses down is a cop.and i have a 2yr old so i am trying to do it the most low key way i can come up with.i am only trying to grow 1-2plants so its not like hes going to smell it 2 houses down??and specially if it's in a fridge??

2. He will smell you burning way before a couple blooming plants. :smoking:

Although its good to be safe i wouldn't be over paranoid if you plan on a couple small plants (unless your planning 20 gal pots and 1 lbs per plant)

When it comes to a couple small plants in a box/closet home made carbon scrubber easily solves your problem for cheap.

Avoid the fridge and set up an economical closet space or stealth cab like a dresser. :D

Seeds are generally extremely reliable and safe to order if done properly. ;)

3. Yeah he would never notice it unless you were selling or have people coming over often and it looked like you were selling.

4. hey ArianaTowell, I am in the same situation as yourself. I have two cops across the road and a 3 yr old son! So looking to keep smell to a minimum.

I have an old fridge I was going to use but perhaps FaderVader or anyone else could elaborate on why not to use a fridge? So far I have been advised that this would be the best way to go as I can't start cutting holes into any closets etc. How else do you get your intake out-take of air? In my case the closet is much larger than the fridge, so wouls I not need more lights also?

puff also gave me a great link for Mr bubbles carbon filter, and I am thinking if I forget the fridge and just put the plants in a cupboard how do I control the likes of the above? i.e. lights, air, smell etc?

Anyone any thoughts on the fridge as a grow room?

5. #5 FaderVader, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
    The fridge has pros and cons according to your situation. but...

Cons:
    Its large and looks weird sitting in your living room with a pad lock on it, you may have space in a basement or garage. Its a project to gut a fridge and cut wholes through the siding. Also many older fridges have costic insulation designed to be sealed in the layering of the fridge, not designed like house insulation to be handled so make sure to wear a mask and keep the kids away. There heavy to move and more trouble then there worth IMO. :eek:

Its just ten times easier to gut and build a stealth dresser with the same results.

Pros:
    They can be stealthy siting in a garage or basement, it is supposed to make noise. Great for a CGE (closed growing enviorment) with the proper climate.

As far as benifit over a closet when it comes to running venting and climate control i see the same exact issues. Is the fridge in a hot garge pulling in hot moldy air? or a cool clean basment? Were do you plan to put ballasts and vent fans...in the small cramped fridge, in the freezer area? you would have more space to work in a larger area if a closet would provide that.

A fridge is a project for an experienced grower is all im saying, or at least a serious hobbiest ready for challenges :D

6. Isn´t MJ supposed to be kept warmer that that??

7. People convert them to grow in; they don't keep them running cold.

Personally I'd be more worried about lack of ventillation. If you're venting you're going to have smell.

Just get a good carbon filter.

8. i think they mean the shell of it and the door...... if u cut a hole to open up the bottom of the freezer... u could cut 2 hole in the side for enter/exit air flow... but i think it might get a little hot in there.... those thing are insulated i think....but it can be done ANYTHING can be done. i would only be able to fit like 1 plant in my fridge i think lol.. and u would have to use cfl or led im sure. iff u do use it i wanna see it done.. G.L.

check out my grow

http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute...indoor-grow-need-some-advice-my-plants-5.html

9. yeah for my fridge I am gutting the inside. 200w cfl attached to top of inside that can be moved up/down. One extraction fan and two holes with ubend pipes for intake.

My problem (i think) is my fan. I calculated I need a measly 6cfm. But my fan is 133 cfm. I have been advised this will cause negative pressure which is good? Is this right? Or is this fan overkill? Should I get a les powerful fan?

As far as heat, I am in Scotland which feels like the coldest country in the world sometimes. and using cfl hope I dont have an issue with heat. Am I wrong?

I am only growing for personal so for my first grow I am trying 2 lowryders (lst). Any of you experienced growers suggest improvements?

10. Really ???:D

11. Yeah yeah yeah, I had just rolled out of bed so my humor detector was still sleeping :laughing:

12. I lived there for 8 god-awful years.

13. LOL cantharis:wave:

14. Can the dwarf strains be LST? I just think since they're so small in the first place and only really veg for like 3 weeks, I don't think LST is a real option. If anyone can say to the contrary, please do. I am interested in trying it as well.

On another note, if you're planning on LST, you should really try an indica, since you're keeping it small anyway. Your yield will be more as well.

15. Any strain can be LST'd regardless of size or whether or not they are autoflowering.

16. Im surprised to hear that my neighbor'd able to smell me smoking before he smelled a couple of flowering plants(best thing i heard all day so far) and i see what vader said as far as the fridge being a project for a more experienced grower,seems like there'd be alot of work involved just to set it up to grow.Thats why i decided 2 have my father in law come in and set up my closet in the guest bedroom:Di think that's going to be the best way for me to go.And i am goin to look into a carbon filter when i am done posting this.I dont even know where to start lookin so im just going to google it and take it from there.
    Now that i have my set up pretty much taken care of my next step is picking my strain then getting my seeds(im a lil worried bout this part:rolleyes:)
    This is so ecxiting for me,I feel like me and MJ are definetly ready for a way more serious relationship.lol. i hope it all goes well!!

17. It depends on the strain too. Some stink to high heaven before they even flower. Some, like NL#5, barely smell at all even at full bloom.

18. All the good folks here at GC are at your service! Just ask, and we will be readily available for help - just check out the links Vader provided below...

Also, you will find that just about EVERYTHING you need to know can be found right here on GC! Check out the General Indoor Growing and especially check out Grow Room Design/Setup. If your f-in-law is really handy, you might want to do something like in my sig titled "DOCMOJO'S NGB-STYLE BOX | PROJECT #2: Code Name Mother Earth"

And above all, keep us updated on your progress!

19. Thankxx OSG and everybody for the help.I am def going to keep u guyz updated
    Right now i am looking for my seeds though.I am thinking i'm going to go with the NL#5.never smoked this particular strain i am just going by what you said im sure you've grown that before to know about it. i just hope it's not anything extremly hard to grow
    I am going to continue my search online for the best place for me to order from.
    Thankxx for all the help GC<3
    Stoners helping Stoners.:hello::smoking: