Growing in a computer case

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by DrkSn, Dec 18, 2006.

1. I'm seriously thinking about growing in a computer case. Here is my plan, buy a computer case about 20 inches high, put a light or two in it, it should grow about 2 plants with out problems using the scrog method, or so I've been told. There will be at least one 120mm fan in the front, and one in the back at full speed powered by a computer PSU. All other parts of the computer will be cut out (hard drive storage, motherboard mountings, anything that isn't essential to growing)

Now for my questions:
    1) is that airflow enough for an enclosed case like this? I have 3 120MM fans running at half speed in my computer case and I can feel the suction from ~3-4 inches away. The fans I want to use are rated at 79 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) each.

2) The smell. I'm a college student but live at home with parents, I've never grown but I imagine the smell would be fairly noticeable having 2 plants full of bud like that. Is there anything I can do to limit smell?

3) I live in Canada, would it be better to buy an ounce and go see seed searching, or would I be safe renting a temporary mail box from like Mail Boxes etc and having a seed bank ship to it? I've never used one of these services before but my friend says the ask for ID to verify you didn't lie.

2. im doing the same thing, its my first grow and ive found it pretty neat. for the grow box its fun to build, i took an old PC gutted it, and i took two cpu fans and hooked up a 9v adapter to both so i plug those in individually. for the smell most people say use a carbon filter. you could insulate it with something to help dull the smell too

3. Nice idea dude, I'm gonna give that a shot I've just cracked a few seeds and they've just sprouted :)

I have two of these full tower cases that a mate had given me

I will post pics of the cases once Its all operational :smoking:

Attached Files:

4. How are you planning on mounting the light... I am looking to upgrade from my goofy rubbermaid box and have an extra supertower laying around with the fans and everything.

5. they had some ridiculous micro grows on OG before it got shutdown.

This one dude had a computer case, i think it was 2 or 3 CFL's...he did one feminized seed (can't remember strain, I'm pretty sure it was WW). He scrogged it up and yielded about 2 oz as i recall.

As i recall he had the CFLs mounted where the drive bays usually go at the top, but he had it on a system where he could raise and lower the bulbs.