Growing in a closet.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jmizzle, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Ive read a bunch of grow guides now, and ive still got a bunch of questions.

My closet doesnt shut all the way, there is a little crack on each side, and the power cords have to get into the closet... so there is about a 1/8th inch gap between the closet door and the wall. I read that during dark hours there should be NO light at all, so would i be better off making a grow box?

if i did make a grow box, it would be a rubbermaid tub, a big one. would that work? If so would it be a good idea to coat the inside walls with aluminum foil for extra light. Im using 2 floros (not sure on the wattage, about 2.5 feet long each) and only growing 4 plants.

My closet is a short closet, only about 3 feet from the ground to the shelf. would it be smarter to grow 4 plants? or a sea of green? since my plants wouldnt be able to get very tall?

The stems of my plants are very week, would it be better to use a splint like a twig and some string to hold the stems up, or keep a small fan on them to make them stronger?

When should i fertilize my plants, and what is the best fertilizer to use at whatever stages?

Ive read a bunch of grow guides but i guess ive just missed out on some of these answers.

2. It is true that during flowering the plant should get no light at all during darkness because it could turn out to be a hermie so you would be better off making a grow box.

The rubbermaid tub would work for a grow box just as long as its big enough.

Since you only got 2 flouros i would stick with the 4 plants.

It is better to use a small fan to keep the stem thick and strong rather then something holding it up.

It is up to you when and if you want to use fertilizer. I fertilize my plants once every 3 weeks.

3. would lining the inside of the rubbermaid box with aluminum foil help the lighting?

4. Okay here are my pointers.....being a closet grower.
    1) 4 plants need plenty of room if you expect any kind of yield. With only a few little floro tubes I would suggest you grow only one or two plants at most
    2) Use the closet, it will work better being it should be bigger. To keep it dark inside just hang a dark sheet or blanket or trash bag on the inside of the door as to drape and keep out the light. If only a light glow, no direct light get in ....like a full moon or less you will be okay. Ive had a dark blanket hanging inside my closet door for two winters now and it works fine.
    3) If you don't use a fan, just twist and bend you stems all around every few days and they will get thick and strong.......works great.
    4) lightly fert every two weeks at most.
    good luck

5. is about 3 feet of growing room enough? height wise i mean?

and where can i get an HPS light if that would be better?

What would be a good fan to get? i have one of the smallest fans ive seen in my room, but id think it would blow my plants over... even on low setting

6. You can buy a HPS online just do a search or go to home depot or lowes in the outdoor lighting section. Go look at the outdoor security lights, read the boxes and look for HPS. A 75w or so should do you fine to get started. As for a fan go to a office section of a store and get a small desk top fan, shouldn't be more than 10 bucks.
    HPS lights are not the cheapest things. Plan to spend between 30 and 50 bucks for a starter. But it will work a LOT better.
    3 foot height is fine just make sure you start to flower at 12-15 inches, being your plants will double in height and you need room for the light above them.

7. Hi sometines i do it in my closet and all I ues is a little 3in fan.
    All I use is led lights. Lot less watering as well. Try it youll like it
    They are the best for really small spaces and you get nice product

Attached Files: