Growing Horizontally?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by amoebassassin, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Hi all. I've started my first grow ever and had a few questions out of the gate about lighting. My setup is two Aerogarden Pro 100's which I bought from a local auction and a Sun Systems 250W ballast. I believe that the bulb in the Sun System right now is a metal halide but how can I tell? I plugged it in for 3 minutes and it looked blue.

I also am curious as to how plants grow in general and if I can place the grow light horizontally? I tried to put my stealth setup upright but I ran out of room. Plants reach towards the light right? So if the light is on it's side the plants will pull that way instead of vertically?

Regards

2. Blue = Metal halide.

You'll need the light directly over the plant. Use the MH bulb for vegging the plant and switch to HPS to flower it.

3. #3 HipHopFiend, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
    Your still going to get vertical growth. Training and light placement and you can totally do it.

Do some LST to em and you'll be alright.

How bad is your height restriction that you chose this method?

4. Thanks for your reply. I have seen a few grows on here with CFL's pointing diagonally towards the growing medium so I thought that it would be OK to grow horizontal.

Because the light dome on the Aerogrows are so bulky I can only fit the 250W right up above them. I think that there is about 28" of grow space inside of the cabinet (it is a carpeted audio cabinet) I can remove the tops of the Aerogrows later once the sprout takes off a bit and then grow from the straight from the 250W but I am concerned that they will get burnt eventually. I'm growing the Auto AK and Bubblelicious and looks like both will grow to be 2'...