Growing horizontal? LST?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ROCgrass, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Is it possible to lst a plant to grow horizontally, like what you would want to do to grow under a bed or something? I'm looking to grow as large a plant as possible and if I could have a 3 or 4 foot plant growing sideways it would save space and produce lots of bud.

2. why not....the plant will grow in the direction of the light , so YES it is possible..

3. Sweet deal. Another question... How tall should a box be if I plan to lst the lady as low as possible? I know there's a ton of factors and its almost impossible to predict but I'm just looking for a rough estimate. Like if I keep the main stem (stalk? Whatever.) a few inches up how tall can the buds grow?

4. It'd be a real challenge to get a plant to grow horizontally, you'd have to train every day, especially during flowering. And the branches eventually get thick enough that you won't be able to bend them easily. Plus, plants are meant to grow upwards, there are all kinds of physiological effects that come from relative heights of budsites and stems and preventing this might not be ideal. Go ahead and keep the plants as short as you can, but I think that the idea of a perfectly horizontal plant is a bit of a fantasy.

The buds (or rather, the branches on which the buds will grow) can grow over a foot tall easily, and you have to remember that your LST isn't going to be viable forever, eventually the branches won't be supple enough. Have you looked into ScROG? This would let you control the canopy height pretty well, even at a low height. It'll increase your yield too.

The worst thing you can do is underestimate the vertical space you'll need to grow, so don't count on being able to grow under your bed forever (unless it's a bunk bed :smoke:)

5. #5 cantharis, Nov 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
    [​IMG]

I bend my ladies over, tie them down. All the branches try to make like the main cola. Got just over a pound off that lady above.

Apologies to those who have seen this pic before. I will get some fresh next year.

6. IMO 36-48 inches is a minimum headspace to grow decent sized plants. the plant on the left is a pretty aggressive LST project
    [​IMG]

7. [​IMG]You can grow it horizontal!!!

8. I wish I could grow big.

9. Being in Florida, I would have thought you have the climate.

10. Look at growing Scrog style, it has worked out great for me, but I have a bit more height than what your talking. I imagine if you can give it a good 2-3 feet of height you'd be golden.

11. not the political climate...I meant I wish I could LET my plants grow big.

12. i think i could do that, mybe a cabinet in the attic or something like this:
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1FEN8
    and i think the SOG will work best for the small amount of space i will have to work with. for some reason ScrOG just doesnt seem like my cup of tea because it requires a little more space per plant.

i feel you on that one, im reading the cannabis grow bible right now and i dream of having a grow room like in the pictures lol

13. Of course, I see.

14. I asked about this a while back. I finished the thread up with a question that never did get answered I don't think. What if you grew the plant inside of a glass tube laying horizontally? The tube would be open on both ends and the light up above and maybe one under neath to ensure good lighting. What about that?

15. Thats some seriously tight LST. Rep up for this one..