Growing conditions??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by 5446was my#, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Okay, so I've found this spot to grow. It's an island. I can get there in about a 20-30 minute paddle. The paddle isn't that big of a deal. I enjoy it.

However, I do need some opinions for this next part. The island is on a body of salt water. It is not a large island at all. It's not very high above sea level, so I am concerned about the salinity in the soil.

If I dug a hole and planted my own soil, would the salinity in the surrounding siol infiltrate mine? Am I better off just leaving it in a pot? What about planting it in a 5gal bucket, and burying the bucket?

Any help is appreciated!

2. yeah im pretty sure leaving em in pots above the surface is the way to go. thats sick though

3. Leave them in pots. if it's on a small island, it sounds like the soil is probably going to be too wet anyway, right? either way i think that yes the salt would get in your clean soil

4. What kind of plants are growing wild on the island?

5. Mainly mangroves, but there are also sea grapes, and a small array of bushes and some pine tree's on the southern end.

Edit: I kind of want to bury the pot, though. I want the plant to look as if it belongs there. Is this not a good idea?

6. well, what i did was:

buy a can of brown spray paint

buy a can of green spray paint

CAMOFLAUGE THEM POTS!!!!

no worries jack

7. All of those plants are salt tolerant. I don't think you will be able to grow pot there, but don't let me talk you out of doing anythng. If you do grow there, I hope you prove me wrong.

It is a lot more than the salty soil, the air is probably full of salt too.

8. How positive are you on this? If this is so, this spot probably isn't worth it. :(

9. you can always make a flower bed with potting soil and camo it with bushes and lil pine twigs....

10. You could always buy a large pot, fill it with soil, and half bury it into the island's ground so it looks almost like it belongs there.

11. I'm not positive of the effect of airborne salt on MJ, but I do know it isn't used to it.

If you do grow, and bury buckets, I recommend a double-bucket design. The outer bucket wouldn't have but one or two drainage holes and the inner bucket with ample drainage would sit inside. That should prevent any salt encroachment through the water table on the island.

Folks around here have to choose carefully when they landscape east of the intracoastal waterway.

If there's any litter on the island (figure the odds) check its surface for salty crust. if you find salt encrustation on surfaces I would not grow there.

12. If anyone knows how much this will affect the plant or not, please let me know. I think I may just have to plant somewhere else, and put another one on the island just to see how it works out.

13. Hm.. thanks for the link.

That's all that I needed to hear. Thanks bigtime, OldSkool. You saved me alot of time and dedication. Guess I better find another spot. No biggie.

14. It would have been ideal. I love those mangrove hummocks all up and down the keys and backwaters on both coasts. I just know that even on a normal weekend out camping, everything needs a good rinsing to get the salt off. I didn't think it would be good for non-tolerant plants.

15. BUMP..

did you try this spot on the island? Im thinking of getting something going on an island in the mangroves. its in a channel of brackish water and im also worried about the salt in the air/surrounding water. anyone had experience in floridas swamps and/or mangroves?

16. thanks for the info. i typed in mangroves into the search tool and this was of most relevance. I think this spot might be alright though, its far enough away from the ocean to be more fresh than salt. The only thing im really worried about is if florida has a frost this winter