Growing by the Sea?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by sidious, Jan 6, 2004.

1. well my little brain has been working overtime and i'm going to do an outdoor grow, and i have found a few good locations........but when i plant i need to make sure that first frost is over........but what i want to know is, does the frost on the leaves, kill the plant, or the freezing of the roots? or both?.......

the reason i ask, is that where i live......you could think that last frost is gone, wait 2 weeks and get another frost.

but the location i have by the Sea, may be best, as there is never any frost near the Sea due to the salt content of the water.......so what if i planted there, would the sea water protect the soil also from a hard frost?

or would the soil ph be way too far off due to salts......remember the sea never covers this soil, just the vapor

this site would be great as it gets the sun from sunrise to sunset, no interuptions.

Peace out..........Sid

2. well... the sea probely did use to cover that soil, and over the years the sea had back out... u can check the ph of the soil.... it depend how hard the frost hits your plant... dont know how cold it gets up there, but u sure will get frost burn in the leaves, and buds.... aswell, can start mold problem on your buds....

3. what frost does is freezes the water inside the plant cells. frozen water expands and u break the rigid cell wall of the plant. kinda like frozen pipes. freeze hardy plants have either more salt or stronger cell walls (or lose the leaves before it freezes) to be able to handle the freezing. this is why a plant gets all brown and mushy after a freeze.
    the soil and roots dont freeze fast either...but slowly over time.

as to the salt water, im an inland frog so i know not of such.

4. im no expert or anything but i dont think planting in the soil where a high amount of salt water used to be but maybe its worth a shot .. maybe use sum bagseed b4 usen ur good stuff

5. sid... im sure the soil ph would be off a tad bit... nothing that you couldn't really fix buy digging a hole and filling it with your own potting soil and nutrients....

actually, my main concern would be the growth of the plant, it might be somewhat stunted due to the high levels of salt in the air its self...

cause if you ever check out the foliage by a beach....all the plants are typically short, due to the adaptation to the salty air.... or at least i've noticed around here...

ya gotta take into consideration... i have no idea what your native beach plants are like... mostly shrubs and grasses like here i'd presume??

although i could be completly wrong....:D

6. funnily enough, a lot of the coastline here is trees, not right next to the sea, but maybe back 6-10metres.........i'll give it a go anyway, just out of curiosity, and i'll make it my 4th location........i know what you mean though, all the shrubs and other plants, all seem to more brown in colour, and very brittle............Peace out..........Sid

7. i wuz thinking about seaside plants.

seems to me they have 2 problems, wind and salt.

that is prob why they are short...cuz of the wind and the hardness of drawing H2O up. wind takes alot of moisture out of leaves. and the salty soil doesnt let a plant easily take up that water to begin with, osmosis and all.

but i think most of that could be changed if new soil in a smaller area was planted in. if there enough rain, sun and temp range, new soil should do it.

8. I know the sea breeze really fucks up peaches they get some problem from the salt and it eats the peach from inside out no shit my mate was fruit picking for a peach farm and all the trees by the sea were fucked all those peaches were lost.

i dont know if it would have the same effect on other plants but i just thought id let you know.

9. well i'm gonna try anyway........as i have a lot of seeds.......but 'll keep an eye on them, as i'll have another 2 locations anyway.........Peace out.......Sid

10. sid i thought about this myslef but i think the humidity will be too high for flower and you'll get lots of mold. Thres a nice sized island near me and it would be great, but its way to humid out there. Give it a try if you want, theres not much to loose even if it does go bad.. i mean its just some seeds :)

11. from the film on the tv shot from a hellicopter the grow looked lush.
    made me sad.
    dig or bore a hole and make sure your plants roots wont be hitting the water table.
    if the trees are broad leaf then the ground there will probably be ok.

12. Yeah during the summer all the shrubs etc are fine, and have lots of big broad leaves, tnx Thug, i also forgot to mention that the spot is something like 5-6 metres above the beach, and the water never comes in that far in, as for humidity, not too sure, but all i hear from visitors to the states is that the humidity is really high, in Scotland i fear my biggest threat is the wind/rain..........anyone have good ideas as to protect them from too much water.....lol......it rains here a LOT...........Peace out........Sid

13. will limit standing water.
    the best thing u can do about the wind is either plant a "bush" type plant (beter for stelth aswell) top it a few times and hope the low/stocky plant will last.
    and/or spend some time at the grow site. find a nice place to sit and get stoned.
    plants will like the same things as you, sun and shelter.
    and no puddles.

14. Smaller 2-4 feet tall plants spread out will reduce chances of mold. Having one big bush plant will be a sure way to get mold because they make there own canopy that holds moisture inside.

Justa note, having big plants is NOT more secure. With smaller plants you go out once to plant in july then mabey one visit durring veg then another 4 for flower to feed, Pull the males and finaly harvest. All together your cutting your visits in half making your security much better for many reasons mainly including trail making. And having big plants it sucks if you have a male.

15. good point i hadnt thought of.