(Growing All Year Round) A Step By Step Guide To Making A Geodesic Dome.

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself' started by Skunky Monkey, Aug 25, 2011.

1. I'm wondering how you could grow all year, like through the winter. They wouldn't flower until the appropriate time.. correct? Because of the light schedule that they operate on naturally. Any hints as to go year round?

2. Just get 12 auto flowering plant's, also you can grow any other plant as well, look into auto's some can still yield allot even through the winter.

3. Going to do this and make a garden :D
    Will grow fruits and veggies.
    Maybe sneak in a tobacco plant.
    100% natural tobacco, nothing but the nicotine. Healthiest damn smoke you can get!
    Basically what the native Indians smoked all those years ago. So no chemicals, no formaldehyde, none of that shit. 0% chemicals 100% natural

4. Sound's great i don't smoke tobacco but if your going to smoke smoke your own shit man, fuck all the other chemicle's they add and fuck giving your money to the tobacco corporations the main investor's into anti pot propaganda.

5. Exactly man, and I mean it still won't be as healthy as not smoking, but atleast I'm putting 4000 carcinogens into my own body. True that, and the tobacco corporations are greedy scums. I read an article about them saying, "We shouldn't put warning labels on our packs!" That's just retarded.

Great guide man, really informative (probably said this already.)
    I'm wondering if I could just cut everything by half so instead of the size required for a beam, cut it in half. Maybe that would work? If you size everything down evenly I don't think there would be a problem.

6. As long as it's stil even ect... then yes that's fine all your doing is making a smaller 1 :D

Also dude you can live in these things man.

7. Got any pics of your camo'd geodesic dome?

8. Not at the moment but i'm going to do a green house journal next year though with it, well.....if i complete it by then :eek:

9. I LOVE this guide. If I had the room to do it I would. Great idea to dawnofwar with putting it on a balcony, just make sure it gets enough light.

10. Thanks i'm glad, Geodesic dome gardening is the future man, you better learn when you can soon we will all be growing our veg in geodesic dome's. :D

11. Do you think that enough energy is generated from the sun and trapped in the dome during the winter? I'm just curious if it can hold a warm enough temperature inside with temperatures dipping below freezing outside. I've seen pictures of them in the snow but they have a different type of plastic/material over them that appears to be a better thermal conductor.

Funny side note, I had a few friends who lived in an old geodesic dome home back in college. It was just a big dome on the top floor with one room containing the kitchen and family room and downstairs were 3 bedrooms. When they would have parties you could have conversations with people across the entire room just by whispering at certain points in the wall and the sound waves would bounce to the other side. Great drunken stoned fun.

12. Yes you can grow in winter if you use the right material.

And that's just awesome :D i lived in a Geodesic dome when i was volunteering on a horticulture farm in South America (Ecuador) That's where i got interested with all this .

13. looks like a greenhouse to me! good info tho :D

14. Thanks :)

15. I hate plastic sheeting. I built a greenhouse ( not a dome though ) and covered it with plastic sheeting. After a few years it started to tear and crack. UV breaks that stuff down pretty quick, and it's not a very efficient insulator. After replacing a couple of sections I finally decided to invest in a product called Solexx. Which is very similar to twin wall poly carbonate sheeting. It comes with a 10 year guarantee against UV breakdown and hold's up better in the wind.

Just a thought for those who might want to try a DIY greenhouse.

16. What about translucent fiberglass?

17. hahahahh dude i thought you were black while i was reading this :eek:

cool guide though...i'll have to remember this for my outdoor grow next year.

18. #38 theepothead, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
    [quote name='"BA"']hahahahh dude i thought you were black while i was reading this :eek:

cool guide though...i'll have to remember this for my outdoor grow next year.[/quote]

Your a fuckin faggot

Name-Calling is not allowed here. - KSR

19. Very nice report, I've also buit mine with a 3v configuration, just slightly larger. It's nice and cozy even in the dead of winter.

20. #40 unplugged, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

Great guide! I'm thinking about using this to grow a Mimosa Hostilis tree (so I can harvest it's root bark ;) ). I live in a USDA 7a zone but MH prefers zones 9 and above so I think this would help a lot.

Not that it makes any difference to the guide but in the interest of scientific accuracy it may be worth noting that the information quoted above about the nature of light is incorrect. Even perfectly clear glass blocks quite a bit of light, particularly in the UV-B spectrum, and translucent plastic blocks way more. For practical purposes the speed of light is constant thus light waves do not slow down when they lose energy. They become less intense because some of their energy is absorbed as heat by the objects they hit. This is why black cars get hotter than white cars because white reflects most of the light while black absorbs most of it.

So all that to say, your dome doesn't heat up because light slows down and is trapped inside. It heats up because a whole lot of the light's energy is absorbed as heat by the plastic and the hot plastic radiates heat inside the dome. This means that, although the plants are staying warm if it's cold out, they aren't getting as much light as they otherwise would which could have an effect on their development. The clearer the plastic the better.