Growing 2 plants for the first time - In need of help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TokingScot45, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Hello all,

First of I would just like to say, everything you guys do here on this site is great. I have never made an account on here before and I literally just made this one to make this post, but I can see myself coming on here far more often now that I've made one. I always come across threads on this site whenever I'm searching on google for anything to do with Cannabis, so you lot are a great help when it comes to that. ;)

So let's get into this... the title speaks for it self really. I have a few things I would like to ask anyone who happens to come across and read this thread, and then if anyone wants to throw in some other tips and tricks to help me out, that would be greatly appreciated also. So basically I have been smoking for a few years now, I've just turned 18 recently. I've now gotten to the stage that I just cannot be bothered wasting so much money on green to only a) Get ripped off, or b) Only have enough money to get a small amount and run out straight away. So I've now resorted to wanting to grow my own. I have been doing a lot of research, and I have decided to only get two seeds as I live in Scotland (Part of the UK) and don't want to risk getting caught with loads of plants. So far I have it all planned, and I know my plan for growing probably isn't ideal for most people, but as I said already... I'm only growing two plants and I'm fine about harvesting them a little early if need be

The main things I'm needing help with here is equipment. I know what I plan on getting, but I don't know specifics. Such as which type of light I should get. I recon I only need one or two at the most, but I was hoping I could get help finding a really cheap one for someone like me. Also which type of pots. I heard that there's a certain kind people like to use, and that regular ones aren't so good. I think it might be the ones that are square and have a bunch of them attached to each other. Also, which type of soil should I get? I have an idea on what air filter to get (Or smell filter, not sure what they were called) so I'm not so fussed on that, but more help is good too. Also, I know roughly when I should be watering them, but it isn't so clear to me. If anyone could leave specific instructions that would be really good.

Finally... could someone please direct me to a website that shows pictures of each stage after so many weeks or months of a plants growth? I just want to know what to expect and all that. Or if anyone here could just leave pictures that would be good also.

Thank you to anyone who stops by and even reads this! I understand that this post is a bit demanding, so I understand if some aren't so keen on helping.

Either way, cheers! :)

2. #2 Belhern, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    image.jpeg Get a small grow package off amazon. Led is fine. Make sure to get a fan and filter they smell. Smart pots and a good soil Not sure what's in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  3. image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  4. That look's great, just... I don't know if I should risk buying something like this from the internet when cannabis is illegal here. I've bought grinders and things like that as none of it is illegal until you actually use them, but I just think people would get suspicious and the police would end up coming to my door. I don't know... maybe I'm just paranoid. Oh and I don't know if you meant to send a picture of your steak ahaha. :p

Thanks for the help anyway mate! :)

5. I wouldnt worry about it your gonna need to get these supplies from somewhere. My best bud grows in London he uses Amazon too. They will tell you in the description of the box is marked. Yes of course I meant to send the steaks look at them bitches....perfection mate

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah that's true I suppose, it's just that I'm so worried about getting caught. Once I get the stuff safely I know I'll be fine though. My friend told me about a shop that should have most things I need that is near by, but I was just wanting to see if anyone could recommend specific brands that I could look out for that is cheap and good enough for someone like me that is only growing 2 plants. Oh and wow that's crazy, most people here just buy stuff from dealers then resell again, not many actually grow I don't think, unless it's for there own use. Ahaha, I've actually never had steak before! :D

7. Apollo Horticulture is the best bang for your buck Amazon search them. I'm pretty sure y'all have some slamming cattle in Scotland what's the hold up eat mate.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Check out my journal for the size of two plants.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for the suggestion mate, and oh aye ahaha. Angus beef burgers haha. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh and will do :)

11. \\\

Absolutely everything one would ever need to know to get started with this hobby is already logged here on the forum over and over and over again. If you'll notice, the "forums" page is broken down into threads or topics. It's very easy to navigate and to look around and find topics for which you have questions. There is also a master "search" bar at the top of the forums page that you can search key words and have posts appear that contain these words or are related to them. You ask a lot of questions above. For any questions about tending the plant such as soil, watering habits, pH measurement, feeding schedule, etc., go to the beginner growers threads on the forum and read, read, read. The "sticky's" posted at the first of the thread contain the basics of how to keep the plant alive...which is just as important as the equipment you use to grow with. Keep in mind that everyone on the forum is not working at the same skill level, so make sure that any advice you take from others are people who have some serious grow experience and actually know what they're talking about. Find yourself an experienced soil grower who is working with a setup something like you're putting together and stalk them like crazy. Look at pics. Notice everything in the pics...from setup parts to the soil in the pot.

Now, as far as lighting goes, this is a biggie. The most important piece of equipment in your grow setup is the lighting you use. The better quality and strength of lighting you use will determine the quality and amount at harvest time. DO NOT SKIMP ON LIGHTING. Realistically, these lights can only cover so many plants and grow them off properly. Each plant needs adequate space and absolutely the strongest light you can provide for it. Strong lighting grows a nice healthy plant with good harvest and fat, dense, resin dripping buds. Weak light grows an underdeveloped and lanky plant with buds that are the same...underdeveloped. We flower with hps bulbs and have 4000 watts per flower room. But under that much wattage, the most I will flower (or can flower off properly) is 16-18 plants. So it's really important to know and understand the various forms of lighting and what would be appropriate for your situation. For two plants, I would go with a 700 watt LED (at least) or an 800 or 1000 watt hps...so you have enough power in your lighting to actually get the buds to develop. HPS is the cheapest best form of flower lighting to go with, but it puts out a lot of heat and requires ducting, ventilation, fans, etc. LEDs are easier to deal with, but to get one of any quality at all, cheap is not going to be anywhere in the conversation. It's better to go with a well made hps setup and deal with the heat, etc., than to hang cheap LEDs over your plants. The cheap LEDs are made in China with the cheapest of components and the cheapest of labor, then shipped on a boat around the world to you. Many times, a lot of them are damaged or won't work by the time you get them into your hands and very few of the cheap fixtures ever put out what they claim to as far as strength with lighting.

You'll run across this in the beginner grower threads, but watering is everything to these plants. You never water a plant until it is almost dead dry. This is the way they like it. They DO NOT like their roots sitting in moist conditions all the time, so you water the plant and then let it use almost all the water before giving more. This causes the plant to search out the entire container and makes a larger root ball and healthier plant. pH water to the correct range (6.3 to 6.7 for soil grows) every time you water, but wait till the plant is dry enough first. I suggest you buy some Grade A quality formulated grow soil. It's worth every penny you pay for it and the soil feeds your plants for the most part and you, the grower, can stay away from the nute bottles. Nutes don't grow big healthy plants. They're just plant food, plain and simple, and the plants don't need any until they have finished what came in the soil naturally, unless you want to fry them. Using good grow soil and smart potting technique keeps the grower from having to use nutrients much at all in veg. We start them at the very end of the veg phase and give throughout the flowering cycle at 1/4 the recommended soil dose...again, because of the quality of soil we use, they're just not needed at normal strength. If you go with box store soil, stay away from MG....IT SUCKS IN EVERY WAY. Get yourself even a good generic potting mix to grow in and do a 60/40 mix of soil/perlite for drainage...another VERY important factor in healthy plants. No good drainage, no happy roots, no happy plant. Though you can't see the roots, they are the nerve center of your plant and you must always keep them happy. Read, read, read, read, read in the right place. Everything you need to know is here as long as you make sure you get it from experienced people. TWW

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wow, that's so much information. Thank you so much for taking the time out your day to type!

So first thing, yeah I understand that most things probably get answered daily, but I prefer replies to be more personal... as silly as that may seem. I don't know, I just like getting information people directed specifically to myself. Makes it feel more official if that makes much sense? But either way I didn't realize the extent this forum went to provide so much information to people. Thanks for the tips!

For the lighting, I completely get you. I have read the same thing so many times. I just thought that since I'm only planning on planting 2 seeds, that only say one or two lights would be good enough, even if tehy weren't the best. I don't know, it just seems to make more sense if you have a smaller amount in a smaller space, that you would need less lights and the quality wouldn't really seem to matter. But yes I do understand the importance, so I shall take notes!. Do you recommend any specific brand along with that type you recommended? I want to try get all my things at this shop that isn't too far from me, but as mentioned in another comment, I'm being told buying from amazon is my best bet. I'm just worried since growing is illegal here in Scotland.

For the pots, I had seen some other peoples grows, and some were using just regular cups to start off with. Do you think that would be fine, and if yeah, when should I move it into a bigger pot? For a bigger pot, I think a hempy bucket sounds good since it says that it would require less watering. What do you think? What is the most I should water them each day when they are still only small, compared to a month or so of growth? My friend had said that his dad recommended me to buy "lightmix" soil, whatever that means. What do you think?

Oh, and I've already started the stalking! ;) Belhern here has been doing a great job at helping me in a private conversation and has offered more help if I intend on taking this seriously.

Again, thank you so much for helping. I really appreciate your comment here! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dude I'm droolin! What'd ya have to go and do that for, lol. Those look mighty tasty, now I must have steak.... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mmmmm

15. Hi I'm not sure if I can help you to super much but I'll give what I know from my last grow. I started with the most getto equipment and it works it's not pretty but it works. Can't afford the fancy lights so did what you see in the pic there all the light is all fluorescent soil from the forest water from a spring never tap (unless it comes from a spring and is free of anything that will kill all the bacteria in your dirt). So I guess my point is if you really don't want any one to think you buying grow stuff get some lamps put some fluorescent lights in them. reflect the light and the kind of pot really doesn't matter much as long as it's not a toxic material be mindful of over watering for seed starts just a teaspoon every couple days will do you depending on the heat of your room o and the plant in the pick looks kinda sad cuz I just harvested a few days ago I'll see if I can find a pick of her before the cut hope I'm of some help to you

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. #16 Belhern, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Your welcome bud. When it comes to the lights as much lumens as you can afford LEDs while not my thing are very much sufficient. That "light mix" he speaks of is just a light airy drainy soil. The more it drains and dries the more feed you can give it. Everytime you water with soil it pulls fresh o2 down through the roots like fresh air. Cannabis roots love a well draining soil.
    Amazon for your price point is ok, they arnt in cahoots with the government and packages get shipped discreet if stated so in the description. Horticulture doesn't always mean MJ. A lot of people shop for growing veggies and such. For the pots smart pots are really the best for that price. They have other brands with different features that make them better in different ways, but smart pots are fine.

• Like Like x 1
  17. If you guys want hop on @kc kush grow journal read it over we covered a lot of ground.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mate, I don't care what people think about grows like this... it's smart and well done for the price you paid. Great job! All comments are great help so appreciate yours too. :) I'm probably leaning towards something like this too now, but i'm trying to save up for god eequipment, I just mean that I might ditch getting a grow tent as I have nowhere really to put one. I just need to find a way for all these plugs to get in, and know when I should be putting all my equipment on and off.

19. Thanks for the tips! :) Could you help me on these few questions I have via pm please? I just need to figure out when I should be putting my equipment on and off each day. I understand that I should get a timer or whatever, but after I get the other equipment I might not have enough. So do you know specific times I should be putting everything on and off? Also if times change as the plants get to a certain age, could you tell me the times for that too? Oh, and I was wondering if there was anyway to keep the plant fairly short and still grow bud? I just want to keep it as discreet as I can.

20. #20 Belhern, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Would you like to do that on here or a PM? But yeah of course I'll help ya out...PM sent