Growem Bigger In 2013

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by PromixPeat, May 26, 2013.

1. I got one C99 plant.  She is doing well, but it will be interesting to see her harvest.

What indicators do you use to tell when to harvest?

Any tips for drying or curing?

2. #42 PromixPeat, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
    I started using a mini microscope to check the trich's couple years ago. Before that I was probally picking some to early and most to late. Old school was to pick it when the hairs are half red, in time I learned a good cold night or a day or two without water can turn hairs early. I pick when the trich's are greater than 50% amber. 

Drying tips? Microwave works great...lol

Seriously I cut the branches into 2ft sections and hang it in a cool dark room on masonary string going from wall to wall with a dehumidifier set at 50% and a gently fan circulating the air until it's crispy on the outside but stems wont snap. Then it's into Large Zip lock bags to be pulled out for an hour or two the first couple days then I just open the bags daily for decreasing amounts of time until it's just right.

Any suggestions on how to improve these techniques don't be shy. I would love to get better at any stage of growing/harvesting.

Here is another pic of that Lambo a week older, the other one is just to the right, and the last is another spot that night but the lens cover didn't open then the battery died. I really wanted to get a pic of my 818 headband too.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      735.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      595.3 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      469.2 KB
      Views:
  3. Great tips buddy!

On the Purple Maroc that I harvested today, I got some really big stalked trichomes, which I have not seen from past grows in such abundance.  The trichs were about 20% amber the rest being cloudy or clear.

I got them strung up to dry just as you describe.  Unfortunately, I don't have electricity to my drying shed for a humidifier or a fan.

Your plants are looking great.

4. Was out watering one of my spots and got a quick pic. It got too dark to take anymore. They are really kicking the flowers out now. The Plants closest to the camera are a Blue Cheese X 88' HB/G-13 I crossed last year. They are turning out better than I expected.

Attached Files:

5. #45 PromixPeat, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
    Went to spot 7, the second pic is taken looking back to where I was standing for the first pic.
    3rd and 4th pic is the top of a Mazar Kush, 5th is Pineapple Express. and the last one is from the entrance to this patch. The crystals are crazy on the P.E. the big one in the 2nd pic is a GSC.

Attached Files:

6. Dang, you having an outstanding grow.  I'm thinking the weather is really helping me this year.  How does this years' grow compare to prior grows fro you?

You still feeding your plants?

7. UB, the weather where i'm at has been a growers dream this year. I can't remember a year I didn't have to water this much. Glad I have sandy soil in this area. I have a plant that is going to rival my biggest plant ever if I get to harvest her.

I haven't stopped feeding yet but this next visit I will only feed the later budding one's with Bio-Soil and Humic acid mixed in water, then Indonesian Bat guano top dressing.  

I am in a maximum state of paranoia. I can just feel that I'm going to loss one of my spots to rippers or cops or both. If I didn't have 4 kids and a wife to take care of I would camp out in the woods til harvest time. I just might one or two nights before it gets too cold.

8.       I have another animal story/encounter to share. The other night about 2am, I was on my way back from one of my spots. I had walked up a long steep hill in the pitch black of night about 50yds from the top I hear a dog panting really close to me. I turned on my head light and to my surprise I see a large Rottweiler sitting down looking very nervous and the biggest coyote I've ever seen standing 10ft behind it. I immediately started charging with a loud war cry and my machete raised ready to strike if needed. The coyote took off like a blur, but the Rot just sat there never moved a muscle. I stopped charging when I was within 10ft of the Rot. I walked around it cautiously and keep going. I turned around and shined my flashlight when I was 50-60yds away and it was still just sitting there facing away from me, never moved once. T'was very weird. I had just watched a show the night before about the Devil Dog spotted real close in WV...lol

9. I went out to water last night and took a couple night pics of the plant that may take my record. It is a White Siberian x 88' HB/G-13. The brown bag is covering my face.

The next is a pic of CH9 Cluster x 88' HB/G-13 crosses.  

Last pic is of a breed I've been growing for many years. It came from a friend that went to Amsterdam in 1984 and brought back several different types. He grew them all in the same spot and let them cross breed each other with no Idea which was pollinating which. He ended up with 2 different tastes/types after all was said and done. This is the more indica one. I have selected the fastest biggest bud every year to keep seeds from and now they are the fastest budding I've grown. I've never tasted another like it also. Unfortunately I only grew 2 of them this year because of my quest to find a taste I smoked in the early 90's. 

Attached Files:

10. Thanks for sharing the great stories.  Stories about strange dogs roaming the woods in the middle of the night are a prime reason I don't go out into the woods at night.

How much more flowering time do you think you've got?  That Amsterdam mix breed, looks pretty developed.   I checked mine the other day, and I'm thinking at least another week till harvest.

Starting to see more rain and cooler temps and I'm thinking of spraying with Serenade to prevent fungus/mold.  Do you spray at all?

11. Good luck harvesting and remember one thing

[​IMG]

Stay safe.

I thought you would like that story UB. To be honest, the next time I went out at night I was a little nervous. But I keep telling myself there has only been one reported case of coyotes killing anyone and that was in Canada somewhere.

I've been taking on a lot of mold this year more than normal. It's a great year to find out which breeds are mold resistant though. I have never sprayed to control mold before, but last week I went out and bought some Organic Actinovate but decided not to use it. I Have been putting a lot of hours pulling dead leafs to manage it. The worst breed as far as mold goes is the 818 Headband, although it is the thickest bud next to my local bud. The breed with the best mold resistance to mold besides my local has to be Sweet Purple so far. 

I will b harvesting from now til end of November or even longer from the looks of my Pinewarp. They are just starting to hair now. Very disappointed in that breed. 

Have you sprayed your plants for mold before UB? If so How well do you think it worked?

13. I went out today and made sure there were no buds laying in the dirt and took these pic's.
    1st pic is of the Lambo in front of me, 2nd is view from the top down, 3rd is view from bottom up, and the last is a lower bud on UV-A from Rare Dankness. The UV-A has impressed me. I hope it tastes as good as it looks. 

They are really putting on the weight now.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      791.9 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      446.8 KB
      Views:

Last year around me was terrible for mold, and I thought for sure the plants would suffer so a sprayed with a product called Serenade.  I did not have any mold problems last year, so did it help - I think it did.

This year seems a lot better weather wise than last year, so I have not sprayed the plant, and they seem to be doing fine.

I'm hoping to harvest more this week and next.  I hope to be done before the first of October at the latest.

15. #55 Uncle Benny, Sep 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013

Those are some pretty darn big colas and I love how the buds have nice big trichomes on them.  Very nice photos, promix.

What do you expect from harvest?  If you don't mind me asking - 5-10lbs?

16. Thanks UB, I just got a new camera. Although I took my old camera last night and took these two pics at night. First pic, left to right is Jamaican Dream x2, Cheese x2, then Girl Scout Cookie. Second pic is another GSC. There are two skeletons there one is JD other is 818 headband. I also cut 1 OG Kush, and Kandy Kush from this spot. I added another good pic from the UV-A I didn't post last time.

I'm the worst at estimating weight. I don't even try any more. I really don't even weigh it after harvest cause it gets stashed in so many different area's and time between cuttings and cycling through different spots, I get so mixed up by the time it's all done I'm lucking to remember where I hide it all.

How much smoke does it take get you through the year UB?

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      670.5 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      659.6 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      394.2 KB
      Views:
  17. I hear you about not bothering weighing everything and having weed hidden all around the house.  But, this year I'm going to try to get a pretty good estimate on the final harvest weight.  I'm thinking my harvest this year will be more than enough for me for several years.  If I smoke and ounce a month, that is a lot.

I like to smoke a little more than the average bear. Wake and Bake seems to be a motto with me. It helps that I work for myself and don't have to worry about drug tests or dick head bosses. If I just smoked without cooking it or giving it away I could live with 4.0lbs a year. I would really like to keep track of how much I pull in though. I will try to start writing down my package weights this year out of curiosity. I usually just estimate about 4 oz.. per gallon zip lock bag. I used a few boxes of them last year,

I found that turning any extra bud from the previous years into oil to cook with. It's a great way to enjoy a different buzz, plus it gives non-smokers a way to enjoy it and cookies are great to take on vacation to a non-smoke friendly place.

19. I want to eat that cow.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. Here are some from the spot that a tree fell on my one C99 and killed it. All except the Dinafem White Widow are looking mold/disease free in this spot though.

The first pic is wide shot,
    Next is right side
    Next is the left side
    Last pic is Royal Queen Seeds Special Queen #1 top cola. The bud is laying over over not the pic.  

Giga bud is the large plant in front on the left side.

The large one way in the back on the left side is a Punky Lion from Samsara Seeds. Decription said it even buds on the fan leaves. Which I've had plants do before.

Attached Files: