Grow tent

Discussion in 'General' started by AlvaroQJ, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Hi guys

I was wondering if you could please help me with the following.I made my own grow box ( Material: wooden struts and wooden side sheet, Dimension: 0.5 m x 0.5m x 1.6m). I would like to know if I have covered all basic components and if i have the correct size. Kindly note that this grow box will only accommodate a single plant. I will be installing the following:
    1. Either 1 x 100w Flood light or 3 x 60W normal light bulbs (please see attached pics and please advise)
    2. One computer fan for air circulation.
    3. A digital timer
    Please let me know if these components will be sufficient.

Thanks

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. You're going to need some ventilation for that box. If it's going to be located in part of your house that gets use at all hours your box needs to be light proof. So ventilation without letting in light. Use grow lights instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Go led with an option to add more later

look to adding a small bathroom extract fan late veg

but 1200x1200 is more fun

good luck

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. yes i will be installing ventilation fans at the top and bottom and will seal out any light coming into the grow box. unfortunately i dont have access to grow lights so ill have to use normal lighting. Can i use simple 100W filament light bulbs?

5. That would be my last choice for lighting. Back in the day (1970s) I grew with fluorescents and it worked. Although it doesn't compare to modern lighting fluorescents would be a better choice than ordinary light bulbs. Check into outdoor flood lights, like high pressure sodium or metal halide. You should be able to get those wherever you are. I grew some decent buds with metal halide which was a step up from fluorescents. Where do you live that you can't do mail order?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. i was looking for a cheap initial start up and later on progress into proper lighting and so on. I live in Africa.

7. If you don't have enough money for any light other than an incandescent light bulb you probably shouldn't grow and save your money for food. Incandescents are not cost effective as 90% of their energy is used on making heat, not light. I don't know how you can get around that.

So, what's up with the mail order brides from Africa? I Google mail order to Africa and I get pages of ads for mail order brides.

8. Yeah I figured as much. Do you think one of these lights will work? My concern is that the LED does not hav to correct spectrum of light.
    Mail orders don't work well in Africa. Maybe in South Africa.

Attached Files:

9. No. That'll burn up your plants. You don't have access to grow lights in Africa? But you can get a tent. Sounds odd to me. And that tent is very small. Maybe good for seedlings. But in a smaller space, it's difficult to maintain environmental factors. Especially if using household lights. Maybe you should just save up and get a proper sized tent with correct lighting and equipment. But do whatever you want because that's what your gonna do anyways. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks. I want to grow just one plant at a time. The grow box was made not purchased. Would you suggest I go ahead? Can you guys please suggest something other than grow lights?

11. Mate, you will need decent lights. prob the most important part of your kit!!!.. I would save and start once you have that in place to avoid disappointment,.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. At the prices I see on the shelf, I hope you are not in South Africa, and someplace with a weaker currency.

If you are in SA grow your plants outdoors, do not exceed four plants, because that is the rumour that is our limit, based on US law.

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

13. No it isnt RSA, converting the price it comes to arund R750. I am going ahead with a bathroom fan and 2 x 60W CFL bulbs.

14. Do the fluorescent bulbs work with your electricity? They won't grow a lot of pot but they will do a better job than those halogens.

Never mind, I see you just posted you were doing that. Use the actual wattage for the CFLs to determine how much light you're giving. A 13w CFL isn't going to do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Just a random question. Is it ok to have two weed plants in different stages together? Any advice on why the plant on the left just stopped growing?

Attached Files:

16. Your plant on the far left looks a little worse for wear.. Hardly any leaves (that is why you have hardly any bud) - Plus the soil looks very dry with not much perlite …. She's struggling mate.
    WHY have you got 2 plants in one pot? One is smaller and weak because the roots are fighting for space/food and one will either die or just be scrawny, You need to get one out ASAP!!!! Good luck

17. First of all, it probably didnt like being splattered with paint. Inadequate lighting. There could be a host of things going on in there.
    In the original post, you say you will be growing 1 plant. Now you show 3. What lighting schedule are u using? vegging and flowering plants have different requirements. Well, unless growing just autos. It looks like you are growing in dirt and not a proper soil for cannabis. It needs some aeration in the soil. Perlite is an excellent choice. Cannabis roots like a loose airy soil. Are you using any nutes or fertilizers? And only 1, plant per pot. You will most likely have issues with those.

18. So this is the story. I am avid weed smoker, as a result i decided to randomly plant a seed just for fun and here we are. So my plan is simple. Have a single grow box that fits a single plant. like a hobby. Thank you very much for the pointers you guys have given.

once the box is complete i will then start fixing the soil issues and obviously schedule the correct light period for different cycles and take all factors into consideration to make sure that the plant ends up healthy.

Just an update. i will be installing 2 x CFL 85W (im using the rule of thumb, 100W per plant) lights for the box i have. i already have a timer and bathroom fan that will be installed at the top of the box. Because the box is not complete sealed at the bottom, the fan will be able to draw air from the bottom thus creating ventilation for the plant.

I know that the box and the lighting is basic and rudimental, but im only doing this for entertainment purposes. As long as i get some good weed from single plant every 3 months or so ill be happy.

Attached Files:

19. Bro, is that foil on the walls of your box? if so, remove it immediately mate. It will cause heat spots and you will burn your plants! Best off to paint the inside white! MUCH more reflective and safer!