Grow Tent Setup: would this work?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by HeinrichH, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Long time smoker, first time grower here.
    I would like to grow just one cannabis plant for personal use. My idea was to do it in a tent in my room. Would this setup work?

I hope you guys can help me with this setup, tell me if something isn't necessary or if something is missing. I left out the carbon filter because I figured a single plant won't produce too much smell. Or am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated

2. That fan is garbage, you'll never get 250 cfm out of it. You need a high-velocity fan to cool your 400w in that tent, I'd recommend a 6" centrifugal inline, a speed controller (get the right fan for the controller) and I'd definitely recommend a carbon filter. 400w grows some decent sized plants, and they'll stink ;) Amazon has been coming up with good deals lately, so check around. HTG Supply, hydroponics.net, HIDhut.com have all been good to me.

250w will be fine for one plant, but I'd recommend the 400w since I hate running out of bud. I'd also recommend a bigger tent for that light, at least 3x3 (I use a 4x4).

3. what about getting a lamp with a cool tube and a cheap fan (the one I posted)? would that work? I mean, the cubic footage in the tent is like 35, so it should be OK if the fan doesn't actually reach 250?
    I'll look into a carbon filter, thanks.

any other advice/answers?

4. I've tried all types of fans in my setups, returned a lot of them. That's a duct booster and the cfm applies to optimum conditions as in, it's being used to boost air that's already moving through a duct. It's nothing more than a pc fan in a tube.

I've found that most axial fans have low static pressure and their cfms are drastically reduced at the slightest restriction (ducting, filter, passive intake) They're fine for a pc grow or a few cfls but useless with hid lighting. They just don't move enough air.

5. Thanks, I'll take that into consideration.
    Another question: How many plants could I grow in that tent (80x80x160cm)? Surely more than just one? If so, would I need a stronger lamp than 400W?

6. Depends what you are growing but you could easily fill your entire grow space with one plant that had been given good grow conditions. You may want to get two small indicas and then look as either scrog or some reasonably intensive LSTing. 400w is enough if you have the setup right, but 600w would be better.

As for Fan - exactly what he said.

Soil/Nutes - if you are not up to compiling you own mix then have a look at foxfarms ocean forest and their range of liquid feeds. I have had excellent results whenever i have used them.