Grow tent question

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by limpy L, Sep 18, 2012.

1. First hello to all.. Been looking in this site for a month or so and have been finding it extremely helpful. I am new to weed (medically retired from gov so now I won't lose my job if I smoke)

I spoke to my wife and although she does not like weed she is ok with me growing it but we aggreed I would only flower one at a time(just happy she aggreed for me to do it)

I have been looking at The Secret jardin 90t. I like how I can flower and veg in one tent..

My first question is should I go for that or buy 2 small tents one for veg and the other for flowering?

Depending on both set ups what equipment would I need for each? With me being a total noob I am not sure what to get.. They will be in the basement sound and smell will be my top priority.. After that it will be more on getting the highest yield per flower. As far as cost I want to keep it under 1k

When reading on forums you get too much info for someone starting out it almost seems over whelming..

2. Check out the following:
    BOOK: The Cannabis Grow Bible by Greg Green
    Videos: Jorge Cervantes Grow DVD's (You can find them on youtube)

The following is great for a first grow for anyone

SOIL:
    Fox Farm Ocean Forest

NUTRIENTS:
    Advanced Nutrients Line (can be expensive)
    Fox Farm Line(budget friendly)

NOTE: If you are growing outdoors the following information you do not need to read.
    INDOOR GROWERS

Exhaust Fan:
    Each fan has a rating that tells you how many cubic feet of air per minute (CFM) it will move. When dealing with above average temperatures you will want your fan to exchange the grow room air 3-5 times in one minute, so for a room that is 40 cubic feet, a fan that is capable of moving 120-200 cfm (cubic feet per minute) is recommended. If you only want to replace depleted levels of co2 and are growing in a closet using fluorescents, one room change per five minutes (divide room size by 5) will be adequate.

So depending on the size of the room you will need a fan to actually REMOVE the air....not just let it naturally vent

Lighting
    HID - Metal Halid (Veg stage)/ High Pressure Sodium(flowering stage)
    and/or
    CFL - Compact Flourescent (Cheaper but nowhere near as efficient)

Grow Room/Tent
    You can search "Amazon.com" for grow tents.
    Depending on your needs you can get a small tent 2x2', but if you ever plan on growing more plants i would suggest going with a 4'x4' tent just so you have the space. Also a 600w MH/HPS kit would be more than efficient in there

If you plan on growing in a closet always line the walls with mylar and ventilation is necessary

YOUR BEST BET IS TO LOOK AT SOME OF THE GROW JOURNALS ON THESE FORUMS AND PICK UP TIPS AS YOU GO ALONG
    >>>>>>> Outdoor Grow Journals
    >>>>>>> Indoor Grow Journals

In your case.....as far as veg tent and flower tent goes....i would suggest 2 tents....

3. Would you suggest a pre done package or buy everything separate? If I buy each piece separate what is mandatory and what is a luxury?? I know co2 system helps a lot but is it worth $500??

Can I get a list of what is mandatory down to useless??

Thanks in advance

4. Here is an example:

I recently just purchased these items and they all came in the mail today

Tent: Amazon.com: Earth Worth 96"X48"X78" Mylar Hydro Shanty Hydroponics Indoor Grow Tent - Earth Worth Quality at an Affordable Price!: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    (Im only going to be using half of it for now....im going to be partitioning a section off)

Lighting: Amazon.com: Buyiparts 600W HPS/MH Grow Lights Include Dimmable Ballast Extra Air Cool Hood Grow lights Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Fan: Amazon.com: VenTech Hydroponic 6'' Inline Fan and Carbon Air Filter 6'' Duct Flange Combo Set for Odor Control: Everything Else

Temp/Humid: Amazon.com: Acu-Rite 00325 Home Comfort Monitor, Black: Home & Kitchen

Any your nutrients depends on you....for an absolute beginner i would recommend the fox farm stuff because its cheap and the feeding schedule is easy.

There are a lot of unnesscesary things

Ozone Generator
    Co2
    etc

5. #5 limpy L, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    so if I go with 2 Secret Jardin DR40 Grow Tent 1 for veg and 1 for flowering would this equipement meet my needs or should i change anything up?

Secret Jardin DR40 Grow Tent The size is 15.75" x 15.75" x 47.25"
    Or
    Secret Jardin DR60 Grow Tent The size is 23.5" x 23.5" x 55"

All infomation is me buying the DR40 if i go with the DR60 I may need bigger lights..

veg tent
    1 250w mh
    http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Light-hy...d=1348004262&sr=1-7&keywords=250+watt+mh+bulb

1 4" duct fan exhaust
    Amazon.com: VenTech 4" Inline Fan 190 CFM Hydroponics Inline Duct Fan Exhaust Blower Fan: Patio, Lawn & Garden

1 speed control
    http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-Blower---Fan-Speed-Control.asp

1 temp/humidity gage
    Amazon.com: Acu Rite Indoor Humidity Monitor: Home & Kitchen

1 or 2?? 6" Clip-On fan (for air circulation)
    HTG Supply - Growbright 6 Inch Clip-On Fan

flowering equipment:

1 400w hps light or stick with 250w?
    Amazon.com: Buyiparts 400W HPS/MH grow light include Dimmable Ballast Extra Air Cool TUBE Grow lights Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

1 6" fan exhaust
    Amazon.com: VenTech Hydroponic 6'' Inline Fan and Carbon Air Filter 6'' Duct Flange Combo Set for Odor Control: Everything Else

2 6" Clip-On fan (for air circulation)

or should i go

1 4" duct fan intake
    Amazon.com: VenTech 4" Inline Fan 190 CFM Hydroponics Inline Duct Fan Exhaust Blower Fan: Patio, Lawn & Garden

with 1 6" Clip-On fan (for air circulation)

1 speed control
    Products

1 temp/humidity gage
    Amazon.com: Acu Rite Indoor Humidity Monitor: Home & Kitchen

and 2 timers for each tent

am I missing anything or is this over kill??? take anything away add anything?

thanks for working with me.. I understand these have been answered before but with every size/wants and needs different it is hard to find the setup that is best for me..

6. One tent is a good start. One tent,one HPS light, one carbonfilter, one fan, a few passive 's' curve ducting and lots of duct tape...the rest is overkill. Try a simple setup, attempt to grow out a single plant, then decide if you want to do more, it's not always easy...just look at the sick plant section :eek:

7. Limpy if you have the budget then that is the perfect setup

I would go with 400w for flower though

8. #8 limpy L, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2012
    Thank you for that... I will take it to heart.. i have always been the person that hates to waste money and buy sub par items.. tv's houses what ever.. I am mostly educating myself and I tend to overdue it until I know what I need and dont need...

Should I go with the

Secret Jardin DR40 Grow Tent The size is 15.75" x 15.75" x 47.25"
    Or
    Secret Jardin DR60 Grow Tent The size is 23.5" x 23.5" x 55"

I am thinking that the 40 is more of a veg while the 60 is more for growing??

9. Get a 6ft tall tent, you're going to flower 1-3 plants (I say 3 because 3-4 months for one plant is a lot, and it might die so you may want back up) You want to get a taller bushy strain to maximize your yield since your not growing a bunch of plants. That's all i can suggest since im still learning myself

10. Stay away from Amazon/eBay. I bought my 4x4x6 tent off of amazon and it's a straight up piece of shit. I don't think it will be able to support my light, fan, or filter without it all coming down, so now I have to modify it to support it all. Not to mention the 100 pinhole light leaks that I had to cover up... gah never again.

I was going to do the eBay/Amazon budget grow, but then I asked for opinions on some of the shit on here (such as a 600w or 1000w dimmable ballast with MH and HPS bulbs for like 300 bucks, turns out the colours were not what I needed) So i ended up dropping a pretty penny on most (picked up a 1000w dimmable ballast, air cooled hood, HPS bulb, and 6 inch fan for 750ish, maybe a bit more).

Amazon/eBay might get you through a grow or two, but soon enough you will have to buy new equipment. You get what you pay for, in short.