Grow Tent Passive Intake

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SicNek, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Should I close up most of my passive intake vents to create negative pressure?

My humidity is running high during lights out... I'm just wondering if the negative pressure will remove excess humidity.

Or do I leave more vents open?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. There will definitely be a drop in temperature and your RH will change. Will it be enough is the question. Though I think both the ratio of air and water molecules will remain constant. Assuming that both would be removed from the drop in pressure. Try it for yourself, and post your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. To clarify the above statement the drop in pressure from the exhaust will remove both the same amount of air and water molecules leaving you with the same ratio you started with.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks... not sure that answers the question for me though. "Testing" it for myself is a risk I'm trying to avoid.

Anyone have experience with lowering night time humidity by increasing the negative pressure?

5. Thanks for clarify! Makes sense. I dread drawing more power with something like a dehumidifier.

6. Yep, humidity rises in mine when increase it bro

7. Keep a low passive intake open and have your outtake fan up high, you always want negative pressure it will help with humidity

8. I have negative pressure of 165 CFM right now. It does alleviate some since during lights out my fan is off and it raises anywhere from 15 to 20 sometimes.

9. More air circulation will decrease humidity. Closing vents and sucking your tent in that much more is going to limit the amount of air going out of the exhaust fan slightly more then having more vents open. This will decrease your overall air changes and increase your humidity. I'm a trained HVAC tech. Most heated home air is quite dry. The more of that you can get to run through your tent the lower the humidity will go. You could purchase a dehumidifier if you wanted to take an extra step.

The only way that decreasing passive air intake would decrease your humidity is if you decided to run a higher temperature or if your intake air was super moist which if it's an indoor environment it shouldn't be.

On a side note I live in one of the rainiest places in the US. It is very typical to be at 100% humidity outside. It's like that at least 2/3rds of the year. I have done nothing to control humidity in my tent and it's never been a problem. I've never had bud rot. With indoor heating and cold winter temps outside it's 28% right now.