Grow tent or box?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by the_beast76, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Can anyone help me pick out a setup that's well ventilated and all that still ?

2. I picked up a grow tent off E-bay for like $89 and im super happy with it. I know everyone recommends "Secret Jardin" grow tents but I dont think you need to pay all that $$ for a good product.

Grow Tents are superior in my opinion because they allready have all the hook-ups and cut outs for say carbon scrubber, ducting, etc.

But you should really do some research and figure out what would work best for your situation. No one can pick it out for ya, other than you.

3. I got the $80 ebay tent. Had it for about 2 years. No problems as all.

OP, pick what size area you can grow in and get a tent that will fit.

Don't spend more money than you have to. I also use a $200 400w mh/hps light that I got on ebay. Lots of people told me it would be cheap and crappy, but I didn't want to spend twice as much, so I bought the cheap light and I've been running it for almost 2 years now w/ out any problems.

4. Yep...I got a $250 light off HTGSupply.com (great website!) and it produces great buds for me. I just wish it unplugged from the ballast. Thats kinda irritating...

Tent-$100 (includes shipping)
    Light-$200-300
    Fan w/scrubber combo -$100-$200 (again...HTGSupply.com has great deals)
    Seeds- $50
    Nutrients- $50...to start...:smoke:
    Containers,electricity bill,random shit -$50

Of course you can go cheaper with CFLs and what not, but grow big or go home eh...;)

5. Hey man coul you suggest what kind of tent I should get and the fan w/scrubber combo?

6. #6 RO76, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
    Get a tent.It will save you time and money. Do not go with some cheap knock offs ,some of them are made of plastic which can produce toxic gasses when exposed to heat and over all quality can be crappy as well. There is a chance that you might get a nice cheap one, but most likely not. Average price on a quality 3x3x6 tent is less than $200(including shipping).
    This website sells good tents and prices are good too:Grow Tents - Greners.com . The only downside is slow shipping it take about 2 weeks to get a package from them, but they do sell quality items and stand behind products they sell .

7. Just check out HTGSupply.com

8. good info here guys...i got a 2 x 4 x5 1/2 tent off ebay ..90 include ship....htg supply has a 400hps/mh digital conversion light that will handle your grow from start to finish..$164.00..for a few bucks more can get cool tube to really redude heat...always get more powerful fan that you think you need..thru bends and scrubbers sucks power..and would suggest the adjustable fan control so you can dial it in...but to start..a tent and lights...house fans will work till your plants stink and by then you could save for fan and scrubber...just my duece:smoke:

9. Tents are great. They are so versatile and easy.

I got a 3x3x6.5 tent for $95. I'm on my second grow and it is great.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Reflective-MYLAR-Hydroponics-3x3x78-GYO1005A/dp/B002TZTS8E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: 100% Reflective MYLAR Hydroponics Grow Tent 3'x3'x78" GYO1005A: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

That tent has 4" openings. Make sure you know what size you are getting, what ever tent you get.

I second the Indoor Grow Lights by High Tech Garden Supply | Your Online Hydroponics Store recommendation. Their filter fan combos are cheap and they work.

10. Snoopster I've got a GYO tent as well. Dirt cheap on ebay. Working on my 4th grow in it right now, got nothing to complain about.

11. only thing on tents is i suggest hittin; the zippers with a touch of wd40 or another lubricant..zippers seem to be the tents weaknesses..keep em lubed once in a while...smooth sailin':smoke:

12. Very True. One of my zippers came off like the 3rd day in and unfortunately it was unfixable...

Thats why they make Gorilla tape tho!

13. tents all the way man ive got two off ebay and lights from flora hydroponics out of hotlanta(alanta ga) fast shipping and easy warenty(droped bulb shattered told them it came like that new bulb two days later they paid shipping)

14. #14 RO76, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011

My exact point. When you buy cheap sweatshop made knock offs from e-bay be prepared to spend an extra buck here and there. Also some of those cheap tents comes with only 4" ventilation ports, but most of the air-cooled reflectors have a standard air port sizes of 6" and 8".... So make sure to check on that as well...
    P.S.I personally done with ebay,just got tired of low quality trash they sell....Nothing personal:wave:

15. Ive spent like a grand on darkroom tents. The 240W and the 300. They are great and pretty necessary unless your building an entire custom grow room. Helps keep light in, water in, and helps keep bugs out.

16. Dont call my Growtent cheap...

17. only you know your coin situation....would everyone love ta have the best of everything..sure...but we'ed all be savin' up and not growin''':eek:i'm yankin' my 4th harvest outta my 89 dollar tent..think i covered the cost..and..its still perfect..like anything..they need cleanin' and maintainence...:smoke:

18. #18 RO76, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
    By CHEAP I mean quality (I actually was not talking about your tent, just used your post as an example for the original poster). Lets be honest E-bay is known for selling cheap-(LOW QUALITY) products... And usually price and quality walks side by side.Of cos there are exceptions to the rules.:wave:
    P.S. All I was trying to do is to hep the original poster...

19. no problemo bro...its always best to start with the best equipment...and cost difference is not that much really..i will go that route next for sure....its just the tone...if ya post up soundin' like the final athourity people rise to the bait...im sure your gonna give good advice...just be a tad more encouraging...no harm...no foul...keep playin' tall..peace deacon:smoke:

20. And you did help, I definitely decided to go with one of the tents provided by that site. Thanks for the help.

You think this light set-up

Discount Grow Lights - - 1000W HPS/MH Digital Ballast, Bulb and Deluxe Reflector Combo- 120/240v

Would be too much for this tent?

GrowLab Portable Grow Rooms - GL80L - Greners.com