Grow Tent on its side??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by berry1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Been thinking to myself that why mount a 4 x 4 x 6.5 grow tent vertically when im going to run a scrog im them. Surely a scrog does not need 6.5 foot of height? 

So how about using the grow tent on its side so the dimensions would be 4' H 4' W 6.5' L ? would this work? all i would be mounting inside the grow tent would be 2 x 600w wing style hps lights so wont need that much support to be hanging things from. 

So theoretically by doing this using a strain that can yield up to 600 to 700g per square meter that would enable the possibility to yield a total 1200g from the single grow tent which would usually yield say 600g max. 

So would this idea work anyone think? 

2. I don't see a problem with it working on its side but with 1200 watts of HID you are gonna need some sort of exhaust system or your plants will fry.

3. #3 berry1, Dec 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013

I have a 1325cfm 12" in line fan you think that will handle the ventilation? 

Only problem is that the 1325cfm fan is EXTREMELY loud so im faced with 2 options for the ventilation.

1. Use the 1325cfm fan and mount it on the end of a 5m piece of acoustic ducting. The fan would be in a separate room pulling the hot air from the tent through the 5m piece of ducting. Also would construct a acoustic box if i choose this option with acoustic foam and some chip board.

2. Use a 295cfm 6" fan that i can mount directly into the grow tent no need for 5m of ducting to separate the fan from the room or the acoustic box.

Would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me if both of these options would be efficient at exhausting the tent with 1200w or if i would have to go with the 12" inline. I would far prefer the 295cfm 6" fan because of the labor side of things but prepared to use whichever is necessary :)

4.  I would go with option #1 and add a fan speed controller. That way you can dial down the fan speed to suit your needs and shouldnt be so loud because its not running "Balls out".

5. 4ft of height really isnt enough for a 1200w scrog. Figure 1ft for pot size, 1ft of plant height, 1ft for lights, and you only have a foot left for actual bud before its hitting your light.

6. #6 berry1, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013

That is a very good point but i was planning to mount the scrog screen about 4 inches above the plants? i know this will be insanely hard to work with but im down for the labour :)

So if i have 3g pots that are 1ft high 9 plants under each 4 x 4 scrog in the 8 foot long tent so running 2 different 4 x 4 scrogs in the 8 foot long tent.

So 1ft for the pots 4" for the screen thats 16 inches so 48 - 16 = 32 inches spare now the light wont go directly on top of the tent so say 5" off that for the light that leaves 27 inches for bud growth. If the buds only grow to 12 inches past the screen that leaves 15 inches between the buds and the light. What does everyone think? that sound do able? 

7. If not the only other option i can think of is to remove a few floor boards so the pots rest say 8 inches lower? 

8. Easiest option is just get a bigger tent.

9. You won't have height enough, even if you add 8 in. and you certainly wont get plant enough for 600 per m2
    Sorry. Might be a neat experiment, but if you want smoke you will need more height. $.02

Dont fancy doing that as i can get the saw out and cut a few floorboards away no problem. To get another tent requires more space and more height. When your trying to crap lights in everywhere and already short on space the new tent option isn't a great way to go.

Does know one think it can be done in the 48" tall tent ? was planning on growing vip cheese and c99 although can get rid of c99 if its going to grow to high. 

Appreciate your opinion thanks :) does height have a great deal to do with yield? didn't think it did to much with scrog?

12. Can you add cool tubes? I had trouble with 5' height. I had a cool tube tied it by raping it under the tube. Pulled it up even and tied it almost even with the top bars. Forced the top of my tent up. I scrogged 8" above. 3 gal. Pots. Get indica/ indica dominant hybrids. Forget scrog. Consider topping and lst your tops. You'll be able to keep them any height needed. Plus if you get a hermie or disease it's hard to spot in a scrog.

13. I just had 2 think different and 2 critical + auto grow to harvest under 450w of cfls inside a 1m by 2m grow tent on its side, without my 125rvk it was pretty hot for them! I'd sealed off the other side n only used about 80cm of space out of the 2m stretch. I would imagine 2 600w bulbs would be alot more trouble to deal withSent from my C6903 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Yea no way you pull this off with any hid. Not possible without insane cooling and zero errors

15. #15 berry1, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2013
    Edited

16. Come to my senses and abandoned the idea lol because when you add up the costs of the huge fans needed to cool this grow set up its really not much of a saving compared to just buying new tents.

Cheers for giving the info i needed everyone :)