Grow Shed

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by GrowshedsON, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Hello everyone! I am new here. I live in Canada and I am sure you all know recreational use is legal as of tomorrow. About time, the weed prohibition is over...

The reason for this thread is that we are now allowed to grow up to 4 plants per household. I want to make a shed that I can grow the legal limit of 4 plants in year round. I have come for all the advice I can get. I am totally new to growing and basically have no idea as to what I am doing. I will list some questions below please answer anything you can thank you!

What size of shed should I be making to grow 4 plants and have all the lights, air flow, ventilation ect?

We have very cold winters here sometimes reaching -30 celsius. Will I need a heater in the shed? How should I go about heating it?

We also have very hot summers at times also. Will good insulation do the trick there? Or is the hotter the better?

I look forward to hearing from anybody. It is greatly appreciated thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hey! Welcome to gc.

8x8 shed will give ya lots of room to work in.

Insulate it above and beyond what you'd normally doo.

Cannabis plants want 17-22 degrees. All the time.

Gonna need to cool ur shed in summer and heat it in the winter. The better its insulated, the easier its gonna be.

Cheers!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. Okay thank you for the information! Just thought of something else. If i am going to be intaking air in the winter time. How will that work? The air coming in will be freezing cold

• Like Like x 1
  4. get two 1000watt mh/hps setup. if you open the hoods they will heat the room nicely

5. I've grown in a shed. It comes with a lot of obstacles both winter and summer. You're getting some good advice. You'll also have to insulate the floor as the cold will creep through the floor or ground. Lights make a decent heat source but are hard to rely on as the outside temps fluctuate daily causing inside temps to fluctuate. Plus if you're growing photoperiods theres times the lights wont be on.

Warm sheds in the winters are an open invitation to nice and other varmints. In the summer all the bugs in the neighborhood will be looking for a place to call home.

Summertime will need lots of a/c. Winters are extremely dry. Summers can get extremely humid.

It's totally doable but you have a lot of work ahead of you. The list goes on and on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. An outdoor shed is the worst place to grow other than an attic. May not even be legal as the law says the plants must be indoors and an unattached shed may not qualify.

A nice cool basement is the best place to grow and that's where I grow my main plants. Only gets down to around 40F in the winter and all summer this year only hit 63F. I'm in northern Alberta so I draw my air from the larger basement area so not getting hot air in the summer nor frigid air in the winter.

You will end up paying lots for your A/C in the summer and lots for heating in the winter. Even 6" walls won't hold back the heat or cold for long. Unless you have something like a mudroom entrance every time you open the door the grow space will get a blast of freezing air in the winter and bugs galore in the spring, summer and fall.

I would build a grow room in the house, basement if you have one, and grow there. Rippers are another concern with a shed grow.

Read some grow books for ideas.

I found a great spot to download FREE POT BOOKS. I downloaded a grow bible first and got lots more. Books look great and complete like the real ones I have here. No web site but just a page of links. Just right click on what you want and then "Save Link As" to download so they don't open first as some are 50+ megs. They got lots. Enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. ya not sure on that one.

LabRat has some good sage advice here. If you're bound and determined to grow in ur shed, grow short season autos in the shed in the early spring to early summer and then a late summer early fall harvest. 2 crops a year. not a bad haul i'm sure.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you have 3x3 extra floor space in the winter you could use an oil filled radiator style space heater that is what I use in my basement grow room, it is safe to leave unattended and provides really consistent not too dry heat, combine that with high R value you'll be all set I would assume

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dont let people discourage you. Its totally possible to grow in a shed if thats what you have.

Can you put the shed close to your house? My shed was on the back of my house so in the winter and summer I pulled air from inside my home. A well insulted small shed will not murder you in ac/heat bill. Theres other ways to draw in air without such drastic temp changes if you put your head into it

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Did my first grow in an attic through winter had an heater up there that kicked in when room. Temp dropped two degrees eassssyyyyy so easily do one in a. Shed my next will be in a garage insulate floor and get a fan controller with an heater so when lights go off that comes on

11. Ps the bud in my pic came out the attic so not sure why that’s a bad place to grow ??

12. Yeah. Totally doable, but it definitely would be more cost effective and efficient if you could grow in a spare closet, room or basement. I grow in an uninsulated attic of a barn. I insulated and built my room. Do to certain circumstances, I am not able to grow in my house. I'm in New England and deal with temp extremes. Not as cold, but the summer heat can be tough to deal with. If you only can go with the shed, insulate it big time. Floor too. Remember you will have to lug water to your plants. That can be a chore especially trudging through a foot or more of snow. I run my lights in winter during the night. They provide enough heat to keep temps warm. I may run autos this winter with lights on 24 hrs. No need for extra heater. I draw air into the attic from downstairs, which is slightly heated. Sucking air in from extreme cold from outside may be a little concern. Usually air intake is low. Make sure it isn't blocked by snow. Make sure intake and exhaust vents are rodent and as bug proofed as much as possible. Mechanics cloth and screen is what I use.

13. Growing in a shed does have it's challenges...You have to own one of every climate control gadget there is...
    I use a window unit A/c and a De-humidifier in Summer, and a small electric space heater and a Humidifier in the winter...And on extreme days of hot or cold weather, I just run my exhaust fan on a very low speed,so the gadgets can keep everything within range...

14. i grow in a room i built in my shed...

anything is possible...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Sounds like what I’m going to have to do. You helped me on another post where I asked about my build. Almost done but wrecked my back in the process! Still need to get my window ac purchased and mounted and scrog contraption built and prep my soil. Getting closer...until this damn weather slowed me down.

We went from the 90s just the other day to the 40s for the past week. So your heater comment got me thinking. Do you have it on a timer so it doesn’t run when lights are on? Picking up a little oil filled radiator heater and guess another timer too. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. I put my heater on a temp controller,so it kicks on whenever needed, day or night...

17. Yep that makes better sense to use a temp controller.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  18. Are you interested in a 'single pot' ,adjustable type scrog setup ?
    I did some like this....and they worked out pretty well...
    DSCN0140.JPG DSCN0141.JPG DSCN0142.JPG DSCN0144.JPG