Grow Setup Advice / Comments

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by IWubMarijuana, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Hey Guys. I know the GC growers are the shit of the shit at setups, and info, so I figured once I get my setup decided I'd pass it by you guys for comments / criticism. [No pics for ... security reasons.] Items marked in green are stuff I think I'm OK on, stuff marked in blue is where I need advice.

I've got a room, maybe ... 10 by 6? It's got a window, but I'm unsure if I'm going to do the whole "Fresh air intake, old air exhaust" or just a filter I can put in the room and clean.

My friend said he's got some seeds that should be good, and they're feminized.

I've got 2 small pots [irony at its best...] in which I'm going to plant them, with some soil recommended by the friend. I've only got basic nutrients, none of the specialized formula stuff. I was told good tomato plant nutrients will work, because pot grows a lot like tomatos... ?

For lighting I have a 400w HPS, which I'm gonna have hanging 4" above the plants, and I have a timer I'll be setting for the 24/7 12/12 and 18/6 timings according to this chart I found. [Estimated 8 week flowering]

I really can't afford a humidity control system, so I'm stumped on how to work around that. Any suggestions? Is humidity a BIG problem? I know when you dry / cure the buds you need a dry environment (which I can do) but during growing.. I'm stumped.

I've got a basic watering system I can hook up to a timer too

The one thing I'm most worried about, is power consumption. I've thought about getting solar panels on my roof, it's an energy saving thing, but that way the energy for the lights and stuff wouldn't draw from the electric companys system, it'd draw from something they don't have a meter on.

Thanks for reading! :)

2. First of all, I am no pro by any means, I'm just talking from gathered information.

400W is not a big spike in power consumption if that's what you're worried about. But don't hang that light 4 "inches" above the plants, at least for early weeks (veg.). In fact a lot of people recommend using CFL's or daylight MH lamps (6500K-5500K) instead of HPS for vegetative stage.. but they also say HPS is the best allrounder.. so..

Don't use small pots all the way. If the roots don't have place to grow, the plant's growth will also slow down. 5 gallons can take you all the way.

A room only for plants without ventilation will most likely deplete CO2 (18/6 veg. lights might help a little). It won't be devastating but certainly will limit plant's growth.

You can use basic stuff to raise humidity but it will effect the temperature. So if you're planning a less-ventilated grow room it might be hard to keep both temp and RH at the desired levels.

hope that helps