Grow rooms/tents?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Trainwrecklove, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Looking for some advice on what i can set up in my garage for a small "mother" room? Are the new grow tents good? Or a waste of money? Just need something small and lightproof am i better off building something?

2. Do grow tents not work very well? Do they support 600w or 1000w lights and the ventilation needed for that? Are they really lightproof?

3. Yes, Grow tents work very well. Yes they will support lights, Yes they are light proof, yes they have openings for vents and cords. You get what you pay for. Get a cheap one and you'll probably have problems. Get a nice one, and you'll be golden.

4. This is correct. Expect to pay 100-200 depending on the size. HTG only has one size listed on their site, but their stores carry several.

5. i like growing in tents.. they stay neat and clean with all the wires hanging nicely.
    as others said.. most are pretty lightproof.. some need a little work on your part to fully lightproof them.

ive run a 1000w HPS in a 4x4 tent no problems at all... just make sure your venting well and you should be fine.

6. Thanks everyone for the input I spent a couple hours reading up on them. I will post pics when i get it and the set-up process. I truly enjoy Greners.com - Discounted Garden Supplies. Shop Smart. these guys are new i think but seem to have good prices and its nice to be able to get advice over the phone. I am still not sure on the brand, but i want a 4x4. Will I need an intake with that? Or just a good exhaust? I will be running a 1000w mh.

7. you'll be fine with just a good exhaust.. like a can fan or vortex 6" fan for 1000 watts.

make sure your tent has 6" holes and not 4"

8. Mine is a cheap one I got off eBay for like $80, it works great. I don't understand what problems you would run into. I have used this type of poly plastic in all my grow rooms and NEVER had a problem. Anything you read about off gassing is so over the top, they do, but so little it doesn't matter and wont hurt your plants at all.

9. I also have a question about tents. Are they relatively smell-proof?

10. #10 toilofday, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
    Not without proper carbon filters, fans, air scrubbers, odor neutralizers, ionizers, or ozone.
    (don't run ozone in doors without an exterior vent, it screws up your lungs, and is toxic)
    You need negative pressure in the tent to stop smell leaks. If no air can leak out except the descented air, will greatly if not completely remove smells.

Also don't grow in your garage. If you don't have great insulation (most don't) you'll blow like a Christmas tree with your heat signature. Grow indoors, in an interior room with a lock. If you rent, put it in a cabinet, and make sure you have no water lines running through the walls of that room just in case.

11. i have to say that the off gassing issue with hydro hut brand was a real problem.. man it took me months to figure it out. I couldn't get out of the seedling stage at all.. one day i grabbed one of the plants from the tent, threw it in a closet and it took off on me. As soon as i got rid of that tenty and used another brand.. my problems were behind me.

that being said.. any new tents that are out now don't have that problem.. it was definitely an issue that was resolved a while back.