Grow Room. Think I have a plan

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by polish ninja, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Okay. I've really been doing my home work on my grow room layout. Tell me if I have my head screwed on straight. First if all I'm looking at supplying 3 people with weed. All legal card holders including myself of course. Anyway..... Nothing is built just yet so I can change my plans. Here we go. I have a 6' x 6' area. Going to have a secret door going in. Pretty sweet. Once in the room it will be divided in half (wall with a pocket door) to give me two 3' x 6' areas. One for veg and one for flowering. Here's my equipment: Two 600w HID lights. One MH and one HPS (Digilux bulbs). One 5000 btu AC. De-humidifier. Activated Carbon Air Scrubber (360 cfm). Co2 system (bottle). The AC and scrubber will be in the flower room. The scrubber will exhaust into the veg room where the de-humidifier will be. I will have vents in the wall separating the two rooms positioned as to not have any bleed over light from one room to the other. The air will circulate through both rooms. I'm putting the de-humidifier in the veg room as to not take up all my space in the flower room. The entire space will be completely sealed up as well so this will be a closed system. I'm getting ready to start construction in about a month so I figured I'd throw this out and incorporate any suggestions. My main concern is will two 3 x 6 rooms be large enough to keep the three of us (possibly four) well supplied?

2. #2 jakesterjammin, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    Few things to keep in mind..

Why a "secret door" if it is a legal grow.. :confused:
    Waste of time and money IMO..

Make sure the pocket door will completely seal off ALL light, or light will be bleeding into the flowering room causing prolonged flowering and/or herrmies..

You know this only gives you 33w per sq foot... Right??
    Well under the suggested 50w per sq for HID lighting..
    It has been proven that the higher watts per sq ft you supply (within reason of course), the tighter buds and more yield you will get back..

Also, the one 600w lamp is (IMO) not going to reach out to the whole 6' width without a light mover, so the outer ends of the cab's plants will suffer..

That means you will be dumping the heat from the flower room to the veg room, making it hotter or harder to control the veg room temps..

I think that I know the thought process behind this, you think that because the A/C is in the flo room, you will be dumping cool air into the veg room to help control it's temp too...

Just remember that the flo room's exhaust is not going to come on until it hits the high side of the temp range, thus you're dumping its heat into the veg room...

This going to be hard to have a vent circulate enough air to ballance the temps in both rooms, but on the other hand, keep light out of the flower room.. IMO anyway..

I would think you want this the other way around because its has been said that the marijuana plant produces its resin glands to protect its flowers from pests and the environmental factors..

So to me, that means it will produce more resin glands if the environment is more aired or the plant(s) believe that its going to face a drought soon..

So IMO if the plants receive less humidity and less water(ings) within the last couple to a few weeks they will really turn up the resin production to combat the environmental factor..

You never said what grow system you will be using..
    Remember that the roots (below the medium) use O2, so if you're not supplying the roots with enough oxygen they will not absorb the nutrients as fast and also be very substantial to root rot because they will start dying off..

I would say increase the wattage per square foot and SCRoG, LST, or SOG..
    Personally I would use two 600w lamps for each chamber, this giving you 66w per sq ft, or 180000 lumens for standard HPS bulbs.. I think the MH bulbs only put out 60000 lumens, not 100% sure, you would have to check that out...

Good luck! :wave:

3. As far as the secret door. I just thought it was a pretty sweet idea. There's a bunch of family that I'd just rather they didn't know anything. They like to gossip. Out of sight out of mind....

As far as lighting goes. I didn't mention the light movers that I'm planning on getting..... I have a few friends locally that grow and flower in bigger spaces than I'm going to have and have big yields. I'm learning as I go so......

Planning On DWC. A few have pushed me towards soil but I have one friend who is going to hold my hand on the first grow.

The scrubber fan should be exchanging enough air between the room. 360 cfm means it will cycle through the rooms air 1.5 times a minute.

4. I agree you need more w per sqft. I'd just go with 2 1000w and still put them on movers. You'd thank yourself in the end!

5. I'd spend the extra few bucks and get two lamps, that way the plants are always receiving direct light, as opposed to indirect light waiting for the light to come back...

6. #6 nrgpill, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2011
    A 5000 btu AC unit is neither a split unit or dual hose, is it? If not, then the room is not "sealed" because the AC unit will intake air from your flower room and exhaust out (outside), so then the odor becomes an issue.

..... unless you have a window unit, but then it would not be a "secret" room.

7. It's a window unit. It will exhaust into my utility room in the basement behind the furnace. It won't be visible unless you go looking for it. No air from the room will be exchanged. Completely closed loop. Hoods will be cooled with outside air and vent back out. You can't easily hide an entire room unless you live in a mansion. Which I don't. All I can do is make it as inconspicuous as I can and keep it out of the "gossipers" in my family who don't need to know it exists.

8. Sounds good then. Have you had a chance to do a full dry run yet?

9. Not yet. Just finalizing my plans. I'll start construction in about a month. Have family coming in to town and they will be staying with us for awhile.