Grow room size?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Coop83, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Hey all am in the prcess of setting up my first grow room. I am considering a 400w hps light. Was just wondering what size room I should construct? I have a space around 4' square by 6' high. With excellent ventilation. Should I use all this space? If yes how many plants would you consider?

Many thanks in advance.

2. I don't see why you wouldn't use the whole space. The light may not be large enough to fully cover a 4 foot square, but you could run it vertical with plants on the outside of the room.

With vertical, you could probably do 3 plants on each side of the room, so around 10-12 plants.

3. I would advise 1 nice size, lollipopped plant under a single 400 hps.

4. consider a 600w light it would be perfect for that space.

mj

5. #5 Darth Clitflex, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
    first off, please know that this is my FIRST grow as well - I've spent a lot of time on grasscity reading threads and a decent amount of money (still less than $1k) trying to increase my chance of a good yield while I learn what I'm doing

not being experienced, I'd say you should plant at least 2 just in case one goes down the meat hole

I'm putting together a 4x4 grow area inside a 4x8 grow tent with a 400w apollo HPS and MH system
    [​IMG]

I plan on growing three plants to start (haven't got the seeds yet, but I'm going for fem seeds with great genetics to further my chances), and if they go well, I'll start 2 more germinating 2 months after the first batch is planted

after dozens of hours going over posts and threads here, I decided to add three 125w hydrofarm CFL lights for the vag stage and maybe leaving them on during flowering if it will help
    [​IMG]

if you grow 2 plants in there, it seems like it will more than pay for itself in both harvest and experience, and next time you do a grow I would guess you will add some equipment from what you've learned (as I certainly will too)

BTW - the 125w hydrofarm veg light kits were only $48.22 with free shipping from Amazon so that made it quite a bit easier to decide

good luck - put some pics up when you get everything put together

6. The 400w light will only cover 3 x 3 decently, and only 2 x 2 in its primary light range. I would either utilize 3 x 3 of space, or up the light to a 600w in the 4 x 4.

7. You would regret buying that POS. the ballast is in the hood,more heat to dissipate from the grow room. I would get this light or something similar.
    Amazon.com: Purple Apollo brand 600w Watt Digital Dimmable Ballast Hydroponic Grow Light System with Gull Wing Reflector and Metal Halide(MH) and High Pressure Sodium(HPS) Light Bulbs, Cord + Rope Ratchet Hanger: Patio, Lawn & Garden
    Upgrade to a vented hood if you can afford one now.:cool:
    mj:smoking:

8. Just out of curiosity why do you think I would regret buying it? I was going to fabricate my own vented hood for it.

9. Little bump

10. For a grow light it is better to have the ballast separate for reasons of heat. look at some of the grows here at GC you may find a light like that but the majority will be separate.
    If you plan on making a hood you can just get a socket and wire to attach to a separate ballast. Take a stroll through the lighting section here at GC.

mj

11. Get a 1000 hps and rock that 4x4! That's what I use and you won't regret it!

12. How much does running a 1000w affect your electricity bill?

13. LoL like a boss !

14. And instead of buying a 600w system (since thats what ull need for that amount of space)
    why not just buy a 2.5x5 tent for like 70$ on ebay and it will work perfect for 4 plants 1 on each corner at least that's what I do .

15. I run 3 of them and puts about $150 - $200 on my bill each month.

16. Subbed in. I run one 1000 mh/hps. It adds about 200 a month to veg at 18/6. I also run 6' fan for exhausting the heat thru an vented hood, a couple of humidifiers,2 oscillating two fans and my ac on in my appt to help lower the temps when it heats up over 80degrees. I also have the 125 watts CFL frm hydrofarm for seedings. My plants are doing 20x better under the 1000w. I'd say its worth it in the end.

17. Holy shit 200 for 1 light? Your hydro must cost out the ass!

18. I run 1k at 12/12 and a 6oo that's on 24/7 also some fans and an aero-cloner.It adds about $150 to my bill.

mj

19. #20 Czand, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
    I guess I depends where ur at. Ur looking at 150- 200 per month during veg depending how long ur light is on and where in the world and how much they charge per kilowatts where u are. My point is the light isn't the only calculation to add in. My ac to cool the room almost run just as much wit the as my light.(i use the appt ac system). However I live in the middle of the desert so judge accordingly.