Grow Room Setup

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by viperZ, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Hello everyone! Ive signed up on GC some time ago. I've done lots of reading and preparing and finally decided to take the leap! I have an 8'x8' room that i have constructed. I was hoping you could help me with a few questions! I plan on using 2 - 600 watt mh/hps combo lights to bathe approximately 20 plants. My first question is, is this good enough lighting? or am i wasting my time? I also plan on using a 6" inline fan & charcoal filter combo to exhaust the room. I was wondering what I could possibly use/do as an intake? should i filter the intake or is just a simple fan blowing fresh air into the room efficient? :rolleyes:

2. good start heres a couple things to think about;

- each plant should have 80-100 watts 1200/20 = 60 watts per plant, you might want to consider 2 x 1000 watts, or grow fewer plants

-Seal your grow room, you need a dedicated air intake (6'' is prime, 4'' tubing is too small) It is up to you if you need a pusher (inline) fan in the intake. I have a 240 CFM inline fan on my rooms intake because its over 25 feet.

- the way you vent your hoods is up to you.

-} some people, like me, pull the grow room air through a carbon scrubber, through the HPS to cool it, then out of the room... And our heat goes on to heat our house.

-} Other people prefer to bring in outside air to hook up to the HPS, and then vent that out of the room. basically the HPS would be on its own air. The advantage of this is you can have an unrestricted flow to keep your HPS cooler since you don't need to carbon scrub it. Also consider this option if your HPS gets too hot, outside air is almost always colder than air in your grow chamber.

- You also need to map your circuits, you dont want to put over 1300 watts on one circuit. if you get near that you start heating up the wires and when they get to hot you house will catch on fire. RESEARCH ELECTRICAL SAFTEY it is imperative to some peace of mind

here's how my room is set up

the outside air is pulled by a 240cfm fan through our old dryer vent (which i cleaned out) then into our grow room here.
    [​IMG]

which is controlled by this thermostat
    [​IMG]

then the air is sucked through my HID hood and then exits the room (soon there will be a carbon scrubber at the top of the room and the hood will pull through the scrubber.
    [​IMG]

on the outside of the room you can see where the air is pulled form the hood (above the door). to the right of the door you can see our intake system and a basic CO2 bin (which has since been replaced by a much better unit)
    [​IMG]

I also have a vent dumping cool outside air on top of our balast

so you need to figure out
    -how many plants you want to grow
    -your circuits
    -Where and how you plan on running and concealing your duct work

you need to get;
    -more fans
    -mylar
    -ducting and duct tape
    -smoke detectors (very loud ones)
    -fire extinguishers
    - osculating fan (x2) blowing on your babies all the time

DONT TELL ANYONE!!! about your grow, except for us :p

hope this helps

3. Hey, thanks for the reply! I have pretty much decided to go with 2 -600 watt bulbs, I will definately just decrease the number of plants! I have gotten the black and white mylar which i am using to seal the room completely with..should I use two intakes for both my lights and be done with it? or should i have a seperate intake as well for the entire room? I understand that the bulbs will get hot, is this going to be the most efficient way of cooling them? Looks like I have a bit more studying to do before I get goin!