Grow Room Setup Advice

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Buditch, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Hi

I am currently setting up a grow room and need some advice on how I should set it up without braking the bank.

Here is the equipment & some details

• I am growing in an attic; my floor growing space just for the plants is 16' Long x 5' wide by 5 to 7-1/2 feet high, because of the roof pitch. The rest of the floor space 3' x 16' is for walking to serve the masters.
    • The growing space will have a pond liner on the floor and framed up for over spill out the pots. The liner is black? Is that ok? Maybe that would help keep the roots a bit warmer. Advice on that? I could put in a white liner if need over the rubber one
    • I have installed 3 new isolated circuits 15 amps each. Standard home 120 wiring.
    • I also have an insulated attic so should not have too much heat loose.
    • The electronic ballasts don't put out much heat and are whisper quite in case someone has a noise concern. All you can hear is a small fan running.
    • I have chrome Mylar that I staple to the walls and ceiling.
    • I have four new 600 watt metal halide lights. One of these lights will be in a veg only room, the other 3 in the attic bloom running super hps horticulture bulbs. I will be growing up to my 15 plant, my legal limit being a new card holder.
    • I have 6 inch sealed vented hoods, and 6 inch insulated flex ducting for the exhaust air into my master bedroom that just happens to be right next to my room and easy to pipe the extra heat in.
    • I have one six inch charcoal filter that I will mount to a high output fan, the round ones that you mount the filter too 400 something foot per min). From that point the air will be pushed through the fixtures and eventually to the master bedroom for heat this winter
    • My pro-mix and amenities are mixed watered and resting for 7 to 14 day's as stated on the recipe. I was a bit surprised when I tested the known good organic soil mix. The mix was at 7 ph and the rest of the components were low level on my test kit. N.P.P. I think I will use the worm castings that I have and make a tea for the veg cycle and then switch to a blooming hormone. Once I soak my worm castings in water how long before I have to use it up? I don't want to add any molds or the such?
    • My masters are in cups at the time and I am not sure why but I used the standard seed starter mix that looks like fine peat. The same company that make those expandable peat pellets and peat pots. I had them under warm and cool white flows for the last 2 weeks or so. The true bottom leaves are starting to turn brown so I figured they need more nutrients than what the seed has to offer. I put 1 teaspoon of earthworm casting in the cups to see if that wont bring them around a bit. The root system is almost developed and they are ready to move into the bigger 7 gallon pots here in 7 or so days. I am skipping the 1 gallon pots this time because I had root problems at the edge of the pot and not many roots in the soil.
    • I need to buy some controls. I have the new inline fan and I have a spare cage fan off my old oil fired furnace. I used to use this with great results for heat control. Now though I not only want to control for heat but humidity as well, especially at night when the lights are out and the humidity raises. I am not too technical of a grower so don't really know what controls or brand of controls. I want the controls to be centrally located and some that really can keep a good say 78 temp during on hours and maybe 70 in the off hours. I don't think I want to mess with the C-02 at this time.
    • I do have a fresh air vent at floor level so that should be perfect for in coming air.
    • This is going to be a total organic grow.
    Well anyway, I think you can see about where I am at on this and maybe have some good suggestions that I need to know about.

Thanks in advance. Buditch :D

2. I miss the point of this thread.... you claim to be asking for help, but really you're just telling us the abundance of equipment you've gathered, and the great space you have to legally grow in. In terms of breaking the bank, sounds like you might have already done that so there's not much else to worry about. Am i a little jealous? hell yea, i have to sacrifice my bedroom in this shitty apartment to grow weed, but i'm that passionate about it so it's all worthwhile. Keep reading around the forums man, without any specifics noone is going to answer the questions you don't ask.

As for the ONE question you did ask.... (the black liner) ... i would try to avoid it. correct, black does absorb light (and in turn heat) and would keep the roots warm, but you're growing in a supposedly well-insulated attic so lack of heat definitely won't be an issue. the only time i would be concerned about keeping the roots warm is if you are growing directly on your basement slab, or of course cloning. some say you dont need it to clone, but it couldn't hurt.

anyway, the extra reflected light from a white liner will do you much more good than the root warmth from a black liner. better yet, build a bucket-height board/pieces of board with Mylar on the tops. construct it into a table-esque structure that sits at the same height as the top of your buckets... this way, no light at all will be getting down to the roots where it is absolutely not needed, and all your light stays reflected inside the grow zone.

3. Well the last thing i would do is try to brag or anything about my grow setup. Im sure this is a standard setup and most here on this post could put me to shame.

The reason for the post is so that people would understand what i am setting up so to give them a sugestion of the controls that i should buy for humidity and temp, also for any other errors they may see in my setup. I just didnt want to spend $200.00 on a fancy controler that i dont need. Buditch:D