Grow Room Questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Face, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I am currently setting up my closet to become my first grow room. It is 6' x 8'. I plan to only grow a maximum of 4 plants (2 being the norm) for now, and increasing as I get more experience growing. I'll tell you what I have planned, and then ask some questions.

Setup:

- 6-outlet power strip
    - 7-day digital timer for lighting
    - 2 oscillating fans - One flowing air towards plant direction, and the other up higher for circulation
    - Air intake provided by home AC vent
    - Humidity/Temp Sensors for top/middle/ground level
    - See question about exhaust/odor control below
    - 2 wing reflectors hung horizontally with the plants
    - 4 125W CFLs (2 2700K bulbs & 2 6500K bulbs)
    - Humidifier (Not sure on which one yet)

Questions:

- I cannot start making changes to the house in the situation I'm in, so an exhaust vent is an issue. With 2 plants, averaging about 2.5' tall, is an exhaust vent high on the list of needs for that area (384 cubic feet)? Would opening the closet door every now and then suffice?
    - This kind of goes along with my first question. If I were to have an exhaust vent, I would just use a carbon filter on it. However, I will not have an exhaust vent. What would be the best way to handle odor in my situation?

Thanks for reading. Suggestions are very welcome. Hope to hear some answers soon.

2. So, I looked around a bit more and came across something called ONA. Could one or two of those in the closet manage the odor from a couple of plants? What about an air purifier with a carbon filter? Suggestions/answers are still very welcome. Also, bump.

3. you need to worry about the smell the most, 4 plants will smell throughout your entire house, and into the vents if you live in an apartment or with roommates. you need an exhaust. one fan in, one fan out....

4. #4 Face, Jan 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
    Thanks for your reply. I'm sure you mean well, but that's something I already know. It's ideal to have exhaust. You have any feedback for something like an air purifier with a carbon filter? Say right outside the door of the grow room? I figure it'd make more sense to put it in the room with the closet rather than the closet itself.

EDIT: I thought of something else just now. A box fan facing out of the window in the room with the closet. It would create negative pressure in the entire room, correct?

5. Bump. Any thoughts?

6. I face similar issues but in the end I just had to cut a hole in the ceiling and put in an exhaust and carbon filter.

The exhaust is a must, along with the intake. You have to have fresh air replacing the old rapidly so your plants can grow otherwise you will have issues such as mould and poor yield