Grow Room Plans with Picture of Layout

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by UpInVapor, Feb 22, 2010.

1. I have decided to build a grow box and put it in a closet in my spare bedroom. The closet is 5' (Deep) x 4.5' (Wide) x 9' (Tall). The box I am putting in will have 2 sides with 3 chambers. The box will be 3.5' (Deep) x 4.5' (Wide) x 6' (Tall). I am going to make two main chambers, one for veg (3.5' Deep x 1.5' Wide x 6' Tall) and one for flowering (3.5' Deep x 3' Wide x 6' Tall). The veg chamber will be two smaller chambers, one being up top for clones 1.5' Wide x 2' Tall. The bottom part of that chamber will be for mothers and will be 1.5' Wide x 4' Tall. I want to end up flowering like 3-4 plants at a time. I am planning to use a passive intake active exhaust for ventilation with an inline duct fan like Inductor 6 In. In-Line Duct Booster Fan - DB206 at The Home Depot used for the exhaust. I just need to figure out how to wire that fan so I can just plug it into an outlet. I am planning to build the box out of wood using thin particle board or similar for the walls and lining it with mylar sheeting. I am growing Joey Weed Blueberry and Cindy 99 x AK47.

Here is the layout:
    Box Plans.JPG

What does everyone think? Any ideas? Suggestions?

2. looks like you have things well planned out. 1 question, what ventilation/air circ. are the clones and veg. rooms getting? are they just open to the rest of the closet?

3. Thanks. Since I will only be using CFLs in the mother and clone chambers, will I need a fan for each or will passive intake/exhaust work? I was thinking if I need at least one fan for that side I could run a small passive intake in both the mothers and clones area then for exhaust run duct from the mother chamber and the meet it with duct from clones room in a Y splitter which connects to one of those 4" or 6" duct fans from HTG Supply and let that pull the air from both chambers and then out of that side of the box instead of having to use two fans for that side? Or since they are so cheap I could just use a 4" for the mothers and another 4" for the clones. Or maybe a PC Fan? The thing about PC Fans is I do not want to have to wire anything. The reason I like these fans is they have a plug that can go right in the outlet, for a PC Fan, I would have to wire it to a plug, and then I would be worried about fire issues, etc.

4. I iike the design. It's very similar to the full plywood box I'm designing.
    Maybe use some 4" axial AC fans for the veg exhausts? Some of those buggers are really loud though. PC fans are REALLY simple to wire up; they're prolly what I'll be using in my veg side cabs.

I'd also suggest using more than the home depot duct booster for ventilation although that kinda depends on how you want to set this up. If you're not going to cool the 400w with a ventilated hood it's going to make things a bit more toasty in there. Do you plan on doing some sort of odor control?

I'm going to paint one of these white and use it for air circ in the flowering side. You can find them for $20 elsewhere on amazon.

5. #5 paint_u_dgt, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
    I think you design is good and ideas are sound just missingn a few vitals to make a great box.

Like inphu510n said the 6" Inline booster is not going to be able to pull enough air to vent the whole box even with CFL's. Remember every 90 degree bend in ducting is equal to 4' of extra ducting and ducting reduces airflow. So do Carbon scrubbers and air filters. Your gonna need a bigger fan such as the one below. I use it personally and can attest to its effectivness in a relativly similar grow space. It also comes with the carbon scrubber which is the most effective way of neutralizing odor. Airflow is like weed always better to have to much rather than not enough.

High Tech Garden Supply

If your set on using CFL's then roll with it get as many as possible in there. If your flexible then go with a 400w or 600w HPS for flower your yield will be 2x larger and more potent. I included a link to a really nice ballast and air cool-able hood below.

High Tech Garden Supply

You can get away with minimal ventilation in your clone room as you will be opening the humidome often enough to circulate the air. Plus, airflow lowers humidity which is what you want in a clone chamber.

I would also recommend locking rollers on the bottom of the cab so you can move it easily this also serves to raise the box off of the cold ground.

GL -paint-

6. I am going to definitely do odor control. Will be using some of that ONA odor stuff, have a oscillating ion air purifier that I will setup outside the box. The box will be going in a closet in a spare bedroom. So I can sit the fan right outside the box in the closet if need be. I also have a cheap box fan and a carbon hvac air filter I was going to attach to the back of it to help scrub the air in the spare bedroom from the grow box exhaust since I will just be exhausting into the room from the box. I am not worried about odor yet as I have other ideas too, right now I am focused on the frame.

I like the fan link you sent for the axial fan. That same site had power cords for those fans: Dayton Blowers: REPLACEMENT 6' POWER CORD FOR AXIAL FAN [736913] - Fans, Blowers & Ducting - Environmental Control - Discount Specialty Farm, Greenhouse & Garden Supply Store - Horticulture Source . The only reason I had not planned to do PC fans was the power cord for them as I read that while it is easy to wire something like an old car charger cord to a PC fan that running it using that cord for long periods of time is not safe. Think a power supply like in that link would do the trick? If so, I could probably get a way with using a 6" PC fan to vent the mother chamber and a 4" PC fan to vent the clone chamber and was going to use 2 of the 6" Duct Fans( High Tech Garden Supply ) to exhaust the flower chamber with passive intakes on all 3 chambers. What do you think?

7. I love HorticultureSource but I hate their website. Worst product listing/searching function since 1994.

I think you're right on with the veg cabs. They don't need a huge amount of airflow because there's not a lot of heat with cfl tubes and the space is quite a bit smaller. The fan I linked to is probably way loud and exchanges more air than you'll need. The axial AC fans I've seen on "horticulture" supply sites are all that way; just too much. That's why I'm planning on going with DC fans.

I'm not sure I grasped what you were saying about the 6" PC fan in the flowering cab. Was that for intake or exhaust?

The issue with duct boosters is that they can't hold up the air pressure. They may be rated for 250cfm of airflow but the design and power simply can't push/pull much air. I'm struggling with a similar design issue myself. Use a single powerful centrifugal fan to do all of my cab venting or a smaller centrifugal for the light hood and a duct booster for the exhaust/filtration.
    I'm skeptical about the ability of the duct booster to push much air through a filter.

Also, about your other thread, yes it's a very, very good idea to vent a 400w HPS. Especially since it's in an enclosed space (think fire hazard) the heat will build up and you'll need extra ventilation to deal with that. It's just all around safer to vent the light hood. A duct booster won't do it though because the 6" ducting will have several bends in it as you move the lamp up and down throughout growing cycles.

8. Basically what were saying is that the booster fans just will not work I've tried em he's tried em' they dont work for the application we need them for.

The odor thing is going to be a problem in the near future. Vegetating plants stink to so you need a solution before it becomes a problem. You really need to consider a carbon filter cause ONA really doesn't work that well for weed. Works for dirty laundry and trash odors but not for growing marijuana.

Inline fans are the way to go they come pre-wired, one fan can pull enough air to neutralize odor, vent heat from an HPS, and provide enough circulation to control humidity and ambient temperature. It really is the only way to go. A wise man once said "You go cheap, you grow cheap."

9. the only thing i would sudjest is make sure your fan will coreate a negitive pressure in your grow box. pulling in fresh air. that way no stank will get out.

i use a mountain air carbon filter she is good for 3 years. and i kaulked all my joints in my box to make it light tight and air tight.

your light might be very hot too in such a small place i know my 600w hps is very hot i use a cool tube. it makes all the difference.

in your space you should grow it scrog style. you get more bud for your space. just don't make my mistake and let them grow too much above the screen.

good luck