Grow Room Cooling help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by funkymonkey, May 13, 2009.

1. My grow room is a large closet about 5' x 7' but is not connected indoors to other parts of the house; you have to go outside and come through a door to get to it. In addition, it is not air conditioned. In the winter, this was no problem, with the help of a small portable heater. But where I live, it gets humid and hot in the summer with highs up to 105 degrees in july and august. I need to come up with some sort of cooling solution. I can control the humidity with the help of a dehumidifier, but I flower with two 150watt HPS fixtures, and the heat produced by these in addition to the already hot conditions make it a no go for a grow in the summer without some sort of cooling solution.

So I am asking for suggestions on how to cool my grow closet without causing suspicion of the neighbors, and without noisey devices..... I was thinking maybe tapping into the central cooling system and putting a small duct to my closet via the attic, but not sure about cutting through the ceeling. Anyone know of cooling devices that can cool a small room without much noise output?

2. if you can find them use Swamp coolers. they raisse humidity tho so not much use for you. best move into the cool concrete basement.

3. Has anyone ever used a portable air conditioner in their grow room? I use a window unit to cool my personal room, and know that the window unit is loud, but was wondering if the portable ones were as loud....because i was thinking about putting the exhaust in the attic so that there were no visible holes in or around my grow room.....and didn't really want a air conditioner humming loudly either, lol.