Grow Room Build

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Q508, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Well here we go decided to pull down the tent awhile ago and build a solid structure in my garage some nice insulated walls and AC to keep the room at temps needed. First off I’m no carpenter but we shall see how this comes along. Any advice is always welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got the four walls up and ready to be mourned together
    [​IMG]
    Some mother plants that had to move while construction is under way

• Like Like x 3
  2. Very nice, tagging along to see how it turns out.

The plan is one big room? Two Chambers? Three?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Just a tip, throw some poly under the bottom plate and staple it in place before you throw the walls up. Concrete and wood aren’t the best long term friends

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Doing anything else? I would consider a floor drain and a sink with hot and cold water.
    Electric outlets on the walls nice and high. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. It’ll be two room a veg/clone room with some shelving and the flower room veg will be about 4x8ft and the flower will be 6x8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stupid question but what’s poly?

7. I got the electricity already in the garage and they run off their own box so I just gotta extend the wiring into the room. I’d love a sink in there I never thought of putting one in there but it makes sense no more trips in and out of the house for water this project is really gonna put my DIY handyman skills to the test lol

8. 3mil poly is kind of like construction Saran Wrap haha it’s used as a vapour barrier, short for polypropylene. But you need a barrier between the wood and concrete to protect from condensation on the concrete. You could also use a product like blue skin and just wrap it.
    I wouldn’t worry about a drain, your garage is graded to deal with water.
    Do you plan on giving it a ceiling? I would want something tying it all together unless you plan to anchor to the garage wall.
    Looks like a fun project!

9. You should be careful using plastic between wood and concrete. It could act as a moisture barrier and eventually mold in wood. Isopore/ styrofoam is plastic plates that work well for that purpose i think

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. That is exactly the point. Concrete floors in garages and basements are cooler than the air around them, causing condensation, that’s why it’s code in all the municipalities I’ve known to place a barrier between wood and concrete. The wood absorbs this moisture causing the wood to rot and decay in years, whereas using a vapour barrier between the wood and concrete protects it from this process, making your structure last decades. This is standard practice in modern home construction.

• Like Like x 3
  11. #11 CO BlueGreen, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  12. There will be a ceiling I’m going to insulate the whole thing

13. Not to much to add here connected everything put up the middle wall frame next steps build the walls insulate add flooring and start setting up all the electricity. Although I got to make a plan for the ventilation how to pump fresh air through everything maybe later on it’ll be a sealed environment

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And my helpers who watched it all I do need to find that poly for underneath the framing still I really messed that step up haha

• Like Like x 4
  14. Love the space you made!! With that space above the rooms you can run the ductwork out from the top to wherever you want.
    Mayberry can add blocking for a future a/c box if needed within one of those walls.

15. That’s the plan is to add A/C it gets how where I am the vents out are already installed you can see them in the first picture

16. Quick update got the walls and ceiling installed next up will be doors and the front wall it’s all coming together slowly but surely and a pic of the kittens who have to be right next to me the whole time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  17. Looking forward to see this full with plants

18. Well got all the walls and ceiling up doors installed I’m not as happy with the front as I’d like to be but it works and no light leaks sealed up all the openings to next up the epoxy and seal the floor and start running electricity and make the vent holes and ducting

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Those doors a fit for you to get through? Looks a bit smaller than usual

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1