Grow Pot Sizes...

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by jac86, Jun 1, 2014.

1. What's the smallest pot size you can get away with using outdoors so you wouldn't have to water so often? What's recommended for a patio grow? Thanks for viewing.

2. I think it all depends on how tall you want them to be. Personally I like to go with 10 litre pots (2 and a bit gallons?) Which, if you have a nice healthy plant should grow to about 2 foot, maybe a bit taller.

I have heard that you should start in the pots you want your plants to finish in, but then I also hear that you should start small and make your way up. I think it's just personal preference on what YOU want to do. Last year I started small then gradually increased pot size, but this year I started in my final pots and I swear my plants are growing much bigger so would personally recommend that! 

3. Thanks man.. I can't go over 6 feet in length.. I have 3 gallon pots right now and they seem to be drying out too quickly. I'm thinking anywhere between 15 to 25 gallon pots should work out..

4. 5 gallons is way too small for outdoors. It will outgrow the pot and need watering twice a day.my smallest pots outside are 20 g SmartPots. Even those are small but I only have 3 and he rest are 45,65 and in 100 +/- in ground holes. The bigger the pot the greater the yield.

5. I can tell you if you use 20+ gal pots they will easily get bigger than 6ft especially if you have sativa hybrids. I would say ten gallons is good, i have grown in 10gal pots and yeild anywhere from 4-8oz a plant depending on strain. I prefer 20 gal pots going any bigger is too much hauling soil i grow guerilla style.

6. Totally agree with Marijuana Guru and Boggieman, the larger the pot the larger the yield. It really depends on whether you want your plants to reach there maximum yield. With a 5-10 gallon pot it would be difficult to get a pound of dry bud. With a 200 gallon smart pot you could get well over a pound of dry bud from the same strain. And sorry but two gallons for outdoors is way too small. You will be lucky if you pull a few ounces off that. Bigger pots are difficult to move and a hassle at the start, but in the end you definately wont regret it. If its a sativa dominant I would go with atleast 30 gallons and if Indica dominant atleast 20 gallons. Good luck with your grow!

7. Thanks for the advice guys appreciated. I think I will go with the 20 gal and test my limits..

8. #8 Kronicly Insane, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
    Make sure to fill the pots up to about an 1/2 inch from the top. I have seen to many people half fill to 3/4 fill their pots and not take full advantage of the pot. It will only result in less watering and bigger plants.

9. If your worried about hight, look into LST (Low stress training)

10. i like to use a hill, theres unlimited medium for it there :hello: try it.

11. There is a limited amount of hills in my area..

12. well on planter size i would use no less than a 7.5 gal in or out ...

I have a 6 foot plant in a 5 gallon bucket and its not enough.  Im going to go for 25 gallon at least as its going to be a very big plant.

14. I have some of my plants in 20 gallon pots and I am regretting using that size already. I started them indoors at the very start of april and brought them out at the start of may. Two of them are taller than I am now and I am 5 foot 10. The tallest one is a strain called Mexican Sativa which is not very bushy but isntead is just extremely tall. If you have lots of space and security, put them in 50 gallon pots as a minimum! I sure wish I did.

15. Small pots and less watering is almost like a oxymoron. The see the pot the more multiple watering it will need. I can water my 100gal every 3rd day. My 10 gal I have to do 3x a day. Time to decide.

16. May I ask how much you water your 10 gal? Cause I have a couple in 5 gal ready for transplant that I water every 1 1/2 to 2 days.. I water till I see about 10 % run off out the drainage holes. They're about 3 ft with extensive healthy roots..

17. I forgot to mention that I as m in central cal where it is hot as shit..

18. I live in nor cal where it was 99 today and 105 this weekend. I just water till I can see that the whole pot is soaked. I am applying a good top mulch to hold the water in so I can water ever other day.

19. Damn right its gonna be hot this weekend! I was told by experts that's it's a good rule of thumb to water till 10 percent run off.. idk I may be under watering..

20. 10% run off. Fuck that. Soak them.