grow lights, how many?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mx_ell, Feb 22, 2007.

1. i was looking at seeds today and couldnt decide which ones to get so i figured id get a varity, in total it came to 50 seeds with 5 different variaties. i want to grow these in the loft but am not sure how many lights and what power lights i need, my main concern is the amount of power they will use, i am worried not only about the bill but the suspicion it may raise with the power supplier. how many lights could i get away with and how many plants will i be able to grow? any help would be most appriciated.

2. i feel your pain and am also searching for this awnser

3. well how much space you got to use, how much money u plannin on spendin, your best bet is to use bagseed and try to grow a successful one than gettin some premo and makin mistakes and worst it dies on you from things you didnt plan on happenin get some grows under your belt before you head to the seedbank no point in wastin money

4. When deciding to grow for the first time a "seed bank' is not the first stop you should be making.
    I've been researching for about 5 years now and i'm still learning new stuff...

First of all the space.
    Once you have decided on a space, that will determine the amount of plants you can grow in there.
    Once you have determined the amount of plants you can grow, then you can get the necessary lights to grow those plants.
    Since you are concerned about the power spike on the electricity bill, i recommend that you use CFL lights or fluro's.
    A decent HPS/MH light will be noticable on a bill.
    I'm guessing you are living with people or parents who you don't want to know about it.
    So you will have to consentrate on keeping it stealth.
    You will also need to Vent the space you are growing in. This may mean knocking a hole or two for a extraction fan.
    I recommend you look up the grow journals, and find a grow that will resemble what you want to achieve.
    Do lots of drawings of what you want to do. Have a good read and a real good think about how you are going to set it all up.
    Good lUck , and feel free to hit me up for advice or anyone else for that matter.
    Cheers:wave:

5. i live with a mate in a two bed house and i have the whole attic to use to grow in, so i guess 300 sqaure feet, i am worried about causing suspision with the electric bill, would i be able to grow all 50 plants in there? and how many lights am i talking, and any suggestions, i guess i have 1000-2000 quid to play with but obviously the less i spend the better!

6. If it's your first grow focus on 3-5 plants to start. If you do well with those then move on to putting all your eggs in one basket. From what I've gathered here at the forums typically you want 100w for the first plant with 30-50 per additional plant....BUT more wattage is always better.

You should really check out Kamel's CFL guide, great guide and the primary reference for my CFL grow which will get under way shortly. You should also check out Grandpa's guide, very informative and helpful.

Everything depends on what you want. You grow 50 plants at once,....well then yeah....you bill is gonna spike cuz you're gonna need a whole lotta light to cover the entire area. CFL's are more energy efficient but HPS and MH both offer more to your plants.

Then you have ventilation, drainage (hyrdro grow), soil, ferts, mylar or paint...there really is alot of stuff.

I'd recommend checking the Beginner's forums and the Indoor Growing forums Sticky's and guides. Take a gander at the Grow Journals forums also to see what methodologies were used and then compare them to you budget and expectations.