grow help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by drg755, Feb 16, 2007.

1. i started my plants about 4 weeks ago. i currently have 5 in my closet. i am using 2 65w walmart plant sho and gro bulbs. i know they are not good to use but any ways 4 of them seem to be doing good the tallest being @2 1/2 foot the rest close to it and another that is about half that size (all planteed at the same time) i wanted to know money being an issue what kind of bulbs i need to get i have heard of the cfls at like home depot if i were to use these how many watts would be needed (minimum) and if they would work for the whole cycle. also when shouod i start trimming it seems like there is a lot of gap between each set of leaves. i was also told by a friend that the way to sex your plants is not the balls and hairs method but to pay attention to the bottom leaves ans the ones that cross like an x are female the others are not is this true? how long does it take to determine sex? and how tall should an indoor plant be i am worried that they are growing to tall and not wide enough i have also had my lights runing 24hrs since the start when should i change to less light sorry for asking so much but this is my first attempt at growing and not sure what to do unfirtunatly not able to post pics any help will be appreitated

2. Those plants must be stretched. If you can find em, I'd get wal mart's 65w compact fluorescent security spotlight, probly like 5 of em. 5 plants need a lot of light my friend, 4 week old plants shouldn't be that tall. You're gonna want something like 400 total watts if you go CFL, and that's actual wattage, not incandescent equivalent. Good news is you can kill the boys, and won't have to light them, so you won't need as much. I don't know what your friend is talking about with leaves telling sex, once you put them in 12/12 lighting they will either grow white hairs or balls, and you'll know then. If you're running out of vertical hieght, i'd flower now because they will double in size during flowering. Good luck.

3. Your plants are not doing well, they are starving for light as evidenced by the large internodal space you describe and no surprise given the bulbs you are using. Get a MH/HPS combo or else lots of wattage CFLs. When you ask about the minimum wattage lighting you are asking the wrong question -- minimum lighting will not generate a yield worth the effort.

Criss-crossing leaves to tell sex? No.