Grow cabinet Ventilation Set up

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by athensman, Mar 13, 2011.

1. #1 athensman, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2011
    Okay, so the diagram is not the literal way i would have it set-up. My paint skills are just really lacking. (read as "no, the carbon filter isn't going right below the light") But this is the general setup idea i was thinking about. The box is 2 feet deep. i just couldnt draw 3d. So total dimensions are 2'x4'x8'

Wanted to know:
    1. What you thought of the set up as a whole
    2. what you thought about the size of the carbon filter.
    3. What is the minimum fan size i would need, and what'd be the most preferable

Attached Files:

2. #2 RO76, Mar 13, 2011
    Not the best set up but it should work.... Speaking of CFMs make sure that your Carbon filter can be large enough to let those CF of Air to pass trough . To calculate CFMs you have to do this 4x4x8=128 CFM this is how strong your fan should be, but there will be some resistance in your ducts and reflector, so you should probably go slightly higher , lets say around 170-200 cfm. So now look for the carbon filter 6" which can let at least 170 (+/- 20 CFMs probably not big deal, and look for a 6" inline fan with same amount of CFMs (6"inline fans are usually have higher CFM around 350-450).
    P.S.If your cool tube is only 4" in diameter then you can go with 4" 150-170 cfm Inline fan and 150-170 CFM 4" carbon filter.

3. #3 athensman, Mar 13, 2011

Okay thanks for the tips. You said it wasn't the best set-up. Could you give me any pointers on how to make it better? I'm willing to change/spend more money or whatever, I just don't know have the know how on what to do.

I had originally planned on having one fan exclusively for the cool tube and another for the carbon filter slash grow room filtration. Then I read about people doing it all in one go, so I gave that design a go. here is my original version. Better, worse, neither? Do those fans look big enough? (or overkill if thats the rare case).

Attached Files:

4. #4 RO76, Mar 13, 2011
    I like that. You can probably go with 4" inline fan and 4" carbon filter.(your grow room has 128 cubic feet of air so any 150 CFM 4" inline fan will exchange the entire air in your grow area with in less than 60 seconds. If you go with 6" 350-450 CFM inline fan/filter then your grow room will be totally ventilated with in 20 seconds, which is nice too...
    You can look on my SJ setup(link in my signature)I have 4" 170 CFM inline fan/filter to ventilate the grow room and 6" 450 CFM inline fan to cool down my reflector.
    P.S.Usually people use less powerful or equal fan size/power to ventilate small grow area grow area.