Grow Cabinet and heat issues

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by rzo, Aug 15, 2012.

1. I'm putting together a grow cabinet out of an old fridge that has been converted into a shelving unit. Dimensions are as follows:

4 feet high, 2.5 feet wide and just over 2 feet deep.

Nearly all the equipment I have is hand-me-down. I have a Stanley blower rigged for exhaust, passive intake, a 6 inch fan rigged for circulation and another larger and more powerful black rotor style fan that can also mount for circulation or cooling if need be.

My goal is two plants scrogged to maximize yield.

I originally tried a 400 mh but temps went well over 100 in tests. I figure that because it is in my garage and temps have been so high that this light probably won't work. However, I'm thinking about using my second fan to air cool the light and may test that again today.

In the meanwhile, I've setup CFL's and have been testing them with passive intake, exhaust, and one fan. I've got 10 26 watt bulbs. Temps in the cabinet seem comfortable, but the temps at 3 or 4 inches under the CFLs are really hot at over 100. I thought these bulbs weren't supposed to give off much heat.

Any help or ideas? The cabinet is in a room in my shop that heats up in the summer and cools down in the winter. Could it be that the hot summer temps are the main culprit of my heat problems?

Any help/ideas really appreciated!

2. What's the temperature outside of the grow space? If you're pulling in hot air, it won't be magically cooled coming in.

3. Yeah, daytime temps are in the 90s right now. Figure I probably just need to wait until the fall for cooler temps.