grow cab questions

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by triedntrue, May 29, 2010.

1. Im building a 4x8 wooden cabinet, and inside that I plan on building a grow box. I want to grow one plant in a DWC bucket and SCROG.

How much area should a grow like that take up? Im hoping 2'x2'x3' will be adequate, but I am not positive.

I am also unsure about lighting. Will two of these bulbs be adequate for one plant? What kind of socket can I use to power them both and mount them nicely? I have been searching for a few days for a socket I like but am not having much luck.

Amazon.com: Feliz 125 Watt CFL Grow Light 6500K: Patio, Lawn & Garden

The main thing slowing me down right now is ventilation problems. since my grow box is inside a wooden cabinent, I cant quite figure out the perfect way to circulate air. I need carbon scrubbers, so space for the exhaust and intake is an issue as well. Would I be ok with a 4" 60CFM fan blowing out the top for exhaust, and a smaller 2" fan as the intake at the bottom? Will heat be an issue for me with those lights?

Any help or links to similar builds is much appreciated, I will gladly +rep helpful people:hello:

2. 2x2 would work but you gotta go taller. the bucket will be at least 12" and the light will take up the top 4-8", and you have to think about distance between plant and the light. CFL would be a good solution to that problem due to the low heat and ability to keep them about an inch off the top of the plant.. as for ventilation you dont REALLY need an intake fan just a hole, but that only applies if you have adequate negative pressure in the grow space so none of that stanky air gets out. i would go with a homemade carbon scrubber. (coffee can, chicken wire, panty hose and ativated carbon) and one of those 4" econo line fans. if you dont wanna go with the econo line they have those huge computer fans but im not sure how many CFM they pull or if they could pull through a carbon filter.

3. Thanks Bham, I think I will be able to go taller but im not sure how much. I do have an idea though that should solve my height issue.

does anyone have a suggestion about my lights? I want one 2700k and one 5500k (whatever the correct veg/flowering lights are). I still cannot locate a socket for the both of them, could anyone point me towards one?

4. a good hardware supply store should have a mogul socket setup. they also make adapters from regular to mogul, they have those at home depot.

5. So I think I want to run 2 CFL bulbs from a nice small fixture. The two bulbs I want to run are:

(6500k 125 watt)

Amazon.com: Feliz 125 Watt CFL Grow Light 6500K: Home & Garden

and

(2700k 125watt)

Amazon.com: Feliz 125 Watt CFL Grow Light 2700K: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Would both of those lights be sufficient for one plant? I am still very confused on what kind of socket or fixture I could run both of those off.

Finally, would it be best for me to run both lights throughout veg and flower, or should I seperate them? Im not sure if more watts and lumens or proper color spectrum is more important.

6. oh both of those lights on the plant at the same time would be plenty for one plant. the more light the better and those bulbs will do the job fine. mixing light spectrums works just fine.