Grow Box

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by chiozan, Dec 1, 2011.

1. 4 x 6 x 4 98 cu feet but yeah I hear ya on double. I am just gunna buy a carbon filter combo kit for it 198 CFM fan on it. Cheaper then building a DIY CF and should give me plenty exhaust.

2. Dont get one of the cheap booster fans. They dont move enough air. In the home depot \ lowes booster fans the cfm rating is unloaded. Once you add filters and duct work you will be lucky if they move 1/2 the air they are rated at. The larger inline fans are rated loaded, so they move closer to the cfms they are actually rated for. My first grow I started with one of the booster fans with no filter. Adding a 6" inline from htg with a filter dropped my temps tremendously

3. I actually had to redesign my box I could not get the heat down. Not sure what the problem was but it just wouldn't drop. I now have a 2.5' by 4.5' by 6' box temps down to 83* and looks good. I like the new design better too a lot easier to work on the plants. Still have to order my carbon filter and am ordering seeds today =). Should have my new carbon filter and fan combo within a week or so and temps should drop down in the 70's. So I fixed the heating problem. Will post picts of the new grow room as soon as I get pictures.

4. #44 chiozan, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    Ok here we go like

This is 2 hours of light running with current fan settup
    [​IMG]

Opening of the box with hinges and a latch
    [​IMG]

Light bars I took off the reflectors so I can share the light between the 2 lights. Also I am thinking about adding 1 more light bar in the middle there. What do you think?
    [​IMG]

This is what I had left over from my previous box but, I plan on outfitting this box with over-charged T8 bulbs. Will be an 8bulb fixture. But this will do for now.

5. I'm glad to see you're working out the issues before the plants are in & not after like so many others. First off it looks better, much better. This is where details matter, so if you don't mind I'd like to ask a few detailed questions. When you took the 77 deg. temp. what were the conditions ? Door closed, latest fan on, I'm assuming yes. But there's 2 things that will matter here. How far from the lights was the meter ? You need to place it about 3" from the bulbs. This is where the plants will be, lay it flat so you get an accurate reading. Even though these are CFL's they still give off heat, just put your hand an inch away to see. When the CF is connected it may cut down on the flow of air being exhausted from the chamber. If it does then the circulation will be reduced & heat will increase. Bear in mind also every 90 deg. turn your 4" tubing makes will also cut down on flow. Keep tubing to a minimum. You may not want to hear it but I'm thinking 2 large fans in / 2 fans out w/ CF's. Walls look good but you need a way to seal your doors. T8 bulbs ? Have you looked at T5's ? Good luck & keep up the good work. Tell me how the CF works.

6. Ok to answer your questions CJ. The 77* was taking with current exhaust fan settup it was 2 hours in the box with the door closed. I left it on all night and the next morning it staballized at 83*. I still plan on getting the carbon filter/fan combo kit just can't afford it atm. I am getting a new fan tomorrow when that happend I will retest the heat issue again with the thermo 3" from the bulbs. As far as the 90* turns in the air inlet and outlet's there will be none. In the one pict it shows it bent but i changed that the next morning. Door sealing will be done before I get the plants started. As far as
    t8's vs t5's here is the deal with that. I can only fit an 8 tube bulb settup in there. Now T5's HO bulbs are 54 watt each producing 92.6 lumens per watt for a grand total of 40,003 lumens for 8 bulbs. T5 8 bulb fixture will run me $200 and of course the bulbs. T8 fixture run $10.47 each at walmart. I need 8 to make 4 overcharged fixtures. T8 bulbs will be running in 64 watt at roughly right around 155.75 lumens per watt. So the lumen output of an 8 bulb overcharged settup would be 79,744 lumens. Only cost me roughly $90 to build and then of course buy lights. And as you all know more lumens = denser nugs. I have done a lot of research on this and overcharged t8's better in tight quarters. Will produce more heat then the T5's of course but shouldn't be overly dramatic.

7. Ok, you're on the right track. I've just never heard the term Overcharged in relation to fluorescent tubes before. If you mean using HO bulbs in a standard fixture I should think they need a different ballast that's why they're more expensive. Better research makes better buds. Keep it up.

8. #48 chiozan, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
    My son wanted to do a science project and this is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

It's to show how different amounts of light effect the growth of plants =)

Simple cardboard box some aluminium foil duct tape and 2 x $1.47 extension cords 2 light bulbs.
    This could also be used as a design for a small discreet grow box too i bet if you add a small computer fan and 1 more light on each side.

9. so your growing weed for your kids school project?

10. No lol he is growing dandelions. AKA Flowers

11. Hey CJ this is how you overdrive a t8

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJncJmkQPtM]How To Build A Super Charged Fluorescent Grow Light By Overdriving - YouTube[/ame]

12. Awesome ! Perfect timing too. I've got another project going where I can use this. I'm growing tomatoes indoors from seed. Nice kid's project also.

13. Glad I could help bro. Its a good little settup. I suggest going to walmart to get ur lights. I called and they said I had to order them. Went there a couple hours later to grab some soda figured I would swing by see what they had and there was abou 10 of the ones I called about stting right there. Lol some peoples kids I swear.

14. I kno what you mean. Then again WM has so many products & so poorly trained staff I guess we can't expect much. Hows the temp in your box these days ?

15. My beans are in the mail so not really sure atm what the heat is. I know I will need to buy a CF though just been putting it off as long as possible. Hopefully should get my beans by friday, but we'll see.

16. op this is awesome man im subbed. cant wait to see some ladies in there :hello:

17. #57 chiozan, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
    Got my infants in the mail yesterday.
    Starting off with the Jack and a Chemdog

18. Great ! Pretty soon you'll see if all your planning pays off. Can't put off buying that CF much longer. Question.... are there any strains that DONT smell ?

19. Yeah there are a few. If you look for them. I remember reading about them when I was looking up strains on kgb and leafly. There wasn't a lot of them only like 2 or 3 but there is some. The jack is a CH9 strain that they made up in their shop and is cross bred with 4 different strains. 1 of those strains beeing jack herer. Was doing some reading on it and it is supposed to be the least smelly of the strains I got. It's an indica / sativa hybrid so it grows a bit bushier then the chem (a sativa dom) plant. The jack was also a freebie.

20. Oh yes btw I added another light in the middle of the other 2 as I felt there wasn't enough light in there

[​IMG]