Grow box ventilation help!

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by CripConnoisseur, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Hello~ Im new to the GC forum and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with my grow box planning.
    So far I've got the box construction itself planned out, as well as what light and reflective surfaces I want to use (haven't purchased anything yet). Attached is my plan so far.

Here's a link to the light I plan on using for this grow:
    HTG Supply - 2 Foot 4 Lamp PL-55 Tek Lamp
    I would outfit it with 2 grow/2 flower bulbs

My main problem right now is ventilation.
    Currently, with the door in place, the box would be completely air/light proof, so I need to know where I should make my ventilation and electrical (wiring) cuts, preferably with as few new holes as possible.

I was considering buying
    HTG Supply - 6" Inline Duct Fan
    HTGSupply - 6 Inch Flange and Coupler
    and perhaps ducting, should I require it.
    If anyone has a good thread to refer me to a direct link would be appreciated!

This is my first GCF post, so thanks for taking the time to respond~

-CripConnoisseur

Attached Files:

2. Put your intake down low so it gets cooler air(heat rises) and place your 4" inline fan and carbon filter at the top. Your box is pretty close to mine and I put the carbon filter on the outside of the box and had the fan suck air out of the box and through the carbon filter. Once you have a nice intake fan and carbon filter add a few fans inside the box plants love wind! It helps with the tencil stregth of their stems. Hopefully I was

3. Intake - by that you mean just another regular inline fan (like the one I've got a link up there to), pointed inward?
    And my outtake fan would be pointed outward, suspended from the top of the box somehow, with the carbon filter over the blowing end.
    All that sound correct?

Thanks for the RE:

- CripConnoisseur

4. Yes that is correct. That will work wonders for ventilation and smell.

5. Sweet thank you~
    Can my intake/outtake fans be the same power/CFM rating? Or should one be a bit stronger than the other?

6. I made my exhaust stronger than my intake by about 50cfm. Only because I wanted to ensure that the smell got pushed through the Carbon filter. I suppose it does not necessarily matter unless you are dependent on either cooling the box down or smell reduction.

7. The filter should be on the intake side of the exhaust fan. You want to pull through filters, not push.....if that makes sense.

8. #8 xBuds Bunnyx, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    [quote name='"818420"']The filter should be on the intake side of the exhaust fan. You want to pull through filters, not push.....if that makes sense.[/quote]

Push was a poor choice of words. My exhaust is set up so that the fan sucks air out of the cab and through a carbon filter. It technically does push the air throught the carbon filter but due to space constraints I can not have the Carbon filter sucking air out of the box. Either way my way works its just not as effecient.

9. Ahh I got it, gets the smell before pushing the rest of the air out, instead of pushing the smelly air into the filter~

Thank you!

By any chance would you have any knowledge of (organic) soils ? I need some help getting my nutrient levels right, here's a link to my other thread~

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1074141-organic-soil-help.html#post15156609