grow box questions

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by gnarkill, Feb 28, 2009.

1. #1 gnarkill, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2009
    i am turning the top part of my dresser (large open cabinet like space) into a grow box for the vegetative stage. it is 31" high, 38" wide, and 18" deep. it has a reflective white (kinda glossy) paint to it, and is completely air tight. I have never grown marijuana before, but i have a few books on it a friend gave me, and ive been reading the things on these forums. i am very limited on money, and the dresser must look like an actual dresser (no strange foil pipes comming out of the back).

i am planing on vegging 4-6 plants from germination in this space, until they are ready for flowering (seeds arent feminized, so a few males might get ditched along the way)

questons

Lighting
    i could either get a 400W HPS, but after reading these forums, i also would like to try 4 24W 6500k daylight CFL bulbs. plus i think they wouldent get as hot.

Ventilation

I would like to drill some holes in the back, and make 1 fan blowing in, and 1 fan blowing out (square computer fans). I do not know how to set these types of fans up, though. also i have a small fan for air circulation in the grow box.

Stealth

I live with my parents who are pot heads, but for some reason hate the idea of me doing it. i recently turned 18. they do not grow, but maybe if they find my plants i can explain to them why its a good idea
    if you could, please post facts about small indoor growing, and why it is a good idea to people who are skeptical or afraid of the police. (im talking 4 plants flowering at a time).

PLEASE please post help with the following topics. i really need some advice about the lighting, how to set up computer fans so they can plug into a USA wall outlet (or other ventilation), and the PROs and CONs of growing (maybe some facts too).

ANYWAYS ill check on this thread often and i will be giving the incentive of +rep to anyone with advice, but im a new grower and i need some help.

Thank you for your time. will add pics when i finish the setup.

by the way, i found this info

2. come on damn i need some help

3. Hey Bro! Here's my best shot to lend a hand, though my common sense may be a tad off...hahah!

The Veg dresser idea is killer... period.

I also would highly recommend going with the highest watt CFLs (might be 100w) rather than an HPS. CFLs wont generate much heat at all, they can be placed very close to the plants, and running only 2 per plant mine have veg'd fine in the past. I certainly would not go this route with flowering, but for veg it's absolutely the only way I see.... CFLs are just too damn efficient not to use em.

Ventilation with computer fans will work and the easiest way to set this up is pickup the cheapest computer power supply you can find. Easy attachments and no additional wiring required. This also will give you the 'upgradeability' if you decide later to add additional computer fans.

As far as the pro's and con's for growing and the risks involved...here is my take without being salesy:

First, whoever hooked you up with those books - convince them you read them and have decided it's just too risky to grow. Give the books back to him or tell him you got rid of them. Ya need to ENSURE 100% that no one even suspects you are growing. Period.

Risks with growing are always there - if you're house accidentally got a kitchen fire and the Fire Dept had to be called, you'd be fucked. If a meteor landed in your front yard, also, fucked again. If carefully managed, your risk factor will be significantly reduced....and then, there are the benefits....

For those with a medical need, growing bud allows patients to obtain their medication without requiring them to interact with another person/dealer/thug/troublemaker/etc. They are 'safe' and 'secure' when obtaining their medicine.

Growing bud also ensures that the patient will NEVER inhale smoke from bud sprayed with pesticides - which happens A LOT with street weed. The patient is smoking the 'cleanest' medication possible.

Growing bud allows the patient to decide what 'type' or strain of medication they want vs. having to settle for whatever 'Tbone' has for sale that day.

Growing bud in the US is quickly becoming a #1 topic discussed on the White House lawn. Senators and Lawmakers are quickly realizing the benefits of legalization.

Not much else to say on it... Hope that helps ya out

4. yeah but i was wondering if anyone come come up with a plause to convince my noisy parents that its good to grow (besides medical use, they smoke btw.)

5. Bro - if your parents dont see the benefits of growing outweigh having to purchase it through dealers - I'm not sure what you expect from the forums... I listed valuable reasons which are current. Only YOU know your parents chief, guess my common sense was a bit off.

6. #6 gnarkill, Feb 28, 2009
    ahdurr you think. haha im kidding. im probably just going to deadbolt my door.

they are pretty stubborn and ignorant people. thanks for the advice klutter +rep

ochit already gave it to you like 2 times before

7. Gotta say one thing though that I'm surprised I didnt voice earlier: I strongly oppose any kid growing in their parent's home without consent. They are risking the freedom of their family and possibly their residence without their knowledge... far from cool.

I also would be surprised if in 3 months you sat down with your parents to again discuss approval for growing - and tried to sell them on the fact that you already did a grow secretly and see how stealthy it is. Might not win the argument due to trust issues.

Absolutely sucks that they aren't cool with growing...but at the same time, they're payin the bills so what they say should be respected.

There, my conscious is clear once again...hahah

8. #8 gnarkill, Feb 28, 2009
    if you are reading this klutter, what you said was my exact plan, and i also thought of cutting them in on the product. i was thinking more long term though, like 6 months.

EDIT: due to the terrible economy in my state, i have to help out sometimes.

9. Hmmm...well, again I gotta admit only you know your parents. I just put myself in my shoes as a kid, or as a father...and if my kid tried to prove a point to me by going behind my back, and risking my ass even though I didnt want it risked: I would flip way the fuck out. I mean it's not like stealing 100.00 from his wallet....it's quite literally risking their freedom and their home.

Pretty heavy shit when ya stop to think on it.

However it also depends on how willing they are to hear ya out - considering they do blaze. I mean they are already putting themselves and YOUR freedom at risk by buying/smoking the shit. Parents get arrested for drugs and the kid usually goes to the state.... so it's a 2 way street so to speak.

Oh well - good luck with it bro. Hopefully ya aint got too long before ya can move out on your own, and do things the right way.