grow box material?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by owneIIbudz, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. HIGH ALL!!!! ive finally started to gather material to start to build my grow box. im planning on running 6 plants with 2 plants per storage bin under a 600watt hps along with cfls (cfls will be used for veg). now my question is what should i use to build this box so its not a fire hazard? i was thinking about framing the box with 2x4s and then using drywall (green board actually so mold isnt an issue). does this seem like a bad idea? im just scared about using plywood for the interior.

    another question is wiring... im planning on putting a 20 amp in the box and running a new outlet dedicated for this. do you think 20 will be suffcient or no?
  2. oh and to add on this i will be running 3 bubblers, 4 fans (i think they are 80cfm) and 3 y connectors with 2 45watt cfl on each so 270 actual watts from cfls. it will also have a timers for lights but fans will be on 24/7
  3. You'll be fine with plywood or greenboard. If you use any lumber, get untreated lumber for the box. If you use greenboard, be sure to put a coat of primer and paint and tape and mud any areas where loose particles are to prevent dust from blowing. Any where you put a screw, mud over it. I built a wooden box for a cab grow originally and have had 650w in there closed and was fine for any fire concerns. I eventually decided that the box was no longer needed as I've dedicated two rooms in my house for this, one for veg and the other for flower. I build homes for a living, so my experience should be of help on this. Good luck.
  4. Also, may I ask why you decided on possibly using greenboard? It's not a fire-proof material if that was your reasoning behind using it. It's water-resistant but not waterproof. Just forgot to ask and add that bit of info in my last post.
  5. So I built an ebb&flow setup with a flood table and a wood frame. I was thinkin of building a grow box to contain the light and heat. What fabric material should be used for the outside? all I would have to do is get mylar and the black fabric and put it over the setup but i am unable to find what it is called.

Share This Page