Grow Box Lighting/Design Help

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by BayAreaBurninIt, Nov 10, 2009.

1. So I am building a 4'x3'x1.5' grow box and I am having a hard time finding helpful information on how to put it together. I have the frame all put together using pvc, the only other item I have so far is my 400w HPS bulb which was a hand-me-down.

I am really looking for information on setting up the walls and ligthing power. I was planning on using heavy duty tarp for the walls and lining it with fire-resistant material. My family is worried about a fire starting so I wanted to add somethng to the tarp to make them feel better.

I also was looking for some information on lighting, mainly how to wire it. I have been looking around GC and was having a hard time finding threads on it. The box I am building right now is going to be for a mother plant so right now I have the one 400w HPS which I was told should be enough. Do ballasts plug into a normal house outlet or do I need to do differently?

Any information would be great, even if its just a link to another page.

Thanks guys.

2. HPS and pvc dont mix well. Do yourself a favor and build one out of wood. It is kind of hard how to tell you to run power to it if you do not give us some more info about the location of the grow. Don't waste time trying to get light tight with tarps and such around pvc. Get some nails and a hammer and good old 2x4s and build a frame, then get some plywood of sorts and make a box. Wire it properly and add a door. seal all the joints and paint it flat white. If done right, fire should not be a concern, but a smoke detector is not a bad thing to keep near your grow.

3. thanks for the information. I was thinking, if I am just doing mommies and clones I could get away without using HPS bulbs right? I'm gonna take your advice and planning on build a seperate box for HPS veg/flower. I know wood was a better material but I just had the PVC around.

4. thats usually how it goes. I like to use what I have as well. I just never seem to have it:p:smoking::smoking: off to the depot:D

5. So I am in the process of building and trying to figure out where and how many CFL bulbs I am going to have to plan on using for the moms and clones. I know I am going to need at least a couple so I was going to try and mount them from all sides for optimal lighting.

One more thing. Would you guys suggest making a ScrOG for my veg/flower box? I have some purple kush clones so I think the screen would really help get the most out of them. When you build the screen you make it so that it is movable right? or does it stay in one spot?