Grow Box help pleaseee!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by kimchijiga, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am constructing a grow box to use in the closet of my condo. So far I have built the frame of my box but haven't started anything else b/c I have lots of questions. I have been doing a fair share of reading all over the place which have made me ask more questions.
    My grow box is approximately 5 ft tall and 2 1/2 ft wide. I was planning to grow 1 or 2 plants at a time. I'll lay out my questions and ideas and hopefully you guys can help me.

a) I was thinking about insulating and caulking my grow box. In theory this would help keep the temperature where I want it with less work. I have not seen or read about any that are insulated however and would like to know if I just missed it or it is a bad idea?

b) how many plants could I grow in my box at a time? I was hoping it would be enough space for 2 plants but its not a problem if only 1 fits.

c) how can you control the temperature of the grow box? if there are multiple ways what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

d) What kind of light should I use? How Powerful should it be and how many should I use? I was thinking of using Hps for one stage and Mh for the other. This is one of my biggest dilemmas and would like to get the most information if possible.

e) do I need some sort of filter or glass for the light to pass through?

f) Was planning on using computer fans to circulate air, is this good enough?

g) for incoming outgoing air supply I was thinking about making two holes, one on each side of the box. the left side would have a duct and a fan sucking in outside air. the right side would have the outgoing air pushed out by another fan that runs the air through a carbon scrubber to get rid of the smell. would this work?

h) I was also planning on using Mylar for the inside of the box, assuming there aren't many risks in doing this.

i) what should I use to seal the edges of the door when it is closed?

j) is there anything else? if so please let me know even if its something you feel is minute, it never hurts to double check.

Thank you all in advance for your input. I really do appreciate the help. I know i'm probably the 5 millionth person to ask all these questions, but I really would like to make my box as perfect as possible. Thanks for all the help! I'll post pics of the box when done.

2. Alright...lets see what I can do here...

a) Sealing your box is a good idea to help prevent light leaks, reduce odour and maintain negative pressure. I can't see insulating your box being all that useful if you are using air from the room that the box is in to cool/ventilate it...

b) 2.5' wide by how deep? You should be okay with one plant per square foot unless you are planning on growing monsters...

c) http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/594150-ventilation-faq.html

d) MH for veg, HPS for flower 150W will be sufficient for 1 or 2 plants...you may have some issues with cooling as they tend to put out quite a bit of heat so CFLs could be an option...http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/122824-kamels-cfl-guide.html

e) No...unless you are sealing your light fixture for cooling purposes...

f) See c

g) See c

h) Mylar is good...just get real mylar, not an emergency blanket...http://forum.grasscity.com/grow-room-design-setup/165331-getting-most-your-lights.html

i) Properly applied weatherstripping will work...

j) Probably lots, but I think you should have enough to digest for the moment...;)

3. Thanks for all the great info! My box is 2.5 ft deep and wide, although I could adjust this as I only have made a frame at this point.

4. Sounds fine for 2 plants...