Grow Box Exhaust Setup

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Tenacious Trichomes, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Hey guys! Doing a 250 watt cfl grow in a 2x1.5x3 box. Looking for an efficient exhaust setup that is reasonably priced. I would like to hook up a carbon filter as well to this exhaust setup for flowering too. Will prolly use ona tell as well to save unwanted odours... Thoughts on exhaust setup...I am on a budget to get rolling. Will have two or three passive intakes and at least two PC fans inside for air movement...thanks in advance

2. Bongsauce, my box frame is done and I will get pics up shortly. I would love your recommendation on an efficient exhaust and filter setup for my box size...and costs as I may need to save some. I will go cheap and use PC fans for air movement inside tho

3. @[member="Tenacious Trichomes"] Hah, did you end up getting that Sterilite cabinet I used? I had a Soler & Palau TD-125, which was certainly more than I needed, but I can still use it on my bigger box (and still use it on bigger boxes in the future)
    You can wire it to run at 135CFM or about 200CFM - pretty sure I had mine on 200CFM during the summer and it kept the temps down nicely.
    You certainly don't need that much CFM in that small box but you may wish you went bigger in the future. It will help especially if you are a very warm climate as well.

4. Atmo, I ended building a box 2x1.5x3 on a budget. Is there a smaller size as it's on 9 cu ft my box lol!! I will build bigger later and prolly this a mother box..all I need is to exhaust for one floating plant...what would a decent fan and filter cost you think? Smell is my main concern...

5. #5 Atmo, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    I'm not sure really. I built my own carbon filter:
    [​IMG]

It worked great. I basically wrapped that in cheesecloth and filled it with activated carbon, zip tied the cheesecloth wrap. Fairly cheap and easy to make. You don't need a crazy expensive carbon filter, it's really super basic, some cheesecloth, chicken wire, ducting and tape, throw some carbon in there and you're good to go (just make sure there are no leaks, but metal ducting tape is good for that)

As far as fans, I'm not really sure... I am glad I got that fan, though because in the dead summer even with the AC on in my room temps got up to 90F some days.. things heat up quick in a small box.. although I had a 150w HPS in there with 250w CFLs as well, so there was a lot of light.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help.. Soler & Palau are a great brand, though, maybe check to see if they have smaller options? I'm sure there are other great options, though. The S&P fans are very quiet also which I like.

I bet you could get away with using a couple computer fans depending on local temperature and the heat from your lights. Not sure how well that will work with a carbon filter, though, I'm sure there are tutorials for small PC fan carbon scrubbers. I'm sure I've seen them when I was looking into micro grows. I don't have experience with that kind of stuff, though, so someone else may have a better suggestion. There's gotta be a really nice quiet fan for tiny grow boxes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Atmo, that filter is sweet! Do you have plans for that? Does it attach right to that soler Palau fan you mentioned? I may go that route just to be safe...maybe bit smaller tho. You are a grey help,!thanks!!

7. I don't have plans I pretty much just went into Home Depot and fiddled with the ducting and sorta built it in there haha. I forget exactly what parts I used but I can inspect it later when I get home. It was pretty easy, essentially just duct reducers, collars and caps. There are also DIY threads on making carbon scrubbers you could check out in the DIY section, I think I got the inspiration from there somewhere. And yeah it fit right onto the ducting from the fan. Only issue with my S&P fan is it's 5" which is hard to find ducting for locally.. I had to order insulated ducting at 5", all the home depot sizes are even numbers typically.

8. Thanks man! I'll check it out!!

9. I know you've done your research. Have you or did you look at commercial carbon filters for you s&p? If so, which ones? I'm not the greatest DIY so I may just buy the filter.

I think I did look some up but don't remember which ones, I didn't really look into that too much, though, I went the DIY route on most of my stuff, so I really have no idea, someone else should have some suggestions, though