Grow box 50% complete

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by GCincognito, Jun 23, 2011.

1. #1 GCincognito, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2011
    Just about done finishing this grow box. Its going to be in a closet replacing an eye sore of a box. The only thing i have to do to the box now is to clean up the inside, cut holes for intake, cut holes for exhaust fan, add drain tube, and add weather stripping to the door. Planning on doing a DWC grow, single plant. Still waiting on my lights, beans, new exhaust fan, Ph tester, nutes, and mylar; then we will be rocking and rolling. In the mean while here are some pictures of where im at.

Have to give credit where credit is due. Rumple for the great bubble bucket plan, and Microgrower420 for box ideas.

Attached Files:

2. Very nice cant wait to see it complete!

3. Thanks for your kind words, im stoked. Do you have a grow going on?

4. YES! Finally, This is a neat sized box,

What are the specifications that are going into this cool little construction?

5. Im going to be using 2ft 4 light t5 at 8000 lumens for veg and probably for flowering for now too until i can get something a little more suitable. Using a 170 CFM high velocity van for cooling the cab. Which should be plenty even when i through a carbon filter in line. The box is only like 25 square feet, so that stays in line with exchanging the air over 5 times a minute at medium velocity. It will be wrapped with mylar, and going to be using Rumples DWC bubble bucket with the lucas formula and general hydroponic nutes. The only thing i havent really decided on is what strain haha, thinking THC bomb to start. Sounds like its pretty forgiving with high yields still. Only doing one plant at a time, but it will be worth it.

So far i think its all planned out, but any advice is welcomed and appreciated. Should get everything else order by next friday

6. I would recommend some PL-L lights for that box if you already have a a 24" t5ho fixture you could recycle the ballasts. You will get a slightly less light output but greater concentration. You possible could get 2 of these setup in that box. Your advantage going with these is you could mount ballast externally to help lower temps, additionally the lights themselves produce most there heat at socket. So with this attribute if you place some PC fans directly over sockets pulling air across them it will keep the bulbs very cool. Attached Philips brochure on lights and quick drawing.

Attached Files:

7. Very good recommendation.

Everytime I see you post something inda it's always worth reading.

8. Thank you for your input, im going to have to start looking into this. I might try to do this when i get my real seeds rather than my bag seeds. Would it still be beneficial if heat wasnt an issue? And thank you for stopping by

9. I have plans for a very similar one to what you got going on but its still just a plan.. Im going to have my buddie build a wardrobe measuring 78" h x 50" w and 30 or so inches deep gonna do a dwc grow.. well see how it goes :rolleyes:

10. I have been pushing PL-L lamps for a bit but they have not really gained as much popularity as they have in Europe. Under the right circumstances they are a good option for grows when heat or space prevent the use of HID. I will try and try and get a thread started with everything I know about them to allow people to make a knowledgeable decision about them.

11. Nice that will be a good grow set up, i cant wait to see it. Thats a good sizes room good luck

12. I would be very interested in hearing what you know, knowledge=power. When i get some more time ill probably do some research myself.

13. I will start one this weekend. There is many thing people over look when it comes to florescent, just like hid not all ballast run the lights as well, so when one is looking to maximize the advantages of these lights there is more to look at then just what bulbs are being used. For example a 6" vortex uses 100w while as my scythe 3k uses 8watts (figuring in power conversion). Just this means I can run almost 2 more bulbs for the same power use and maintain temps still. If you have to run heavier fans, chiller, ac and what not to keep you HID box from becoming an oven might as well change over to lights with heat that is easier to manage and run more lights. I can cool my 4 bulb setups with a single 8w fan where as my 600w sun pulse requires a 6" inline fan. For me it not a matter of a lower electricity bill it is what the lines can handle. Overall all my stuff draws about 2400w so I am closer to maxing out two breakers, I do not own my house so it not like I can add another line so in order to "grow" my setup I have to look at how to use my power better.

14. Well i got my lights in from HTG and they sent me an upgraded version due to lack of inventory on the one i ordered. So thats awesome, its a much better light; however i built my box around the dimensions of the other lights lol. So tomorrow ill be heading out to homedepot or lowes and building a new box with slightly different dimensions.

15. You can still keep that box as a mother chamber though ;)

16. See thats what i was thinking, or use it for a flowering chamber. I could probably fit a 400W HPS in there :) little more narrow. I am going to run out to lowes and go get some more wood and rebuild today...actually right now. But first ill take a picture of some new growth :hello:

Micro, had a question. How long are you keeping your new cuts/seedlings under the CFLs before moving them to the T5 fixture? and BTW i ended up with the same T5 set up you have lol.

17. Havent been completely lazy. Just got a new little sprout. Getting these bagseed seeds to start is frustrating. Temps have been amazing so far, Highest i have seen it is 80 degrees; and thats with no venting just a fan.

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0028.jpg

IMAG0029.jpg

IMAG0030.jpg

18. Yea man that t5 kicks some major butt.

I keep my seedlings under t5 light right away and my clones go under there after they root, I move all my clone plants under HID after 1 week. I move my seedlings after 2 weeks or so.:D:wave:

Pretty looking seedlings so far bro.

19. ok awesome that sounds perfect. Ill probably put mine under the T5 for another week or two then start the flowering process. The plant looks very healthy right now. From what i have been told the seeds came from a no name strain grown hydroponically, so hopefully they are at least decent plants.

20. Alright guys, got my new box finished for the most part. I think i may make it a two door cabinet. It fits so snug and once i get my ventilation set up will not even be noticed. I now have my T5 set up in there. It fits pretty snug as well, i may have to rig up some PC fans on the fixture to pull the cold air up and out; but we will see. If anyone is interested in seeing a mini write up on how i built it let me know. Over all i like this box alot more. It fits perfect and i have more room in the box by down sizing to 2X2s. Once my mylar gets here it will be wrapped completely. And the box is completely light proof when the door is shut properly.

IMAG0046.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg