Grow 1 in Fish Tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drugsy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. FIRST TIME ATTEMPT AT HYDRO. I have grown three years succesffully indoors and outdoors, but always soil. I want to try on small scale this whole hydro thing and get a comparison. I'll be using my strains I've had these past 3 years: Afghan Kush, Grand Daddy Purps, The God's Gift (to Purple), and Sour Diesel ( My FAVORITE!!!!)

FYI: I will try this once outdoors and once indoors. First indoors cause it's a little late for me to go outdoors.

So I've got this fish tank, quite small. its hectagonal? (6 sided) and a 1ft. tall.
    About 7"+/- diameter

I have a small aquarium pump for 15 gal. tanks that i've used for this b4. I believe it's like 7-10 gallons or something. anyway.
    I have:

1. Pump with tubes & bubble stone for the bottom to evenly distribute oxygen
    2. Thermometer
    3. Distilled Water? (Thats what i want, right?)
    4. Clones: (See Above)

I NEED:

Nutrients = WHAT SHOULD I USE? I want as little as possible.

I should use Distilled water, right?

Extra:

ANYTHING ELSE anyone thinks would be neccessary to a successful first time hydro set up let me know PLEASE

ANY INFO. IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

Attached Files:

2. dont forget about a reservoir and grow medium like hydroton.

As for nutes... keep it simple... General Hydroponics / Lucas method.

A PH meter with reference solution and PH up/down will be bandy.

3. 1. dont forget about a reservoir and grow medium like hydroton.

- So I have a 5 gallon water bottle as a reservoir, as well as
    - Hydroton clay pellets in a 6 in. net pot (How big will a plant in 6 in. pot get?)

2. As for nutes... keep it simple... General Hydroponics / Lucas method.

- Like I said I'm new, Could you elaborate on thsi Lucas Method?, ALSO
    - I've only used soil with bat guano, bananas, fish, etc. evertyhing from the Earth so like mixing this shit with water is straight weirddd

3. A PH meter with reference solution and PH up/down will be [h]andy.

- I NEED to get one of these ph meters (Where's Cheap?) and is there any palce cheap for ph up/ down or should I just go to the hydro store

AND

TO CONNECT:

5 gallon reservoir ------------> Fish Tank

Do I empty fish tank and add neew water from reservoir every time I want to change water.

I want to run a simple, easy set up (tho none of this seems too easy) and I am still at a loss for how this all goes down. Help please

Thank you!

4. I am no expert at creating bubble bucket hydroponic systems from scratch... maybe I'm just too impatient to build my own. For me I bought General Hydroponics Hydroempire, Organic Hydroponic Nutrients, Indoor Grow Lights and Supplies - WaterFarm Complete [HGSGHKIT] - $55.95$49.95 Water Farm Complete for my first set up. I didnt have to worry about drilling holes or creating a plumbing system. Super simple - Great Results

As for nutes.... Just do a search on this site or the web in general for "The Lucas Method". The Lucas Method is basically the use of General Hydropincs Nutrients Flora Micro & Flora Bloom products. Very simple and it works.

PH Meter....... Hydroempire, Organic Hydroponic Nutrients, Indoor Grow Lights and Supplies - Oakton PH Tester 2 [OKPH-2] - $85.95

5. Im not sure how your planning on setting up the fish tank. But you don't want the Light to be able to get through to the water/root system, causes algae.

Cheap nutrients that have everything for hydro I like to use Flora Nova Grow and Bloom.

I built my bubble bucket very basic and cheap cost me like $20 total. Works great no light leaks.

6. dangreen
    do you have pics of your $20 bubble bucket. i'd love to c

i've done multiple calculations and all cost me $100 + just for thsi stupid fish tank. I'd def like to go th easier way since this is my first time

7. I don't have any pictures but It is a basic black 5 gallon bucket with a net lid built in. Then I drilled on the side a of the bucket for my air line to run my air pump stone down to the bottom of the bucket. Then I use a spare 5 gallon bucket and change my res once a week.
    The lids for the 5 gallon buckets you can get at htgsupply.com. The bucket is like $5 then the air pump and stone and your pretty much set.

htgsupply.com

carries complete bubble drip buckets for like $60 with a hose drain. I just made the cheap one to make sure I could get it down but I am planning on upgrading to the drip line.