GROUNDHOGS...how do you deal with them?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by yinyang, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Last year I had a decent op going on but something was disturbing my plants, digging at the roots, stripping leaves and branches off, I didn't actually see groundhogs but all signs point to them or gophers according to that type of damage (critter section of marijuana bible).

To make things worse it seems like there's NOTHING you can do about them besides killing them or trapping them. I dont have time to sit around with a shotgun I'm trying to grow not hunt gophers.
    Has anyone ever dealt with these bastards?

The only solution I could think of would be to keep them in pots then they couldn't dig them up but then all the backbreaking work I did last year hauling and amending the soil goes to waste...unless I dig the soil out and fill pots with them if that makes any sense...ideas?

2. watch caddy shack

3. Dog poo! I know it sounds sick but trust me it's worth it..

4. Throw garlic cloves around. They hate that shit

5. Word? So basically mark the territory then. Cool thanks for the input

6. Hey would using sheep or cow manure with the soil help?

7. Go to a hunting store like cabellas or gander mountain n buy either coyote or bobcat urine the smell of a predator will keep them and rabbits away you could also try dog hair just brush a dog n spread it around these all work

8. Also hot pepper oil would probably work on the lower stem/branches. Have you considered a small HAV-A-HEART trap with a half an apple as bait? You can trap them fairly easily I actually used to have one.

9. Throw garlic around. It works for My landscaping job.

10. Fellow landscaper :smoke:

11. I suppose this might not work with illegal marijuana gardens in the woods...

but when groundhogs want to fuck with my veggies I put a bit of lead in their head.

12. .22 cricket, hollow points.

13. castor oil, soak it into the ground around your grow.. it repells the bastards.

they sell actual castor oil pellet at most nurseries, that water in

14. Gamo whisper.

15. I just kill the pieces of shit.

16. talk to bill murray....he knows

17. #18 MIjbr90190, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
    A .22 with sub sonic rounds will take care of your pest effectively and quietly. Or trap them. I know you said you wanna grow and not hunt. The only way to really eradicate them from the grow area would be death or relocation. Yoi can visually see the problem solved and be 100% that its taken care of.

18. If you don't want to wait around for them to pop out of the holes to shoot their brains out (this is the most satisfying way), i'll tell you what I do.

When you get a fresh mound, I lightly dig at the mound until I find the hole. The hole will be back filled so get a long spoon and dig out the hole until you break into the tunnel. Once you get inside the tunnel, get a nice solid hose (I use pool pump tubing but shop vac/vaccume hose should work), and without collapsing the tunnel, thread the hose in the tunnel.
    Back up your car to the tunnel and put the hose in your exhaust pipe. I use paper towl to help get a better seal, then start your car and let it run for 15 minutes. After that, just take the hose out and refill the hole with the mound.

I've been using this method the last few years and this really works, no more mounds, no more pesky gophers!

19. MY uncle used to do that.. and he had a few thousand acres of farm land.. LOLS I forgot all about that trick.. brings up other memories of gophers getting into sprinkler pipes ( the old straight one son wheels..)when we moved em, sometimes gopher woudl use it as a burrow if we didn't move fast enough. We'd have to get em out with a coat hanger on the far end.. yuk. must be why I forgot the trick...