Ground Cover

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 918AutoGrower, May 26, 2018.

1. Where can I purchase the clover ground cover that helps with nitrogen on organic / living soil grows? My ingredients for my supersoil recipe are going to be arrivi g soon and I just need the ground cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. I’d definitely just order it online. I’ve been driving myself insane lately driving all over to hell and back trying to locally source certain seeds and things. It’s much simpler just to order it.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Okay. WHERE do people purchase it online? Is there a certain kind to order? I searched and there were too many options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. From what I can see, it looks like all the varieties do just about the same thing as far as which elements / nutrients they accumulate and fix into the soil. Seems like red or white clovers would be a safe choice.

If I’m not mistaken, Seeds Of Change sells cover crop seeds including clover. Supposedly all of their seed stock is produced organically and they don’t peddle genetically modified organisms.

Then again, I recently ordered Stinging Nettle seeds from an Etsy shop, because my locality is completely devoid of that plant. The seeds arrived, decent price, it hasn’t been long enough for me to give you a germination rate, but honestly all you can do is look at reviews from other customers if you go that route.

5. I bought red clover at a feed store. I think I bought 2lbs for $4.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. I wish I had one of these magical feed stores I keep hearing about near me, lol. Feed stores, yes, but they never have what I am looking for. Worth a try though, OP. Perhaps you’ll have better luck than I.

7. Johnny's Seed has an amazing selection on cover crop seeds. They even do different blends of different seeds.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I definitely recommend Johnny's Seed, especially if you live in the northeast US. Register an account and load your shopping cart, then wait a week or so. They will email you a 5% off coupon code. I have also heard good reviews of high mowing seeds, but have not used them myself. You might also want to check out the SARE cover crop manual (free to download) Managing Cover Crops Profitably, 3rd Edition. It has a good comparison of the types of clovers and will teach you everything you wanted to know about covers.

Generally white (dutch aka new zealand) clover is recommended. It is short and a perennial. Crimson and red clover are other good options, but a bit taller. Something like sweet clover will grow very tall in its second year, so you might want to stay away from that one. Make sure you get the rhizobium bacteria inoculant to go with it, unless you are planting outdoors then you may or may not want it.

It also combines well with a grass like annual ryegrass or cereal (aka winter) rye. The grass will store up excess nitrogen produced by the clover, then when you cut it down it can be released back into the soil. Just depends if you want to stay on top of trimming a grass all the time.

Sorry for nerding out I love cover crops. How tall is your space, how big are your pots, are you inside or outside?
    toaster

• Like Like x 1
  9. P any experience with yarrow or marigold

10. I planted a bunch of yarrow from seed last year. I tried to do it wildflower style via scatter. It failed. I grew one in a pot then transplanted it. It worked well and came back up this year. Yarrow grows wild here, but the roots are so shallow, its almost, almost, impossible to transplant from the wild.
    I am doing a bunch of Lupine right now. I direct planted some in a seed starter type top soil in a prepared trench. I also planted a metric shit ton in small pots and various containers for transplant. Most of the transplants that sprouted survived transplant. Too early tell on all the rest of the ones I started. Time will tell.
    I grow wild Kenai clover. Its white. I have grown crimson as well. I mix it up every year for diversity. I don't grow as a companion, but seed my lawn ( aka dynamic accumulator pasture) with it.
    cheers
    os

• Like Like x 1
  11. I added yarrow ahite cloves ans marigols to my indoor pots they all germinated just waiting for them to estahslib strong roots